Peter Jackson Gets Back with the Beatles

Couldn’t find a thread for it, but it was pretty glorious. I grew up listening to the Beatles but was never on the spectrum of “Beatles Fan”, I just really liked the music. To see them in their process was as fascinating as anything, and I was floored by how talented outside of my own preconceptions they were at the rough age of 29. Pretty much all of them could switch among instruments at will, with varying ability, but not with anyone being incapable of playing.

I was always a Paul guy, and while he comes off a bit as the taskmaster in this, he also is clearly the genius of the group. That the songs they made came out of his head, in rough form, and were then forged into what they became is ridiculous, the whole documentary takes place across a month and by the end they have more than half a dozen of their greatest songs in the can.

I always appreciated John for his raw edge, but like McCartney recently made a friendly poke at the Stones, he kinda wanted to be a blues cover band. I came away from it with some new ideas, mainly that Paul was trying to produce, produce, produce, John was trying to have fun, Ringo was solid but more or less resigned to his role, and George as well. Yoko didn’t come off well, if anything I’m a bit more negative on her afterwards.

Billy Preston, who I was tangentially aware of, was the breakout revelation. That guy’s so talented it’s the kind of talented that makes me want to say, “fuck that guy!” because it doesn’t seem real. Dude can eat a sandwich, smoke a cigarette, never look at the keyboard and just churn out brilliance nonstop. Goddammit, look at the keyboard! You’re not supposed to be able to improvise perfect keyboard harmony and fills while you’re looking somewhere else!

Anyway, I deeply loved it. Good pacing, Jackson teases the songs you know and leads you through the development while keeping the final version in his pocket. Highly recommend.

I definitely want to see this. Might even force me to subscribe to Disney plus for a month.

This is something I want to see as well. As a kid I saw the early Beatles movies in the theaters, I listened to albums my older brother owned and while they aren’t my favorite band they provide a lot of great memories.

Just be aware it’s 8 hours of a bunch of dudes noodling around. My tolerance for it turned out to be pretty low. To be sure a fascinating look at the process of making the record and I’m glad it exists, but not my cup of tea.

I almost think you have to be a fan to enjoy it. My wife and son made it through the first episode, pretty sure they won’t be back for the second. It just feels really long. That being said there is one scene where they focus on everyone in the band just sitting around talking except for Paul, who is playing around on the piano. The only person even kind of paying attention is Ringo. As he plays you realize he just came up with let it be, and no one notices.

Fair points, to clarify I am a fan, just maybe a 3 on the spectrum of Beatles fans; I vaguely recall the last vestiges of the hype so that’s why I originally said I wasn’t what I would call a fan. I work with a guy utterly obsessed with them so my view of my own fandom is probably skewed. It’s not worth watching if you don’t already know the songs by heart, watching the struggle to birth them wouldn’t be that entertaining if you didn’t have a good idea of what the final product was; most of the fun is watching all the different paths and lyrics they have to try before they settle down to the final version.

I’m a certified fan, and the idea of watching these guys noodle around seems fine. I’m also just glad for historical purposes that the footage has been released. I rather wish they’d filmed, say, the Abbey Road sessions instead, but what are you gonna do.

I watched the first 40 minutes or so. It is pretty cool to watch the guys noodling around and making songs, or just covering some other songs for fun. It was fun to see just how good friends John and Paul were.

I dunno if I’m gonna make it through eight hours of it though!

I agree that it feels more like an archival document than a documentary, but I give Peter Jackson credit for just letting us watch it all play out. I’m definitely a big enough Beatles fan to find all of it fascinating. Being able to watch them work is amazing, but also being able to see the interpersonal dynamics at play in 1969, including the self-awareness of Paul and John, is really interesting.

