PCMCIA to Express Card adapters

My Dell XPS M1710 notebook has an Express Card slot, but no PCMCIA slot. I’ve got a Sprint PCMCIA wireless data card that I need to use in this notebook.

Does anyone have a recommended source for an adapter? Something I can plug my PCMCIA Sprint card into and then plug into the Express card slot?

You could buy a PCMCIA to USB adapter, that way you can use your Sprint card on any computer you want. Here’s a website that will give you an idea of what I’m talking about http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/usb/u132.php. These adapters are expensive and it may be more cost efficient to replace your Sprint card.

Demorve hit the nail on the head. There’s no way to physically even get a PCMCIA card width-wise into the expresscard thanks to that split between the 34/54 sections.

Frankly, I think it’s fucking ridiculous that any new add-on card for a notebook wouldn’t be pin-compatible with PCMCIA and backwards compatible electrically, but sometimes I can’t help but wonder if PC standards makers are purposely giving us a big “Fuck Ya’ll!” everytime they do something like that.

There’s a big section in PCMCIA’s website on why ExpressCard isn’t backwards pin-compatible with PC-card.

Basically, it has to do with totally different bus architectures, which allow ExpressCard to have much better latency and throughput.

I actually returned the HP Tablet I get last month because it didn’t have PC-card, and I don’t get a Sprint upgrade discount until May, which means the upgrade to ExpressCard is $250, so I felt your pain very recently.

Well, the problem may be two-fold:

1. I think the Sprint software looks specifically for the card in a PCMCIA slot.
  2. The card is my company card, works in my little dinky Dell work notebook with it’s PCMCIA slot. So company pays for the card and service. They are cool with me using it with my home notebook, which has a much bigger screen, higher res, etc. which makes it easier to use spreadsheets and other work software. But they won’t pay for a separate card - it’s basically hey, you can use it on your home PC for work purposes, we pay a flat rate, but we won’t buy an Express Card version for you.

I was looking at doing what I suggested, but when I saw the price I decided to wait until Sept. to replace my current data card, because the new card will be 1/4th the price of the adapter. However while I was looking at the adapters I discovered that my Verizon software wouldn’t work, but I could set it up manually to call out, bypassing the software. I suspect that you could do the same with your card if you wanted too. I can’t remember the website that I found this on, but a quick google search should come up with something.