Pearls Before Breakfast

Pearls Before Breakfast

HE EMERGED FROM THE METRO AT THE L’ENFANT PLAZA STATION AND POSITIONED HIMSELF AGAINST A WALL BESIDE A TRASH BASKET. By most measures, he was nondescript: a youngish white man in jeans, a long-sleeved T-shirt and a Washington Nationals baseball cap. From a small case, he removed a violin. Placing the open case at his feet, he shrewdly threw in a few dollars and pocket change as seed money, swiveled it to face pedestrian traffic, and began to play.

I just saw this on metafilter - my thoughts are nicely summarised by these mefi posters:

Pearls Before Breakfast?

I think one of the reason that this sort of thing is inaccessible to the average person is because of the attitude hinted at in the title of this article. Perhaps “Pearls before Swine” would have been a better title. At least it would be clearer what sort of prejudices the writer has about these dirty commoners who wouldn’t even know good music if it was waiting in their train station for them.
posted by blue_beetle at 2:02 PM on April 7

Exactly what blue_beetle said. Those damn philistines and their…well, their jobs. How dare they ignore this virtuoso; it’s so painfully obvious that what he’s playing is so much more important than getting to work on time. Clearly, they are so brainwashed by today’s society that even the heartbreakingly beautiful zooms right over their heads. Poor plebes.

I like music as much as the next guy; I’ve been moved to tears by a baritone singing a German aria, but music has it’s time and place. And it sure ain’t the fucking train station at 7:51AM. Maybe I just lack the aesthetic capacity about which the author of this article seems to enjoy bloviating.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to get back to working. Yes, on a gasp Saturday.

That said, it’s a nice premise, an interesting article and Bell comes across well for participating.

Yeah I kinda agree with what he just posted. I mean shit those people have jobs!

This is apparently how K0NY views Quarter to Three.

Really? To me, that guy sounds like kind of a cock. You’ll also note that his stringent “time and a place for everything” policy doesn’t apply to posting on metafilter. Additionally:

Perhaps “Pearls before Swine” would have been a better title. At least it would be clearer what sort of prejudices the writer has about these dirty commoners who wouldn’t even know good music if it was waiting in their train station for them.

First off, the title is an extremely obvious play on that expression, and second, that’s not what that expression even means you fucking pompous jack-off.

Sure it is. It’s obvious that the author of the newspaper article considers the folks in the train station to be swine.

I agree with the metafilter posters. Give me a break, people need to get to work. Good luck telling your boss that you’re a half-hour late because someone was playing beautiful violin in the subway station. And the incredibly obnoxious tone of the writer – Jesus Christ, you just wanted to slap his fucking monocled face.

Not sure what this means. Is it because his post was clocked at 2pm? How do you know he wasn’t on break, or wasn’t working that day?

That’s just ironic.

Well, I guess I have no way of knowing for sure, but I did some investigating of the quote you posted and here’s the clue I discovered:

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to get back to working. Yes, on a gasp Saturday.

Yeah, he could have been on a break, but if people aren’t allowed to take five minutes out of their commute to listen to on of the best violinists in the world, then he can’t take five minutes out of his workday to judge the world via the comments section of metafilter.

No, the expression “casting pearls before swine” means giving or showing or telling someone something that they won’t appreciate. It doesn’t mean you think you’re totally awesome and the other people are ignorant dipshits.

Interesting. My interpretation would be that the author considers it to be a sad state that we’re living in a day and age where the everyday inanities of life drown out the chance to appreciate a superlative experience. I didn’t get a sense of condescension at all toward the people themselves. Hell, I didn’t get a sense of condescension towards the situation. Just kind of a weary “Golly gee, it’s a shame that the inexorabilities of life are so good at overcoming the beauty it can offer.” type of vibe.

Of course it means exactly that. The pearls represent something that’s totally awesome, and the swine represent ignorant dipshits who cannot appreciate it.

So you don’t think the violinist was casting his pearls of beauty before the plebeian swine of the metro?

Maybe not the first part (being awesome), but it does mean the second part.

Yeah, he could have been on a break, but if people aren’t allowed to take five minutes out of their commute to listen to on of the best violinists in the world, then he can’t take five minutes out of his workday to judge the world via the comments section of metafilter.

My boss gets mad at me for being late to work. She doesn’t really care what I do on a break.

Bell was pretty cool about it, I liked how he noted he could make a living doing that. But the author is totally a douche.

I thought this thread was about boba tea.

I really don’t like the piece he was playing. I wish they’d played clips of him playing the Ave Maria instead. :(

Then again, I’m not a violin fan.

If he wanted to make an impression, he should have done it on the West Coast, where from my experience people do listen to street musicians far more often.

That article was terrible, but it’s an interesting prank. I’ve heard Bell and he really is all that.

Work on Saturday, whoops.

There is a huge difference between making a comment on your favourite website during your break, and being late for work.

Hell, I’ll even admit that if I wasn’t going to work, I wouldn’t have stopped. I don’t give a shit about classic music or someone playing the violin. Not everyone does. Now, if it had been some dude playing an electric guitar, I would have stopped and contributed.

IGNORANT SWINE

My BART stop is Montgomery Station, well known as being the #1 place to hear really good musicians performing during rush hour.

I seldom stop for more than a minute or two – I have to get to work! – but if they’re good, which many of them are (especially the student string quartets), I leave a dollar, just because it’s really cool that they come down to inject some kultchah (and damn fine music) into the morning hours.

I haven’t read the link in the OP, and based on this thread, I feel no need to whatsoever :-)