I also found this tweet from Buffalo Tom’s Bill Janovitz to be hysterical:

Watched the first episode - kind of in the background while reading. Fascinating, simply fascinating, even for someone who was born a decade after they broke up. The section 90 minutes in I had to rewind and rewatch - ostensibly its yet another belabored argument over the live concert… but in the background Paul is plucking away at the piano, working out the melody for Let It Be. Fascinating! Like the earlier section where you can see Get Back born from him just f’ing around with chords (63 minutes in), but in the background…

Loved seeing them mess around - George (and Paul) on Drums at points, Ringo singing or pretending to be an announcer, effortlessly belting out covers…

You can see the tensions in the band - John is losing interest, Paul feels like he has to step in for the late Epstein… but then checks himself constantly as he frets over stepping into the role, Ringo is just trying to get through things (you can practically see him thinking… what’s with all this fucking drama?), and George is chafing at his second banana status as he’s coming into his own musically.

It all comes to a head at the end - Paul and John are in a groove - locked into what must seem like old times - bouncing lyrics and ideas off each other for Get Back like they’re 15 up in one of their bedrooms. Smiling and laughing like its ten years ago… and its making George angrier and angrier - as he must be thinking the same thing -its like its ten years ago and he’s just a guitar player in their band and not a full partner.

Yet a few days earlier the 3 of them were all tossing ideas around just fine… and obviously they come back together to finish the sessions. So George must have went hot and cold on his feelings…

Really looking back at Episode 1, its clear that the Beatles breaking up were inevitable without Epstein to hold them together. Paul can’t keep things together - it ruins the dynamic and he knows it. Martin isn’t interested in management. No one else has the respect of the band to replace him.

If you want to go down a real rabbit hole, Google “Allen Klein broke up the Beatles.”

Well sure - but if Epstein was still alive, you never would’ve had Allen Klein. He was an attempt to fill what appears to have been an unfillable vacuum.

The loss of Epstein was huge, to be sure. You can also just add in ‘growing up’ and having wives/children etc., though I guess that didn’t break up the Stones.

There were some weird stories in the end years, like the doomed ‘Apple Store’ in London, and yeah Klein was like a friggin’ cartoon movie villain. Not too shabby that amid the chaos post-Epstein they still managed to put out two all-time albums (White, Abbey Road) and many more great singles, etc.

It’s pretty remarkable that The Beatles wrapped up The White Album sessions in October 1968 and were back trying to record a new record and TV special less than 3 months later.

Perhaps even more remarkable is that the sessions for Abbey Road began in February 1969, just a few weeks after these Get Back sessions featured in the documentary.

They were always insanely productive. Maybe not to equal their peak of 64-65 (4 albums, lots of singles, two films, world tours), but still.

For once I’m grateful for Peter Jackson’s maximalist tendencies. This is the best music documentary I’ve ever seen, though I would be the first to admit I’m no authority in this area. Just watching those iconic songs in embryonic form or Paul McCartney summoning genius out of the ether was a genuine treat. In moments, it captures the camaraderie of A Hard Days Night, which was a staple for me growing up, except this time it’s not scripted (just heavily edited).Their Quarryman and Eddie Cochrane warm-ups were so cool.

Seeing McCartney create Get Back was pretty amazing. I guess you can write most of a classic in 15 minutes.

Lennon for most of that first episode looked like he didn’t want to be there. George came across as insecure. McCartney clearly didn’t want to be the boss but someone needed to move things forward. Ringo was just sort of cool, taking it all in.

While quite interesting, it felt a bit long. I might skip to episode 3 to watch the rooftop concert.

Friends and I have been talking about The Billy Preston Effect that clearly happens here.

Everyone in the band is at a creative standstill. They’re fairly sullen, sniping at one another and kind of generally being asses and stagnating and not getting things done and everyone’s frustrated with everyone else. They’re in this insular world with themselves, and even they’re getting sick of themselves.

And then Billy Preston shows up. And he’s this capable, formidably, palpably cool presence in the room. Everyone wants to be Billy Preston’s friend. Billy Preston is THE DUDE.

And that’s when the Billy Preston Effect sets in. No one wants to come off acting like an asshole and being a douche and seeming lazy and unenthusiastic when Billy Preston is there. And sure enough, with everyone acting as their best selves and in good behavior so as not to disappoint the cool outsider guy, the Beatles start to find a creative pathway forward. And it’s awesome to watch.

True that. He was an overwhelmingly positive presence, on and off the piano. And Jesus he could play.

In my experience, friends, family, and casual acquaintances all refer to this as the R.R. Morton Effect.