PCI card screw holes stripped

This has happened to me a lot over the years with many cases. Basically when I go to screw in my video card (or others) the screw hole to mount it is stripped so the screw is in loosely. But right now my video card is not as tight as it needs to be and I’m worried.

How might I fix this?

Bigger screw?

Don’t worry about it as long as you are not moving your computer. That screw is supporting the weight of the card like a pin. It’s not going anywhere unless you move the computer a lot.

Or you could get a tap and retap it.

Also, if this happens to you a lot, don’t force screws in. If you are getting a lot of tension when screwing in the card, support the weight of the card and make sure you are going in straight. Don’t force it.

Blutak? A dollop of hot glue? A paperclip or wire? A ziptie?

You could always get a GPU brace

https://www.amazon.com/Graphics-Support-Anodized-Aerospace-Aluminum/dp/B08C2CTPV6

I used one on mine in the end because it sagged a lot and it never really felt like the screw was going to hold it in place. Its also an exciting opportunity to add (more) RGB lights with something like…

https://www.amazon.com/DEEPCOOL-Graphics-Addressable-Controlled-Motherboard/dp/B07PYR46CL

Thought about that, but wasn’t sure how to look up “slightly bigger PCI screw”.

I have no idea what that is. Can you explain? I would like to have screws that do more than just sit super wobbly as other cards are not as tight in the slow as maybe they should be.

In the hole where the screw goes in? Does that work?

Not sure those would work as I have a case that us turned on is end and vents how air up, so the video card hangs straight down.

Well, as above, I assume if you are not transporting the case around, you kind of just need to keep the card from flopping around?

Pretty sure I have even used gaffer tape to hold down pci cards against the case in absence of screws.

A tap is a tool that creates the threads in a hole that a screw goes into. (A “die” creates threads on a screw.)

It’s not really worth it unless you have them already or have friends that do. A tap would allow you clean up the threads/create new ones. You still might need a bigger screw.

What are you worried about exactly? As long as the weight of the card is supported, it’s not going anywhere. PCI express slots lock in the card, it’s not going to fall out. Even a stripped screw is still supporting the weight of the card.

The only time I have really worried about the screws holding in cards is if I was transporting the computer. Mailing a computer with cards not screwed in would be bad. If it’s just sitting there, you’re fine.

Heck, do you have a bunch of tiny nuts and bolts lying around, the kind that might be in a pc maintenance kit anyway? Your local electronics place would have these as well.

The top front of my video card won’t stay seated all the way in to the PCIe slot. It wants to settle back out, and since the screws won’t keep it in place there’s nothing holding it from sliding back. Keep in mind the orientation of my video card is different than normal. It is vertical with it venting its heat straight up.

This is an all acrylic case I designed 15 years ago, so it’s a bit eccentric.

Not what you want to hear, but if you need to jury rig it to keep a card seated, it’s time for a new case. Cases have come a long way in 15 years, it would be worth it for the cooling and cabling benefits alone.

Otherwise, maybe you can pay a computer repair place? A good one would retap the hole.

Doesn’t your video card lock into place though? My video card I have to press a tab to remove it. That sucker isn’t going anywhere otherwise, screw or not.

I can’t get the locking tab to engage.

Oh yeah, I would not use that. You could do some serious damage if that’s not properly seated.