PewDiePie made $4 million last year

I don’t think you understand just how anti-social my gaming is. : )

The only significant multiplayer I have done on-console in the last 4 years has been PvZGW and Titanfall, neither of which would be enhanced with verbal communication. They are there to either get shot or distract the enemy. I don’t mind trade chat in WoW, or text chat in TF2 but for twitch games on a console, I’ll take a 100% pass.

A couple months back I joined a group of people in MFPallytime’s chat on Heroes of the Storm to do one of Blizzard’s stupid party quests.

About a week later I was doing quests and one of them invited me to do Team League. Team League means all quests get done regardless, and I didn’t really care so I said sure. Jumped on the guy’s Discord for coordination/comms. Within the first match an n-bomb was dropped.

If the community members of one of the nicest people in existence are like that, casually, with a complete stranger (I knew one dude there and I’d only played like a few games with him previously), there isn’t much hope.

After a couple matches I logged off and then purged everyone I didn’t know personally from my friend’s list.

This is my life like weekly. Except I’m not in Milwaukee. No offense to anyone who lives in Milwaukee. And I don’t play Gears. Feel free to take offense a that. And say hi to Cliffy.

I play a fair bit of online multiplayer and I kind of dread this happening when I join someone else’s Discord/voice chat. It hasn’t happened yet thankfully, I suspect because my online friends are from places like this and games like Chaos Reborn and Guns of Icarus Online.

I’m always a little uneasy inviting people to mine and my friends’ voice chat, not because we’re slinging racial slurs around or anything like that, but because I know some people just aren’t comfortable with swearing. In fact, I remember mentioning to @Mysterio that there would probably be swearing when we were planning some 4-player Helldivers together. It felt kind of dumb but I just don’t want anyone to feel uncomfortable while they’re trying to have fun. Multiplayer is one the best things about gaming to me, but it can also be the ugliest if you’re playing with the wrong people.

Ugh, that’s so disheartening. Did you say anything? Would it have even been worthwhile? I get not wanting to bother with it, but I wonder if the guy should be told that’s not an acceptable way to talk. I presume there’s at least some mechanism to report the guy for offensive language?

Now you’ve put an image in my head of all the people doing a group event in Guild Wars with me and wondering how many of them who I’m helping and playing alongside are offensively racist dipshits. Probably better to not even think about it…

-Tom

Honestly, I was so stunned I didn’t really do anything. I hadn’t said much up until then as it was. Saying anything wouldn’t have made a dent, they all seemed to be pretty cool with it when it got dropped.

Probably a bad on me on reflection. The just move would’ve been to call them out and then quit, assuring they lost the match. It’s not like I haven’t been around people who’ve used it or anything, I’ve known quite a few in my days. Hell, I still know older people who do. They know my stance on it, though and tend to avoid it.

Turns out they got a stern warning in the end. No fine!

Aww, I was hoping PewDiePie had blurted the ‘N’ word again.

The guy should troll some pharmaceutical patents.

Forbes writes that PewDiePie earned $15.5 million last year, a time when he had 72.5 million subscribers.

Burn it all to the ground. Humanity had a good run, time to give the cockroaches their turn.

It’s just today’s Shock Jocks with a larger reach and bigger paychecks. It’s not even a new type of approach.

Fuck that, we’re taking those gross little assholes with us.

We can try, but my odds are on them surviving that attempt.

I really don’t get the appeal of him. I watch streamers now and then to sample games they’re playing or see how they play popular ones well, and this guy is just impossible to see the appeal of for me.

We just need those mechanical bees from Black Mirror to wipe out all of his followers. (And followers of various other “influencers”)

That’s a perfect analogy. Howard Stern makes something like $100M a year. Steven A Smith makes $10M. I am sure there’s a ton of other examples but the two of them were the first that came to mind. So I am not even sure that larger paycheck is true. He’s maybe underpaid for being such a trash pile.

The big difference is kids weren’t clamoring to listen to radio shock jocks. Not the way PewDiePie appeals to kids.

Depended on the kid. It’s not like they were prevented from listening. The approach though, it’s pretty much the same with a younger appeal. These personalities are not new at all.

He took awhile to get there though right? These younger YouTube groups seem to get there pretty quick so by the time they reach the age of the others they might easily get beyond that… or just get passed by someone else I guess.

Yes. I’m sure there was the odd weirdo child that was super into ousting immigrants, worshipping Reagan, or talking about sex. PewDiePie made his fame by doing things that appealed directly to most young kids - videogames, cartoon humor, and goofy memes.