Penny Arcade - February 1/2 league

I’m in, and like to play as scoutmaster for a change.

pacman over LionelThompson

Pickle Recognition Engines for the win!

LT over Xenu

pacman over AT

A huge victory margin of two points :-p.

I was carefully counting points before taking that last boss loot, my card points just managed to edge out your 6-3 advantage in boss loot.

I assumed that the pausing meant that you were tallying points up on a napkin or something like that. Good game. I was pretty sure I was going to win that one. I could easily have killed the last boss loot on my next turn.

pacman over nKoan

Very green board, so I think Gabe was the perfect hero to have. Started fairly even, but then I hit some criticals that just spiraled it out of control.

LT over nkoan

Weird game, only 4 red cards on the board yet only the red bosses were bought.

LT over AstrolLad for 1 point

Harry_horse defeats Astrolad

astrolad over pacman1477 +1 sparkle

[b]LT over Josemas

LT over Harry Horses[/b]

pacman over josemas

Your pairing of twisp with the scrotum was really nice early, but it didn’t quite hold up at the end, and my deck came through with some good hands in the last couple turns, nicely played.

nkoan over harry_horse

LT over AT when his pickle business failed to drum up customers.

This game can be so fucking annoying.

Please forgive my outcry. It’s just that I don’t like how this game can punish you so often when you’re doing nothing wrong, and then you fall behind, and it’s hopeless. Three straight pickle failures when most of my deck was green, and to rub salt in the wound, one more when your PVP card knocked a d20 into my discard pile, putting a cardboard tube in its place. I mean, come on, karma.

Yeah. I’m with you on this one Dave. The random here feels a lot like Summoner Wars. When it is screwing you, it really hurts. Way worse then the random in Ascension. I have no idea why, but it does.

I think the more randomness there is in a game the less punishing it feels. So Ascension which has a lot, doesn’t feel so bad, but Summoner Wars which has relatively low randomness hurts a lot when it goes against you. PA seems like it falls in between those too. The thing I find most painfull is the wide disparity amongst the boss loots. Some of them are just so strong (power/tokens as the other, double your power, delete as many cards in your hand as you want and draw replacements) while others are so useless (reveal card for +tokens, delete PAX Pox from your hand).

I agree, especially about Summoner Wars. I think you nailed it when you said SW has low randomness but it hurts a lot when it goes against you. That’s probably why I said “Dice” when someone asked a week or two ago why we stopped having a league. It’s actually the reverse, that it’s very difficult for someone who’s played 50 games to beat someone who has played 300 games. And when you think you might have a shot at beating an expert, you might roll four 2’s, and that really sticks in your mind.

LT over annie peeps

I was fortunate enough to get the game to end before the attacks hit hard and heavy.

Some random is always welcome, it’s how a poor cribbage player can beat a strong one on occasion. I just do not want too much random in too long a game. A quick 5 or 10 minute investment like this is fine, a three hour battle of Risk, not so much.