PDXCON 2019

With the Paradox convention starting this week (October 18th), it’s been fun speculating on what Paradox may or may not be working on next. The discussion has been split up across a bunch of different game threads, though, so I thought I would start up a thread to talk about it!

What we know so far:

There will be a new internally developed grand strategy game announced. They have said this will not be Victoria 3 but I wondered in another thread if they could be playing with words and if it might be a successor under a different name, similar to how they called EU:Rome 2 “Imperator”.

I do think there’s a Victoria sequel coming, I just don’t know if it’ll necessarily be announced at this convention. The reasons I think that are A) it’s the only Paradox franchise that hasn’t been done in the current engine/development model and B) Martin Anward (Wiz) left Stellaris a year or so to go work on an unannounced project. Around the time he started goofing off on a personal hobby project, a dating sim called Victorian Secrets. He also worked on a patch to Victoria 2 over the holidays a couple years ago, which tells me he was probably in that code for a reason. My suspicion is that the project he’s been working on has been a Victoria sequel, but is it ready to be announced yet? That I don’t know, I’m guessing not.

What Paradox has teased about the new GSG is this (removed embedded link because it not rendering correctly in Discourse).

She is standing in front of a medieval suit of armor and a giant sword, so does this mean Crusader Kings 3? It’s the oldest of the current generation of games that have been made and is probably ripe for a new take. Or maybe it’s a new franchise entirely?

For EU4 there is continued work on the mega (final?) expansion which I’m sure they’ll talk about, as it is due in the first half of next year. I suspect we will get a title for it and an infodump. HOI4 also has an unnamed expansion in the works where they are redoing partisans, suppression, etc, so I expect new information on that as well.

Out in space, Stellaris has been teasing some new things via Twitter.

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1182717785551654918

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1182943938996506625

My speculation: The legs they are teasing about means that they will be expanding ground combat in the next expansion. There’s also a giant space citadel in the screenshot. Is that a galactic UN? The assumption is that the next update would focus on diplomacy, but who knows? The structure doesn’t give me a diplomacy vibe, or looks almost like a fortress with the sharp edges. The right part of the image looks like it could maybe be a mobile version of the game or something, which I probably wouldn’t have much interest in. The only reason I say mobile is that the graphics of the star look lower quality than what we have in game and there’s larger icons. That would also meet the “new and familiar things” description.

That’s about all I’ve got. My money is on CK3 given the teased twitter video above, but were it not for that my guess would have been a Victoria game or something set in a different time period entirely.

Vicky 3, under any name, is an instant buy for me. Most interesting and historically deep game in their stable, IMO.

I’m not counting on Vicky 3 yet, the fan base is pretty toxic about their expectations. If the game isn’t extremely polished when it becomes public, they’ll rant for years. God help them if it has political points anywhere.
I guess that second screenshot confirms a mobile/switch version of stellaris. No opinion without knowing their plans.

I’m thinking that hey will go where they make the most bank. That to me is going to be CK3. I’m not sure Vicky sold that well, and they are still not in the green on Stellaris. EU and HOI are both in the green, so as others have said, suspecting the closing of EU4 with the next expansion. HOI4 will likely get a few more before it is done.

That does not sound plausible at all. What are you basing it on?

Expanding any of these multi-expansion games will require an extremely impressive rework of the engine. Otherwise people will complain bitterly about lack of features and dlc content-stripping.

Sure they will complain but will they actually stop buying PDX products? :)

My guess is an Illwinter style fantasy GSG.

I hear things…;)

Another Stellaris teaser:

You need to stop listening to those voices, man. They’re no good for you :-P

Stellaris was the fastest selling Paradox game at launch. It’s been one of their top five selling games every quarter since release. The only other games that have been consistently in the top 5 during that period were Cities: Skylines and HOI4. The company as a whole has been very profitable during the last six years (when Stellaris development would have started), and grown by a factor of 6x during that time.

There is no way at all that Stellaris has made a loss to date.

I can’t verify this but I had heard that Stellaris is their biggest franchise. That’s probably part of why it got a console edition, and maybe even a Switch or mobile edition if that teaser is anything to go by. I don’t think they would be pushing it like that if the game was losing money.

Yeah Stellaris isn’t the loss leader, Stellaris is the cash cow. If you said they are in the red on Imperator I could believe that.

So, just like Creative Assembly, these guys who works mostly on historical games, see their biggest cashcow be pure makebelieve? I guess we all know what that means.

WARHAMMER REALTIME GRAND STRATEGY! ^

cough

ffty. :)

Stellaris is one of their big money makers, that’s why they keep having more and more content coming out for it, for one thing. Don’t they have another big expansion coming?

Yeah, just looked and they’ve already done 4 or 5 diaries for an upcoming expansion.

For myself, I’m hoping to get an announcement on the 2019 DLC for Planetfall!

Hoping for that as well. They’ve been pretty quiet about it other than saying they’re working on it. The convention seems to be a good time to unveil it.

I heard it was not the lack of sales, but the initial and on-going spend. However, my source could also be FUBAR.

Your source doesn’t know how to Google, I guess.

It’s interesting, if you take the idea of Stellaris as the biggest franchise at face value, as quite often Hearts of Iron 4 is the most played game out of all them (bar exceptions like when the other games get new expansions)

At least, this was the case as of PDXCon 2018 when Podcat shared some data on that with us. Might have changed now but every time I care to look (not often) HoI4 player numbers are usually pretty high.

Stellaris is also the one most likely to be well received on platforms other than PC though. CK2, for its mainstream appeal and the game that put Grand Strategy on the map, wouldn’t translate well for a console or Switch/Mobile audience I don’t think. It’s too visually busy where at least Stellaris can shift focus onto the visuals a lot better and was a newer game (thus benefited from everything learned from EU4 and CK2).

It’s a bit moot to say, but I reckon Stellaris would have gone to Console even if it wasn’t the one that earned the most money.

More Stellaris teases: