PC Gaming in the 2010s - what did I miss?

Do you like shooters? I loved this one:

There was a second one as well, but I did not enjoy the level design as much. Still fun though.

Oh and if you like scares, this one is gorgeous, scary, and loads of fun:
edit: Oh wait that was a console port wasn’t it? Damn.
edit 2: Apparently Shadow Warrior went to console as well.
Sorry. As I don’t own a current console, I got behind. You may disregard my entire post. :-(

I think it will be hard to find a shooter released in the last 8 years with a large single player portion that’s not on consoles as well. On the mp front, you generally have to go the more hardcore (and Indie) route, with titles like Insurgency (and soon Insurgency: Sandstorm), Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, Day of Infamy, Squad, Post Scriptum, and the “classic” ArmA III (and whatever else I’m forgetting). There’s also some CoD clones like Battalion 1944 (CoD 2) and Ironsight (Black Ops II) that’s pretty good for what they are. And finally, there’s a couple of titles in the new PvEvP looter genre (“competitive quester”) worth checking out: Hunt: Showdown and Escape From Tarkov.

If someone tells you chess is a better game then checkers they’re not wrong per se. But you can still have fun playing checkers. Just because something is better “technically speaking” doesn’t mean the other thing is actually bad. But for some people the successful implementation of technical complexity and interplay of rule systems, and a game being fun, is functionally synonymous.

Objectively speaking, most dispassionate players i think would agree that CIv 4 “works” as a game better than Civ 5. But CIv 5 does many, many other things well. Ultimately the kind of person that wants mastercrafted swiss watchmaking is not going to like Civ 5, since there is a lot of frission between what the AI can handle and what the game asks the player to do.

OTOH, i feel like CIv 6 actually does a lot of things wrong. Civ 5 just doesn’t play as well as it should.

If either you are @BrianRubin are wondering, Midgard makes Civilization 2: A Test of Time the greatest civilization game of all time.

Followed closely by Fall from Heaven 2.

Find me version that works with Civilization 5 or 6, and maybe, just maybe, I’ll change my mind.

Reaaaaaalllly… I’ll have to try it!

Please do. I might be wearing nostalgia glasses.

Now I’m sad I never tried the Midgard scenario. I owned Test of Time back in the day. I think I played the main Civ2 campaign with the Test of Time changes, and briefly tried the future and fantasy scenarios, but didn’t care for either of those.

Edit: By the way, I still count Civ2 as my favorite Civilization experience. Remember those Wonder movies? I loved seeing the guy leading the camels in the little Pyramids movie. Those little movies were such a great reward for getting a Wonder built before anyone else. Sadly, I can’t go back to Civ2 for gameplay reasons (Civ3’s diplomacy options).

It’s pretty fun. 7 nations, with unique units, interesting tiles, and events that slowly change the world or spawn monsters.

A simplified Fall from Heaven 2, using Civilization 2.
The only sad part is the lack of random maps or starts.

I don’t like random maps, since I like playing Civ only on the Earth map, so I don’t mind playing the same map over and over. (In fact, it’s just not Civ to me without the Earth map). But I hated Scenarios that started you off in the middle of something. Like the Civ2 scenarios involving World War 2, where you’re on a map of Europe, and all these units are already on the map, and turn 1, you’re already overwhelmed with decisions.

I can’t agree more. I hate starting out with too many things to do and not having control of the start.

Midgard, you started with a single small City and units. Or maybe it was a settler and a few units. Whatever it was, you started the game at the beginning of it and had to build up.

Is the Ragnarok expansion for Titan Quest worth it?

That’s a tough one. The new thrown weapons are pretty cool, and the new Mastery is a lot of fun. The new region is fun but huge. The Norse Mythology is a blast, with all the gods you want. By the time you get there, you are level 35-40 and probably have a well kited character. That being said, if you plan on replaying the game at the harder difficulty, you’ll want to the expansion pack!

I cool part of the expansion is the ability to start with a 40th level character. That’s really great if you’ve already beaten the game a few times and have plenty of loot, but I wouldn’t start at 40th level without having beaten the game at least once.

No matter what, grab a copy of the Anniversary Edition cheap. The polish on it is well worth it, especially if you are fan of using poison or traps (Rogues! rule this edition).

And, I’m almost always willing to drop what I’m playing to get some ARPG Multiplayer going.

tl;dr - If you liked Titan Quest and plan on playing the harder difficulties, it’s worth it. Otherwise, it might seem like more of the same. No matter what though, check out the Anniversary Edition, you can usually get that for 5 dollars.

I’ve never played any Titan Quest at all, and like you said, it’s about $4, so that seems like a no-brainer. Sounds like I can grab Ragnarok later if I feel so inclined, I don’t need that from the start. Thanks!

No, you can safely skip it. Have fun, just keep in mind, Titan’s Quest starts out slow, but does ramp up.

PC Exclusives:

• Battle Brothers!
  • Warhammer Total War (s)
  • Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe
  • Battletech
  • Railway Empire
  • Endless Space 2
  • Parkitect
  • Planet Coaster (if you have insane amounts of disposable time to design stuff or are a CAD wizard)

This soooo much.

So after chastising you all for recommending games that also had console releases, what have I done?

I’ve purchased Gunpoint, Titan Quest, and then…

No Man’s Sky, The Witcher 3, Dying Light, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Dishonored, all three BioShocks, and Star Wars Battlefront II—all of which not only had console releases, but all of which I literally already owned on a console.

I rationalized some of it with the fact that I’m not exactly adding to my backlog, and in fact, owning these games on the PC actually increases the chances I’ll chip away at the list since I can always use my laptop, while the TV is shared with my roommates.

Still, lots of good recommendations in this thread that I’ve added to my wishlist, I appreciate that. Just also enjoying my own silly hypocrisy.

Titan Quest on console sucks and is buggy. Does that help a bit?

Helps in that it further exposes my own mistakes—I forgot there was a console release, I thought that was a legit PC pick from my list. Oh well! At least it’s one I didn’t own at all before.

It only came out in the last year, so I think it still fits your requirements.

You could never have played it during the period of time you were looking at.