PC gaming Digital Distribution reliability & trust levels

In the past I have used a credit card at Amazon.com, Steam, GOG, GamersGate, Humble, and other online sites without any problems. But with all the hacking going on the the theft of customer information (including credit card numbers), I am beginning to have second thoughts about using my new credit card at any online retailer. I am considering using PayPal linked to my credit card as an added layer of protection, but doubtless PayPal isn’t immune to hackers.

One good thing about not using my new card is that I have saved quite a bit of money despite all the recent sales.

I use Paypal whenever I can. Of course Paypal needs access to a credit card or checking account, but at least it’s only one place.

I avoid Paypal whereever possible because of their rather scummy history.

Credit Cards are usually safe from major fraud. Don’t ever use a debit card though.

How about the ones that have already passed us by? Desura and Impulse? Both bit the dust (and I had some great games with Impulse).

Impulse bit the dust after it was obtained by Game Stop - did it not?
Used it a lot when it was Stardock run. Think the guy from Avault, Brian Clair(?) was running it for Stardock for a while.

Yeah, Impulse is caput, but I think Desura is still around. Probably not for long, though.

I’m just going to give them all a flat 10/10 and 10/10 because I have yet to have any problems with any digital retailer, be it getting a key or even getting my money back if I had to for whatever reason. Of course, I do also reserve the right to lower those scores should that change…

What was the game? What OS? Maybe people here can help.

I love GOG so much, even though I generally play even the games I buy on GOG on Steam since I tend to have both versions. It’s not surprising that there might be some quirks with backward compatibility, especially as they’re now reaching back to games released in the 1980s - 30 years ago (!), and everything almost always works. I initially loved them for just the Infinity engine games, etc., but the fact that they’ve managed to bring back SSI’s D&D games now, as well as Redguard (which has been essentially lost for years), and work with 3dFX-glide wrappers for games like that and I-War, the old Wing Commander/Privateer games and Star Wars sim, etc… And all the extras with the games (one of the main reasons I buy them, since I’ll likely never get around to replaying most of them).

Even though I love Steam and do most of my gaming on it these days, its absence wouldn’t really change the games I play – but if GOG hadn’t been invented, a lot of great games would be lost or a real hassle to try to access (for years I kept around an old DOS computer just for convenience) so it’s the only one of these services that I’m really grateful for.

Thank you for the offer but that ship sailed quite a while ago. Suffice it to say that my disappointment with GOG for not honoring their own refund policies is enough to ensure that I will never buy another product from their shop again. Even if somehow I could get the game working it would not change my mind about GOG since they, in a nutshell, lie and I have no patience for that kind of behaviour.

Isn’t their policy “try our techniques and if it still doesn’t work we’ll give you a refund?” I’m not sure how they lied. For what it’s worth I’ve only used it once and that was when I pre-ordered Worms World Party Remastered and then saw how shitty it was. I didn’t even download it before asking for a full refund and they gave it to me without question (I said it could be store credit and that’s what I got).

I’ll only buy DRM-free games from now on, so I don’t have much to add to this thread besides how much I like GOG. Humble occasionally does DRM-free still, but it’s more of a Steam key pusher than anything these days.

Yep. It’s pretty hard to press the “buy” button after being told to go pound sand when I had a problem.

On the other hand, they are a fine delivery method for keys bought elsewhere.

Absolutely. GOG does some great work setting up DOSBox or whatever it takes to get some extremely cranky pre-windows games running on modern PCs that would otherwise be unplayable by anyone unwilling to experiment with obscure settings or set up a virtual/actual machine. And who the hell can find a DOS boot disk anymore?

No worries, Granath. Can you tell us the game you had problems with so we don’t buy the game that could give us similar issues? DM me it if you would prefer.

Yes it is. You must have missed the part of my post where I explained that it did not work and the solutions they presented were to download third-party shareware programs from unknown sites to try to fix it. Since I am not in the habit of downloading unknown software from unknown websites (please note that at least one program they suggested is copyrighted and the link appeared to be a pirated version of it), I politely declined and asked for a refund. They declined my repeated requests since I was unwilling to fully comply with their suggestions. Thus they will not get my business again and that includes any CDProjekt program including Witcher 3. I do not reward dishonesty with my pounds, rupees and dollars.

