Persona 5 - A Gold Standard for JRPGs?

Good question, I looked and I didn’t see anything. The rumor is 4K resolution will be added to the Pro via patch, but it’s just a rumor.

The PS3 is 720p while the PS4 will be 1080p and have faster load times, if that helps anyone decide.

Pretty excited for this one myself, though I do lament the lack of yellow. Not sure if I’ll play it right at launch, but it’s definitely high on my list.

I thought P4 was the best of the three Persona games I’ve played. Gameplay tweaks from P3 were great and I thought the story and characters were an inprovement, though that very slow start is definitely a minor strike against it. At the same time it fits in well, setting up the whole mystery theme.

May need to get a PS4 now to play P5. Really wish Atlus would do multi console releases for their SMT games.

Gameplay in P4 was superior, and they addressed other issues as well, but the characters in P3 were superior.

Oh I strongly disagree, I liked the characters in P4 better than in P5, but I think part of it is because they are placed in a more believable setting (they have families and lives outside school). Also Nanako is a really good emotional hook for the story that P3 lacked.

I’m talking about the main characters. It’s certainly possible the social link characters are superior in P3 (never thought about it).

P4 did feel more slice of life though, while P3 is more of a straight plot, so I guess that can also influence how you read the tale and the characters.

In my case I played P3 and loved it and then P4 and loved it even more (which I thought surprising, since it was basically the same game, just done better overall). I’m afraid P5 might be too much of the same, but I will try!!! the reviews are indeed encouraging.

PS: P2 has the best writing of the series IMHO, although it’s hard to play now. Mechanics haven’t aged well.

Even as someone who only really likes Anachronox when it comes to j-rpgs, Persona 5 looks incredible. I’m absolutely in love with the look of the UI and general presentation!

I’ll be pre-ordering this one as both my son and I really want to play. I’ve enjoyed the SMT games on the 3DS and was truly surprised just how much I enjoyed Tokyo Mirage Sessions on the WiiU. Looking forward to next week!

Game Junkie strikes again!

Shhhhh! I’m picking it up as a favor to my son, so he can spend his birthday money on something else. Just being a good dad, right? RIGHT?!

Here’s one of the comparisons of the retail screenshots. As far as I can tell, the primary difference is that the PS4 visuals are a little sharper (for example, the lights and paintings in the battle shot). Which is a relief, because I didn’t want to have to buy a PS4 just for this game.

Of course, it didn’t stop me from buying the PS4-only Ultra Deluxe Tchotchke Version anyway, in addition to the standard PS3 version. Atlus makes the best toys. And, since there is PS3/PS4 cross-save support, I figure I can play my New Game+ on a Pro and a 4K TV once they finally hit my household.

The overall presentation is one of the reasons I adore Persona 3 and 4. They are not technically advanced, but stylistically they are miles ahead of most JRPGs.

Love the use of color, the slick menus, and the way the characters each have their own unique combat animations/poses that show their personalities.

And of course, the soundtracks are so catchy. Music is used extremely well throughtout the game.

@Shellfishguy whatever you need to tell yourself so you you can sleep at night.

When you’re romancing 3 different high school girls, you’re just doing research. Good parenting!

I’ve got the “Take Your Heart” Premium Edition pre-ordered. Very much looking forward to this game and am happy reviews are as good as they are. I feel kinda bad that I didn’t finish Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE on Wii U before this game arrived, but I’ll go back to that eventually. I love the presentation in that game and expect nothing less from Persona 5.

After something like 90 hours with probably at least another ten to go, I also have to finally go for Ganon in Breath of the Wild this weekend so I’m ready to tackle something new.

On P4’s side here. Everything was better, but especially the plot and characters. I guess I preferred the less fantastical slant (though it did make for a great finale.) Oh no, the half-naked guy has a pistol. You have a robot bristling with machine guns.

Now that I think about it, the 3 human villains are my main gripe with P3, although P4 is still superior in every aspect.

Also, Mitsuru can’t throw a few yen this way? We should have been eating sushi every day.

I loved P3 and P4, but I agree that the more grounded nature of P4 appealed to me more overall. That said, I thought the finale of each game was fantastic, and P3’s end heavily played on it’s crazier overall background.

But man…the last day on P4, when you realize where you have to go and what you have to do, and it all comes crashing back in full circle to the start. God, those games are great.

[spoiler]“What did I do?”

“Don’t you remember?”[/spoiler]

Yeah, okay, the human villains were extremely weak in P3. But I liked the party characters more in P3 than in P4.

So which one’s the battle theme in Pe5’s soundtrack? And the boss theme?

Can it really beat this?

Looking at two screenshots on your PC display isn’t going to really help much, it will depend on how well your TV scales to 720p and how large of a display it is. If 720p content looks great on your TV, and especially if you have a PS3 already, I’d stick with that.

Not enough Dread Burning.