PC Rebooting While Idling, No Info in Event Viewer - How to Diagnose?

But it would be an opportunity to clean your case! ;)

I mean, the filters on the Define R5 are pretty amazing. The last few times I’ve had to crack it open since building in there, it’s been astoundingly clean.

Probably memory, possibly aggravated by heat or power fluctuations. Do you monitor thermals of internal components with something like

https://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Aging thermal paste or pads lose effectiveness, so things get worse over time.

And get a UPS. Buy a secondhand one locally without batteries, and replace them yourself for cheaper. Actually, how many Watts does your setup use? I will look around for something for you.

Power supply replacement isn’t that bad. Just take pix with your phone so you know what plugs into what and you’re good.

Ugh, now it’s failing to resume from . . . not even Sleep, the PC isn’t configured to Sleep. Just, like, monitor off state. Bunch of stuff like this in Event Viewer, and it ran a scandisk upon rebooting from the hang.

Gonna try to leave memtest running today but getting worried this less-than-a-year-old Samsung EVO 970 Plus is dying on me.

Yeah I would get your data off there ASAMFP.

Memtest is perfect and optimal. SSD SMART data and integrity test via Samsung toolkit are also perfect. Updated all drivers I could find to latest versions. Still reboots (or hangs, if I turn off the “restart after fatal errors” option) anytime it’s left idle. System isn’t configured to sleep, just turn off monitors. May need to disable that to get a chance to see the bluescreen, cuz the hang if reboots are disabled is absolute and can’t get the PC to recognize input enough to turn on the monitor and show me an error.

Event Viewer continues to insist that there are some corrupted file records on a volume that doesn’t exist in this system. What in the entire fuck.

I assume you are using the Samsung Magician software to check the drive?

Do you have a 2nd M.2 slot to move the drive to on your mobo? Maybe the slot is going wonky?

Might be best to clone the drive and boot from there to see if its still occuring , that would remove that part from the equation.

I still think it’s the PSU, but you can try installing windows on top of itself. This is non-destructive, basically does the same thing as those major yearly windows version updates that take an hour.

Ugh, yeah, I’m trying to do all the things I can do that don’t involve buying new hardware relatively blind. Windows reinstall on top of itself is probably next on that list.

Fun story. The fatal bugcheck in Reliability Monitor is different every single reboot, lol :(

I don’t think the windows install is the issue… :(

I sadly agree, but between SSD, PSU, and mobo, I’ve got three reasonably good options for hardware that could be shitting the bed and don’t really wanna start dropping $100+ on usually non-returnable fixes without knowing exactly which one is bad.

You can never have too much storage. :D

Aside from this (what I assume is your main drive) what other drives are actually plugged in? That one that was causing problems that you disabled, is it still physically plugged in? Maybe consider actually removing it and any other drives you have installed that the OS isn’t on, just to see if that changes anything? Troubleshooting mode means just doing anything to change the variables.

Agreed with @stusser. It’s likely your PSU going bad.

At this point the only suggestion left remains:

LimpAjarFoxhound-max-1mb