For what it is worth, the program was the old Prince of Persia and the specific issue is long forgotten.

Think you’re punishing yourself more than them if the result is you not playing Witcher 3.

This thread is a fantastic idea! There are so many dodgy sites out there, it would be a great service to showcase some of the more reliable ones for QT3 folks looking to build a massive backlog. The following are all sites I have personal experience with:
(note - Steam and Origin are the only two services I feel comfortable saying will absolutely be around in 5 years, simply because Valve and EA are not going anywhere. With that in mind I am going to skip the “5 years” rating)

STEAM (Valve): reliability - 10/10, trust - 9/10
[ul]
[li]Good: If it’s a PC game, it’s probably on Steam. Frequent deals and sales. Platform is great for “collecting” and playing games.[/li][li]Bad: Support can be iffy. Platform has no real “download to local” capability, so should Valve ever fold…ouch.[/li][li]Summary : The 5000lb. gorilla in the room is not going anywhere anytime soon. I love Steam, and I use everything on it from the profiles to the reviews to the discussions to the trading cards and the marketplace. It’s revolutionized the way I game, no joke. Sure there is always the chance it could all vanish in a puff of virtual smoke, but that’s why I try to avoid buying full price digital games on the service. 90% of what I own on Steam I bought for a song via a sale, bundle or deal. [/li][/ul]

ORIGIN (EA): reliability - 8/10, trust - 9/10
[ul]
[li]Good: Stable platform (these days) backed by an industry giant. Frequent freebies are nice. [/li][li]Bad: Limited catalog playable only through the service. Sales and specials often aren’t very special.[/li][li]Summary : Origin started out terrible but has fixed most of it’s early issues and is a stable platform for purchasing and playing EA games. It’s strongest positive (the games) is also it’s biggest negative, as it only supports EA games. My Origin collection consists mainly of EA titles purchased via Humble Bundle, retail boxed copy redemptions via the site and games given to me free via the “On the House” promos.[/li][/ul]

GOOD OLD GAMES (CD Projekt): reliability - 9/10, trust - 9/10
[ul]
[li]Good: Old games! Duh! The definitive place to find classic titles from nostalgia that have been made playable for modern machines. Now that newer titles have also been added it’s a great DRM-Free alternative to Steam as a game collection/play platform. Occasional freebies.[/li][li]Bad: Limited selection of newer games. Sales not as steeply discounted as some. [/li][li]Summary: GOG is awesome. The only thing that keeps it from being 10/10 in both categories is the fact that it’s tied directly to CD Projekt and they don’t have the deep deep pockets of Steam or EA. I wouldn’t worry too much though, as GOG seems to be doing just fine. I love that they’ve brought back so many amazing games from my early years of PC gaming. On the other hand, they’ve ruined the value of my original retail box collection of those same games. ;-) I remember when my boxed copy of Forgotten Realms Archive Silver Ed. would have fetched $70 on Ebay…[/li][/ul]

GAMERSGATE: Reliability - 7/10, Trust - 9/10
[ul]
[li]Good: Wide selection of titles. Frequent sales with discounts that match Steam sales.[/li][li]Bad: I’ve had issues in the past with orders not going through (not being charged either, so like a total failure of the order system). Selection and price practically mirrors Steam these days.[/li][li]Summary: GamersGate was a fantastic site a couple of years ago. They had a huge selection, including a lot of Paradox, 1C and other Euro developers that you couldn’t find on sale anywhere else. The recent proliferation of bundle sites and digital distribution stores has really impacted GamersGate though, and now they seem more like an afterthought. Same selection as other sources, with pricing that isn’t always as low as others. The real shame though is that they’ve never modernized their store UI, so finding games you want is an exercise in frustration and browsing is painful at best. My reliability rating was adjusted to reflect this, as I believe GamersGate to be a digital distributor likely to close up shop in the next couple of years. [/li][/ul]

HUMBLE BUNDLE: Reliability - 9/10, Trust - 10/10
[ul]
[li]Good: Amazing bundle deals. Great storefront. Charity connection. Rock solid payment and redemption systems.[/li][li]Bad: Limited selection. New Monthly Bundle seems like money grab.[/li][li]Summary: I really like Humble Bundle, to the point where I purchase on average 2 bundles a month from them. The deals are usually fantastic, the bundles well thought out, and the store is nice with discounts that often match Steam Sale prices and occasionally go even lower. I really can’t say anything bad about Humble Bundle except that the recent round of layoffs had me a little worried about their longevity. I hope it’s something they can rectify easily, as I want Humble Bundle to stick around for a long time to come. [/li][/ul]

