PC GOTY so far - I know I'm premature

How deep is the rpg skill and or loot or crafting element in HZD? I would love another great open world game but its if mainly action or story then it probably wont work for me.

Crafting is similar to Far Cry, in that you hunt wildlife to extend inventory/ammo slots. Ammo is crafted from salvage from the machines, and there’s some potions you can make from herbs you find. There is a skill tree that you can completely fill out if you hit max level, it’s not overly deep but there’s some choices to be made early on.

For gear there’s tiered items in each class (weapons and armor) that you usually buy or get from a quest. They have mod slots and you get random mods as enemy drops.

Thank you! That sounds fun!

Rock Paper Shotgun finally got all the way through the advent calendar.

Enjoy.

I won’t spoil their game of the year, but I was terribly disappointed to find out that it’s an Early Access title that’s scheduled to come out in the Summer of 2018.

As an aside, I saw Bad Santa for the first time recently, and I finally know what an advent calendar is now.

Side scrolling rogue-like in EA as #1 game of 2017? Is this RPS trying to be edgy? Cause it’s lost on me.

Horizon Zero Dawn or Prey.

This is the PC thread! :)

Oh hehe Prey then.

Good for them. RimWorld deserves that recognition! Wait…

Oh no, it’s some hipster nonsense. No doubt they’ll tell us to buy it on a vinyl record instead of Steam.

Ignoring the bit where RimWorld hit Steam early access last year, since when is 500K owners in early access in a little over half a year “hipster nonsense”?

It’s not actually RimWorld, click the link :-)

I’m well aware it’s not - check which game is at ~500K on SteamSpy. :P

It’s side-scrolling with pixel art. I meant it to be 80% not taken seriously. Merry Christmas.

Just for the record though, there are surely more than 500K hipsters in the world, so it’s technically possible that they all bought it.

At least it wasn’t a console exclusive icon-hunter.

It’s got to be Titan Quest They did a great updated late in 2016 and now have a DLC? Plus, it runs on my old computer. All pluses!

RPS have now posted their actual best PC games of 2017:

;)

My votes are for Original Sin 2 (PC) and HZD (PS4).

I like the way Tim Stone expresses this about the FOGII campaigns.

Thematic prejudices together with Byzantine’s decision to abandon Total War-style campaigns in favour of scenario sequences (admittedly, scenario sequences enlivened with strategic decisions and random maps) mean I prefer FoGII’s forerunners, Sengoku Jidai and Pike & Shot Campaigns.