PC games on HDTV

I have a new HDTV and I’d love to play some PC games on it.

As per my previous thread, the one I’d really love to play on it is GTA:SA. Unfortunately, it’s pretty hard to find.

What is a good list of PC games that:

Only need a controller (I have a PS2 dualshock hooked to my PC)

Have underscanned HDTV support (allow for 720x1280 res, or better yet something a bit lower than that to compensate for HDTV overscan)

Is there a website dedicated to this sort of thing? I found one that lists all HDTV modes for every console game ( http://www.hdtvarcade.com/xboxlist.htm )

The one game I have tried is Trackmania : Sunrise. It looks astounding.

Thanks!

Your TV has DVI in and your video card has DVI out right?

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/

Yes… DVI from the GeForce and HDMI into the TV.

why?

Well HDMI you will need a cable converter so you can plug the video card DVI in to the TV>

Oh.

I started this thread asking what PC games would be good to play that only need a controller.

I already have the TV hooked up to my PC.

Oh I thought you where asking about how to do it. Try HL2 /nod

This thread makes me giggle. Not really because there’s anything particularly funny here, but because of a snotty kid in DAoC.

We were in the BG’s and this kid was running us right on top of every group in the zone. Then, when we got some courage and decided on taking down the keep in the center, his response was “There’s 4 archers on the tower rims, 2 sorcs by the main gate, and a squad running up from the back right now. Let’s flank the squad.”

I smelled bullshit instantly, and a fun conversation between StrokerAce and I followed "Do we allow this guy to keep cheating and follow him ? Well … we don’t know that he’s cheating really. (Except, yes we did. We were just hooked on the kills). So, finally we call this chump on it, and his defense is a long drawn out discussion about how he plays on HDTV, and we’re all faggots for using regular CRT’s.

“Dude, you can’t see anything on those low definition monitors, you don’t know what you’re talking about.” As if High definition is so highly refined a resolution that you can actually see the gaps between the bricks in the castle walls.

Anyways, not sure if my own post was entertaining (might have been a you had to be there thing), but the morale is: Next time someone accuses you of cheating, you’re pretty much obligated to tell them you have HDTV, and they just can’t understand real skill playing on their pithy low def cancer tubes.

Yah, that doesn’t work so well (usually - depends on the HDTV, I s’pose)… Isn’t it HDCP that is the built in “copy-protection scheme” that DVI uses? That typically stops most HDTV’s from outputting any DVI signal coming from a PC (or at least it did in my case).

I have an All-in-Wonder Radeon 8500DV at home that I use in a Home Theatre PC (1080i looks pretty sharp). I tried going straight out of the DVI slot of my 8500DV and that didn’t work out. I had to buy one of those ATI HDTV adapters which in conjunction with Powerstrip (a utility for over-scanning and refresh tweaking) solved the HDTV problem for me (and didn’t require me to buy a whole new video card).

I’m pretty sure there are some VGA/DVI(digital)->Component(RGB - analog) converters that work just as well, but I knew coming in that the ATI HDTV adapters would work with my 8500DV without too much fuss (although, I admit, I am always messing with Powerstrip to get the “optimal” picture … not that it’s EVER really necessary to do so, of course, just tinkering :) )

• Jamie

edit: Linked to the webopedia entry for HDCP… The protection which tends to thwart most DVI(PC) to DVI(HDTV) projects

Also, I found these forums (AVS Forums) and this thread in particular extremely helpful when initially setting it all up…

I do enjoy playing many of the older games on this rig (since the 8500DV is not exactly cutting edge tech-wise), and the Logitech Wireless Rumblepad seems to pretty well too (about 10 feet away).

Heh… OK, well maybe someone else will find it helpful, I suppose… 8)

So, finally we call this chump on it, and his defense is a long drawn out discussion about how he plays on HDTV, and we’re all faggots for using regular CRT’s.

I really hope somebody told him that HDTV doesn’t support resolutions as high as the cheapo 100 dollar CRT monitor you can get from walmart and the like.

Yah, that doesn’t work so well (usually - depends on the HDTV, I s’pose)… Isn’t it HDCP that is the built in “copy-protection scheme” that DVI uses? That typically stops most HDTV’s from outputting any DVI signal coming from a PC (or at least it did in my case).
[/quote]

Think you are getting a little confused, or at least your wording is incorrect and/or confusing.

HDCP is the protocol that is carried over DVI and HDMI to enable copy protection. It does not stop a signal coming from the PC going to the HDTV. Since the PC signal is not HDCP protected the TV will just play it. So that’s not what stopped your PC from working with your HDTV, it was most likely an incorrect modeline, which can be very trick to get right.

HDCP is really pretty much a joke right now. It’s copy protection on a raw stream that nothing currently can handle other than to display. Trying to copy a movie from a raw DVI stream would require hardware no consumer has access to. It’s much more useful to try and get at the original mpg2/h264/VC1/whatever stream than to try and work with the gigantic raw bandwith that is DVI. They are just trying to cover their ass for down the road when such unimaginably large streams are treatable on a PC or cheap custom hardware.

Ah, makes sense…

Yes, my HDTV would not display the DVI signal from my PC no matter what I did. The cable was of high quality (I assume) since I subsequently used it to run from my HD-cablebox to my HDTV and the signal is excellent.

Not sure what is going on with the PC signal that is making my HDTV unhappy, but when sent as an RGB component input the HDTV is happy as a clam… I wish I could have figured it out, since it would have saved me about $80 for the ATI HDTV adapter and shielded component cable. :(

So, how’s that comin’, there, flyin? You getting the information you need?

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for PC GoGamer Price
$79.90

$54.79
New Seller: music_media (Safe buying guarantee)
Rating: 4.8 stars over the past twelve months (13185 ratings). Seller has 15890 lifetime ratings.
Availability: Item usually ships in 1-2 business days; Ships from FL, United States; Expedited shipping available.

Technically you can get it, just have to pay a bit of a premium.

Tho, that second listing is from amazon.com and that is close to what retail was before the big stink.