Persona 5 - A Gold Standard for JRPGs?

Preload and playable countdown is on for the PS Store version btw. Exciting!

So tempted by this, even though I’ve promised myself I’d finish Witcher 3 before I get another SP game.

Do eeeeet!

P3 Battle themes are just so awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLd5eabSJ3g

That said, P4 characters are less anime-tropey and less whiney than P3. (Right, Ken?)

I will be starting P5 later than you guys, because I ordered the physical copy from amazon, and won’t receive it until next week or so. Plus I can’t seem to make time for playing any games lately. (Now I’m whineyier then Ken!)

My order is on the way, but I didn’t get enough time to finish Zelda this past weekend. I’ll probably be starting this a little late, but still excited!

Mine is arriving tomorrow. I’ll need support to take it easy in the game and not get strung out over maximizing everything and masterfully juggling all the pieces, (and mixing metaphors).

help me.

I can’t help you, man. My favorite memories of 200X is listening to Hymn of Everybody’s Soul for hours on end, repeatedly starting and cancelling fusions to roll for the right combination of skills to inherit.

I both hope and fear for the song’s return in P5…

I decided to bite and grab this on PS3 only to discover last night when my copy arrived that my PS3 controller, having sat unused for the past year and a half, will no longer hold a charge or turn on.

Whoops. Guess I’ll be picking up a new one of those, too.

Sounds like a good excuse to return the PS3 copy and buy a PS4!

Out for delivery!

Or so they say…

Looks like Breath of the Wild is not the only recent AAA release to be emulated [link] (Persona 5 is playable on PC with this PS3 emulator | PC Gamer):

In other news, I’m happy to report that my PS3 survived its extended stint in the basement, and Amazon delivered my copy today despite having predicted a delivery date of next week. Guess Calamity Ganon can wait. Breath of the Wild seems like a game I come back to without losing track of too much.

This is somewhat irritating - http://atlus.com/note-persona-5-streaming/

The heck is that? They’re going to ask for content ID claims and account suspensions for videos containing spoilers?

Hasn’t the game been out in Japan for months anyway?

I’m used to this crap as this is what they send you when you are reviewing stuff but under embargo. However, if I buy your game, after its release date, and want to stream it then I should be able to. You may not LIKE it, but trying to shut down someones YouTube or Twitch channel because you don’t want spoilers is a bit much.

It’s a big pile of WTF.

Atlus is going to regret the everloving hell out of this.

I’ve been hearing complaints about the translation, but can’t tell if they’re legitimate or the internet being the internet. Anyone that can say one way or the other yet?

Sounds like something destined to hurt the people trying to avoid spoilers, rather than the publisher. :P

Anyway, so no-one is talking about the game yet?

I played a bit last night, up to where you first get introduced to the class. It’s going to be amazing! The style and UI are rocking, very slick. The way the story is being presented is entertaining and seems like we’re getting some dark and disturbing themes, though typically heavy-handed as per genre policy… ;)

The cutscene in the castle where you rip off the mask and summon your Persona for the first time, wow that gave me chills. And the dream scene in Velvet room, the old familiar music kicking in.

Negatives:

• It looks like a PS3 game in terms of some of the texture resolution.
  • No PS4 Pro enhancements.
  • The character/camera controls feel really quite poor to me.
  • The English voice acting isn’t really doing it for me yet (other than Morgana). I downloaded the free Japanese voice DLC so going to try that.
  • Once again there are no audio volume controls. :)

Can’t wait to play more!

Yeah some of the translation seems sloppy so far, not enough to go into the negatives though. But I’ve not played much.

I think it seems worse with the English voices, when you hear a character recite dialogue that sounds unnatural for a native speaker. Probably better/more charming with Japanese voice and the English subtitles.

Mine arrived today, on schedule!

Time to start playing! Is what I’d like to say, but it turns out I still have two wonderful children :)

My copy is sitting in front of me. Taunting me. help.