BUNDLE STARS: Reliability - 9/10, Trust - 9/10
[ul]
[li]Good: Best bundle deals anywhere, period. Frequently updated. Store is growing nicely. Solid payment and redemption systems. Keys come from publishers & devs, not third parties.[/li][li]Bad: Maybe a couple of the bundles are mostly junk? I’m nitpicking here though.[/li][li]Summary:BundleStars.com is one of my favorite places to find deals. It seems like they always have 8-10 bundles going at one time, many of which have multiple good games included. If you catch a bundle in the first 48-72 hours it’s often less than $2.50, which is absolutely amazing for what you receive. If you create an account (no payment info required) it will even store all your purchases so you can come back months later and redeem keys. The payment and delivery methods are automated and rock solid. I’ve purchased over two dozen bundles and games from BundleStars and never had any issues. [/li][/ul]

INDIE GALA: Reliability - 8/10, Trust - 9/10
[ul]
[li]Good: Frequent new bundles. Store is growing nicely. Solid payment and delivery systems.[/li][li]Bad: Bundles often not as high quality as other bundle sites.[/li][li]Summary: I’ve bought many bundles and keys from IndieGala.com over the past couple of years. They’ve slowly grown from one bundle a week to featuring several, and they now have a store as well. They have proven to be a reliable and responsible digital retailer. Like BundleStars.com, they are a place I have come to trust and look to often for deals. [/li][/ul]

GROUPEES: Reliability - 7/10, Trust - 8/10
[ul]
[li]Good: Mega Cheap. Deals in music and comic bundles in addition to games. Charity connection.[/li][li]Bad: Game bundles are often Steam Greenlight fodder and stuff you can find in the Weeklong Deals for under $1. Quality of the bundles and games has definitely gone downhill in recent months.[/li][li]Summary: Groupees.com is a site run by a handful of people. They put together bundles of games, music and comics mostly to benefit charities. They often feature Steam Greenlight bundles, which means the games are DRM Free but you will get a Steam key should they end up being Greenlit and sold on Steam. I’ve bought several bundles from them over the past couple of years, and I DO get the Steam keys as promised. It’s a fine site, my only caution would be that it is small, and thus prone to go under at the whim of the internet. I would highly recommend redeeming your keys or downloading your DRM Free content within 30 days of purchase to protect against this. [/li][/ul]

DAILY INDIE GAME: Reliability - 8/10, Trust - 8/10
[ul]
[li]Good: Features a $0.99 indie game every 48 hours. Also has half a dozen bundles up at any given time.[/li][li]Bad: Very limited selection. Bundles often include DRM Free games or Greenlight games. [/li][li]Summary: DailyIndieGame.com is a simple little site that offers a single indie game for $0.99, and changes the game offered every 48 hours. The game on offer is always a Steam game. They also feature DIG Bundles, which are usually half a dozen games lumped together for $1.49. These are often shovelware or Greenlight titles, but I’ve seen a couple of really good DIG bundles with games worth far more than what they’re asking. Again, DIG is a small site run by a couple of guys, so purchase via Paypal or another protected payment system, and register any Steam keys ASAP. [/li][/ul]

My advice there would be to avoid anything having to do with Digital River.

I would be far more inclined to pirate the game than to give them any money. I do not abide by dishonesty and I do not see any reasonable excuse for this simply being incompetence on their part.

Truthfully I do not feel like I am missing anything by not buying Witcher 3. I never could complete the first one since I always got bored somewhere around the end of Act 1. The second was fair but did not really grab me the way that Bioware, Obsidian and other RPGs tend to do.

I never got on with W1 or 2 but 3 is probably the best gaming experience bar none of recent times. Any sort of gamer that lieks any sort of rpg game really is missing out regardless of reason if they don’t play it.

I appreciate your reason for not getting it but unfortunately you cannot say you aren’t missing anything, you are, one amazing game.

I still don’t get where Granath’s problems with GOG support ended up with not playing Witcher 3. It is available on Steam after all.