Perry Mason

This show was definitely stronger in the second half, the last three episodes in particular finally seemed to be building some connections between the characters and the audience. I still think they overdid it with Mason being such a sad sack, I mean, it’s difficult to buy in that a guy so absorbed in self-pity and blatantly self-destructive would somehow not only give enough of a shit to cram for the bar exam and then represent his previous employer’s high profile client, but actually be halfway good at it as well. On the other hand, there is no show without the redemption arc.

I did like that they didn’t play it up so that he had some kind of major courtroom victory where someone confessed on the stand (they even had Burger in the scene literally screaming “they never confess on the stand!”) and instead we saw Perry’s creative solution that turned out to be unneeded in the end. The supporting cast came on a lot stronger in the final episodes as well, and I feel like Perry, Street and Drake are actually a team I would watch work another case.

Halfway through I was playing out the string on this, but by the end I was thinking I’d like to see a second season and what they could do with it.