People Who Post Spoilery Spoilers - Fuck You

I’ve been treating the original GoT thread as a spoiler thread since there is a thread specifically designated as a non-spoiler thread. Any spoilers I revealed were certainly not done so to ruin anything for anyone else. I really did think that the original thread was an agreed upon spoiler zone.

You know, I have no idea if this is true. Does he? All I know is he dies at some point. My kids told me that much.

Don’t tell me. Maybe I’ll read the books someday.

I think the other problem with GoT in particular is that if you go to the spoiler thread to discuss, with spoilers, the episodes of the show that have already aired, you’re still bombarded with stuff you didn’t know about that’s upcoming in the next hundred or so episodes, which should really just be in one of the threads about the books.

Certainly at this point I don’t see any harm in posting spoilers in the original thread. Perhaps at the beginning there was some attempt to mark out spoilers, but that’s pretty pointless now. Besides, the people who’ve read the books need someplace to talk as well.

I’m pretty sure the ‘no spoilers’ thread is to prevent spoilers from the books. If you want to avoid spoilers from aired episodes of the TV show, you should stay away from both threads until you’ve caught up (like like any other show thread).

You just can’t read anything at all about it, then, and that’s all there is to it. I simply don’t trust other people’s ability to even determine what a spoiler is, because you’ll get people who say things like “Man, I can’t believe what happened in the last five pages, that really came out of nowhere” and think it’s not a spoiler because they didn’t say what happened.

The HBO thread has long veered into spoiler territory, that’s why I made a new thread for non spoilers, but people have still posted spoilers there.

Yeah, I know. I don’t know what it is about reading books before they’re adapted into a TV series, but apparently it renders some people completely incapable of not spoiling it for the people who are just watching the show.

It’s also impossible to avoid. When someone says “Oh, Character X is so obviously an asshole,” and you know that they save 18 kittens from dying and become the hero of the series, you really can’t respond to that in any non-spoily way, even if you’re trying to hold your tongue. And people who’ve read the books want to talk about the show, too.

Whenever you’re watching an adaptation of a book, you pretty much just have to suck it up and realize that discussion of the adaptation will include people who’ve read the books and know how it’s going to end, and that even if everyone involved were spoiler saints, even their silences in response to things people have said would be spoilery.

My take is that there’s a thread for people who want to discuss the show who’ve read the books (and the book thread is not a substitute for that). Then there’s a thread for people who want to discuss the show who haven’t read the books. The best policy for people who have read the books is to just not post in that thread, because, as you say, it’s very hard to post without potentially implying something by what you say.

Spoiler alert!

you really can’t respond to that in any non-spoily way, even if you’re trying to hold your tongue. And people who’ve read the books want to talk about the show, too.

Then they can talk about it with other people who’ve also read the books or they can just abstain from posting about stuff that they just can’t bring themselves to say word one about without giving away the store. This is really not difficult.

Whenever you’re watching an adaptation of a book, you pretty much just have to suck it up and realize that discussion of the adaptation will include people who’ve read the books and know how it’s going to end, and that even if everyone involved were spoiler saints, even their silences in response to things people have said would be spoilery.

Tell you what: I’ll go on record right now that I will never consider a lack of a post from someone to be a spoiler. From now on, if you people that have read books that are being adapted are reading the thread about the series and don’t post in it, I’ll just go ahead and not extrapolate a spoiler from that, so you don’t have to feel bad about it anymore. Does that make it easier?

You could read the book and be finished in a week or so ;).

I hate spoilers too. But what do you really expect when the book predates the adaptation by this many years?

Did you expect spoiler free discussion for LOTR or every time a new Romeo & Juliet movie gets made?

What % of people are watching the miniseries who did not read the book?

This is what I wish people would do. If it says no spoilers, and you know spoilers, don’t freaking post there at all, gorrammit.

Hahahaha, awesome. :)

I actually tried, and got to maybe 20-30 pages before getting fed up and stopping. My girlfriend – who has read the books – says the show moves along much faster, and I’d probably like it better than if I tried to read the books again.

Sot people can post about this stuff(Game of Thrones as an example) three different ways(at least):

Book readers, involves the books. Don’t read in here until you’ve read the books or don’t care about spoilers for such.

Tv show, with spoilers. Tv show talk, knock yourself out with spoilers too.

Non spoiler tv show talk. Pretend like all you know about this story is what has been shown on the series to the current point in time.

Why the hell you’d want to hop over the two spoiler friendly possibilities to even post a “I can hardly wait to see how they handle what happens to her later” type comment is one of those mysteries of the modern age. To some of us who have only seen the tv show, that kind of comment isn’t just spoilery, it’s irrelevant. I know I don’t give a crap if you can hardly wait to see how they handle whatever it is you’re all worked up over.

This kind of thing is different in my opinion than old fashioned spoilers. I was watching, as in the theater while the movie is playing, the 70s Invasion of the Body Snatchers and the kid in the seat in front of movie spoiled the ending right before it happened, by whispering to his friend “watch, right now…”. Despite the whisper, the quiet of a movie theater combined with the fairly close seating meant I could hear it.

That’s one idiot talking to another one, oblivious to the fact there are others around who might hear what they say. Posting spoilers in a designated nonspoiler thread I think qualifies as a deliberately malicious act.

It certainly feels like that sometimes.

I agree with Brian. It’s tough when you want to interact with folks and add to your enjoyment when many of those people (accidentally) ruin things.

Just call them out and post their names someplace until they take down the spoilers. It’s usually unintentional so no reason to go too crazy.

I’m behind on The Killing so I don’t even bother to check out the thread and I won’t until I’m caught up.

I’m most of the way through my second or third read of GoT. I’m avoiding threads about the show because I don’t want to be spoiled about how the show handles things.

Not being particularly spoilerphobic myself, this is the only thing I fear in my dealings with Qt3, that I will carelessly reveal something regarded as a spoiler and call down the wrath of the horde.

Vader is Luke’s FATHER!!

My bad.

I did get burned on the Dumbledore spoiler the night before I received my copy of the book that it happens in.