Pebble and other smartwatches: Info at a glance!

I’m using the Amazfit Bip S that replaced my Apple Watch. Sick of one day battery and went to one with 3 week battery.

Huge-ass bezels on that watch, the Wyze screen looks like an Apple watch. Also it’s over three times the price! Of course you may actually find it useful, so it does have that.

I’ve essentially gone back to old fashioned watches. I wear my smartwatch at night because of the ability to set multiple alarms and have it vibrate to wake me.

I’m now trying to fool people into believing this is the series 7 and they removed the dial on the side. So far I’m 0 for 3.

I use the Samsung Galaxy watch. It’s a little big but it’s awesome. I love that I can check emails/messages and answer calls without having to pick up my phone. It has a fantastic health tracker too, I like that it tracks my heart rate and route via GPS when I’m hiking/running. I use a dual mobile/watch wireless charger so I just drop it onto that before bed. 10/10 would never go back to a normal watch.

Cooking is an issue though:

That’s fantastic! The comic, I mean.

I’ve decided to give this whole smartwatch thing a go and bought a TicWatch. Guess there hasn’t been much of an uptake on the wearables around here?

Lets see if I get bored of it, or if it’ll stick around for a while ;)

I got a Galaxy Watch 4 last year, but have barely used it. Partly because a planned skiing holiday was cancelled, partly because I can’t really use it cycling while wearing winter clothes, and partly because even with WearOS the apps are pretty threadbare.

Curious: How do you cycle wearing winter clothes?

I have a Garmin Venu 2, which is garmins approach into smartwatches that are less clunky and better looking, and as such can be used everyday. I use it to measure a lot of stuff when running, and indoor cycling as well, but mostly afterwards, to compare how I did, heartrate-wise and of course, speed-wise.

I have an e-bike, so when I’m commuting I just wear work clothes, plus in winter usually this:
https://blog.cyclestore.co.uk/endura-luminite-4-in-1-waterproof-jacket-review/
Between the sleeves and my gloves it’s basically impossible to glance at the watch. My ski jacket has a watch window, so hopefully it shouldn’t be an issue as and when I manage to do that again.

Ah, so just to tell the time, and not anything else, sports-related (which was what threw me, seeing as I thought you were sports biking in winter clothes :-) ) -that makes sense to me!

Well, also for the mapping functionality (I was hoping it could replace the phone on the handlebars, and pulling out a paper ski map). But, yeah, I don’t care at all about the fitness stuff.

Never mind…

I can recommend the Amazfit Bip S for cheap 3 week battery life for approximately $50.

@AK_Icebear - you also own a Ticwatch Pro, right? Are you also struggling with your battery life lately?

I haven’t worn the watch much lately, but when I do, I’m always surprised at how quickly its drained of power. Today for example I’ve only been wearing it for 3 hours and the battery is already at 50% without me actually doing anything with it!

Since I only bought it in April, perhaps I can see if they have a warranty? Though I suspect they’ll find a reason not to help me…

I found TicWatch 3 Pro Ultra GPS (yikes) battery life excellent for most of my ownership - about a year. Usually got 3 ‘normal use’ days between charging, including some exercise tracking daily.

I bought a Garmin Forerunner 255 in October - not as many smart features, but exactly the ones I use - calendar and notifications. Fitness features are infinitely better, especially GPS tracking consistency/accuracy, and battery life is around 7-14 days between charges in my experience.

The TicWatch sold at a pretty decent price on Swappa - happy with it as an owner, happy with it as a seller.

Good call to have sold it since they seemed to have nerfed it now!

I parked my Apple Watch Ultra and will sell it soon (since I’m using a Z Fold4 now) and I’m currently evaluating 2 Garmin watches: the fenix 7X and the Epix Gen2 (both of them sapphire / titanium models).

While the idea of charging just once a month is appealing (and the flashlight is surprisingly handy), I’m leaning towards keeping the silver and white Epix. It has such a nice screen, and 1-2 weeks of battery isn’t all that bad (I’ll probably be around 1 because I keep the display set to always in during the day, but I can turn down the GPS a bit for my use cases).

I have used an Epix for about a year now. I let the screen go off and I get about 10-12 days between charges (using GPS for running 2-3 hours a week, and another 4 hours a week of non-GPS activity). I just leave it on the auto GPS and that has worked well (it is supposed to use the better mode when it thinks it needs to). I don’t have any real stats on if it saves me any battery life or anything, but the GPS tracks are usually flawless, even around buildings or under tree coverage.

I had no issues with charging the Apple Watch everyday. It was routine. Not having that routine means every time the battery gets low I am taken by surprise and have to change plans around it. For that alone I kind of want one of the watches that will last a month. On the other hand, if I start a run and see the battery is at 7%, it means I can still get an hour run in and have a few percent left, but that always makes me nervous.

For a fitness watch, I love the Epix. For a smart watch it is very meh.

You’re probably a better candidate for the fenix 7x than I am, with the running. If you’re around LA you can borrow mine… REI 90 day trial :P