PC GOTY so far - I know I'm premature

Nioh will be on PC in a week, so that counts.

You should add PC to the thread title

Surely it counts in a week, after you’ve actually played it on PC and confirmed the port is worthy? :)

Maybe it’s just the honeymoon effect so this may change by year end, but thus far Assassin’s Creed Origins is really doing it for me.

Apart from that - Elex, Divinity Original Sin 2, and then XCOM2 War of the Chosen.

Done.

So far this year my GOTY award almost goes to none of the above. It has not been a bad year for gaming but going through the games released this year, I can find only one that I would consider truly worthy of the title and that has an asterisk. I just have not experienced that kind of addictive high this year.

The closest contender might be Ultimate General: Civil War but while it is a very good game I do not consider it worthy of GOTY. Divinity Original Sin 2 was fine but it was an uneven experience that may not have even surpassed the original (which was a GOTY candidate). Again, both are very good games but are not quite great.

Other games are still in Early Access that might qualify. Rimworld and Tower of Time could be great but they are not finished yet. The same goes for Machinky and Oxygen Not Included. I do not generally consider EA games as GOTY candidates with the possible exception of Kerbal some years ago.

The rest of this year’s batch just never got off the starting grid. I have spent much of this year playing games from previous years like HOI 4, Stellaris, Skyrimn and Motorsport Manager.

That leaves only one. It is an incredible experience full of emotion, drama and mystery. The story is unsurpassed in the genre, the game play is darn good, the music haunting and the graphics acceptable. Thus, my GOTY award (ths far) goes to…

Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition

Horizon, no doubt. I really liked Prey and DOS2 and even Andromeda.

Still haven’t played Tacoma, XCOM2, Elex, and Assassin’s Creed but I don’t see my opinion changing. Probably.

Mario + Rabbids= GOTY

PUBG - I haven’t had this much fun and excitement with a shooter in a looooooooooooong time.

Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire - Such a great expansion that got me back into this MMO. One thing I will note is that I can’t think of another game in the last ten years with so much interesting art as this one.

Most innovative: Afghanistan '11

Best but still in EA: Rimworld

The one I’m actually spending the most time playing: Age of Rivals

Well I’ve played four really great new PC games this year:

1. Opus Magnum
  2. PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS
  3. Total War Warhammer 2
  4. Torment: Tides of Numenera

Probably in that order, Opus Magnum is expanding my brain in all new directions on a daily basis.

Just going PC only I have to say Total War Warhammer II was/is one of the games I enjoy the most while playing with Dishonored 2 coming in a close second for games that were just a blast to play and I look forward to playing a second time. Deus Ex MK is maybe third, but looking through my Steam library I played some really great PC games this year.

For Early Access - best by far is Caves of Qud. Man that’s something special.

I think the best stuff I played came on console this year, which is a first for me. Normally I’m PC first, and there were a lot of great PC games - don’t get me wrong - but man, I’m looking forward to overall GOTY voting this year.

I think I’ve only played 3 games this year: Caves of Qud, Rimworld and The Division. All 3 are great games - I’m not sure when Division was launched but if it’s this year, the it will be my GoTY. Caves of Qud is easily my second favourite.

Edit: Whoops, I missed that this was for PC only. In that case, definitely Divinity: Original Sin 2, with Nier: Automata being the runner-up.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It’s my favorite game ever, and even 80 hours in, the game keeps presenting me with situations that throw me off balance; I can’t rely on rote gameplay reflexes. It’s not I don’t love the familiar, that’s what keeps me coming back to FPS campaigns, but there’s something about how the systems interact, complimented by just the right amount of authored/scripted content and feedback, which I just find myself losing hours to this thing (I can’t afford to stay up late!). I have to see if a certain tactic will let me avoid a nasty campfire, or if I can manipulate the physics system in a strange way to solve a puzzle, and the reactivity of the world is just a delight which never stops surprising me.

I know immersive is a word that gets thrown around too much, but I just find this game engages me in a way that others can’t approach, at least not since the original Thief. A week ago, I stumbled across the Iwata easter egg, and nearly teared up. It was such a gorgeous, sincere gesture that you don’t usually see in games.

My runners-up are also from from absurdly talent teams at the top of their game: Divinity: Original Sin 2 and Super Mario: Odyssey. You could make a persuasive argument for both of these games being the best in their respective genre.

Ghost Recon Wildlands. I’ve been disappointed by the few others I’ve bought. Picked up Torment in this weeks sale, fingers crossed it’ll be a new favorite.

For PC games releasing in 2017, so far it would be one of these…
XCOM 2: War of the Chosen
The Golf Club 2
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

If you include any game I played for the first time in 2017, this would be added to the running…
Superhot

Include any platform and this may take the top seat …
Through the Ages

NieR: Automata, without a doubt.

As for the runner-up, it’s an open fight at this point between TONS of great games released this year, and with no clear winner. ;)

Well, I’m biased since I know the developers, but even if I didn’t I’m pretty sure I would still have to pick West of Loathing.

LOGistiCAL is up there, too. Kinda has to be with as many hours as I’ve put into it.

I really haven’t finished/played enough games from 2017… for which I blame the flood of good releases in prior years that I’m still working my way through.

But it looks like Four Last Things is my GOTY due to lack of competition. And, heck, I think it deserves it!

Top 3 PC games of the year:

• Doki Doki Literature Club. Being a PC exclusive is actually part of the game. The Portal of visual novels.
  • Heat Signature. A perfect bite sized but long lasting space based hijinks game.
  • Solar Settlers. No muss, no fuss distillation of what I like from civilization and gal civ

Honorable mention: Agents of Mayhem. But it’s got a ton of bugs and isn’t a PC exclusive.

PREY is my GOTY so far, but I feel like I haven’t run across a ton of great games this year.