PewDiePie made $4 million last year

Okey. I am not really all that much interested in if is legal or not, but what is the damn right thing. I am still tryiing to learn it for myself. \o/

That’s fine, just don’t say “it’s not covered by free speech,” when it explicitly is.

Edit: Though to be fair the fire in a crowded theater is a very common misunderstanding for whatever reason.

I dare either of you to get on a plane and scream fire or bomb. I’m thinking the first one will get your ass booted off the plane but you can go home… thinking the second will lead to a charge of some kind.

Exactly. If someone gets hurt, you will be charged with reckless endangerment.

Your rights on a plane and in an airport tend to be a lot less than normal. Still pretty sure it’s not technically illegal, but you wont be making your flight and you’ll be detained with some less than friendly LEO’s for quite some time. Could also be used to get a warrant that might actually find something.

And sure you could be charged if someone gets hurt, but that doesn’t mean the speech wasn’t protected.

So just let me know what jail you wind up in so I can send you a few board game to pass your time. It sounds like you’re ready to stand before a judge to tell them about your protected speech. I’ll do my part though… do you prefer card or board games?

LOL, I’m just stating the law. It’s not illegal to stand in front of a bank and mutter to yourself about robbing it either, but I sure as fuck wouldn’t recommend it.

You would definitely get charged for both.

Probably. Again, airports are a special situation where your rights tend to be very limited.

1st, 2nd and 4th Amendments all don’t really apply there. They can search your shit without reason or cause, you can’t say what you want and your right to bear arms is severely restricted.

That reminds me of that Youtube vlogger who was supposedly kicked off of a flight for speaking arabic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/12/21/youtube-star-known-for-pranks-claims-he-was-kicked-off-delta-flight-for-speaking-arabic/?utm_term=.81c6e7df8851

Which, when you unfold that story it turns out, speaking arabic or not, his 'tuber crew were basically shouting and being disruptive while waiting for takeoff.

So yeah, while I can believe in this country that someone could be thrown off a plane for speaking arabic, fuck youtube vloggers and their prank bullshit. And fuck entitled 20 year olds claiming racism to cover their shitty behavior.

“Upon landing the crew was debriefed and multiple passenger statements
collected,” the statement read. “Based on the information collected to
date, it appears the customers who were removed sought to disrupt the
cabin with provocative behavior, including shouting. This type of
conduct is not welcome on any Delta flight. While one, according to
media reports, is a known prankster who was video recorded and
encouraged by his traveling companion, what is paramount to Delta is the
safety and comfort of our passengers and employees. It is clear these
individuals sought to violate that priority.”

Great. But, the youtuber said that he called his mother, and spoke to her in arabic, which is what set off the commotion. Here is what someone sitting in front of Saleh said.

When other passengers told them to stop shouting, however, it
escalated. But Ellis said he did not hear Saleh speaking on the phone in
Arabic. “He was never any part on the phone — I would have heard
the whole conversation,” Ellis said. “If someone’s being racist, I
would stand up right away. In this day in age, you defend each other. It
wasn’t like that. I mean, this guy was trying to antagonize people.
I think because they made it into such a big scenario, [Saleh] then kind
of panicked a little bit.”

God I hate most youtube culture.

Looks like Disney and Maker Studios are cleaning house.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/walt-disney-co-lays-off-about-80-from-maker-studios-1487881606

[quote]
Disney’s Maker Studios division will reportedly stop promoting roughly 55,000 YouTubers’ channels and cease selling ads, but hasn’t said who that affects just yet. Disney and Maker currently support more than 60,000 YouTubers.

The company is apparently looking to bring the total number of YouTubers it supports to around 300. The creators the company backs will feature channels that share the same core values the company stands behind with its own series or films. Most interesting, however, is the decision to incorporate the YouTubers under the Disney banner, helping them work with other divisions in the company.[/quote]

This was supposedly in the works before the PDP dust-up.

I mean, from Disney’s perspective, it kind of makes sense. Tighter integration of a smaller number of partners. The massive scale before could allow them to find those best fits.

So while it will stink for most of those channels, it is a big boost to those kept on, as it could mean real resources in their direction.

Disney is making the wrong decision here. Screening is certainly important-- you don’t want a racist or whatever showing your ads. But it’s important to cast a wide net, because you never know what 13 year old kid singing into a hairbrush is going to turn into the next Bieber.

That was my thought too. 300 is a tiny, tiny list of creators for a company with a global audience, particularly on a medium that thrives on the new hotness.

I think I remember hearing somewhere that PDP had a pretty nice deal with Maker too, like they didn’t get very much income from him, so they could use him as a selling point for their Maker brand program.

Probably made it a bit easier to say, fuck this, after the controversy.

Maybe so, but also one that makes sense when you consider Disney’s corporate image. Whatever else you might attribute to them, they like to closely control that. So while a wide net gives more potential for discovery, it also exposes them to more brand tarnishing incidents like this. So they probably view that additional liability as more costly than loosing out on some yet to be discovered star.

It’s certainly the risk averse play, and probably the wrong one from a profit maximization perspective, but one that fully fits with in what we know of Disney.

Corporate image corporate shmimage.

Disney owns Marvel, who released Jessica Jones dealing with repeated abuse and rape. It owns ABC, which makes Scandal (no elaboration needed there), and A&E which makes Bates Motel, very dark incest and murder. It owns VICE media, which produces entire series of shows about weed. It owns Touchstone pictures, which made Pretty Woman, a movie about a hooker.

Disney produces tons of off-brand content. It does that by putting it under another brand.

Maker Studios is another brand.

Sure, but it does so under cultivated sub brands. And not everyone associates those other brands with Disney, for sure. Like until this happened I had no idea Disney owned Maker.

I’m not making a judgement that this is the right or wrong decision, merely that I can understand it from Disney’s perspective. Even for properties that would not fit with the Disney brand image, they still like to have deliberate intentions on how they are portrayed. And content you produce yourself internally is easier to do so. So it makes sense from that perspective they would trim back massively to a scale where they can exert greater control and influence, as well as be able to leverage in more parallel contexts. Bringing it into the Disney brand more closely and working them with other divisions is the kind of thing they only could and would do with a more curated offering.

Because to me that smells of merchandising and cross promoting. And merchandising and cross promoting of relatively uncontrolled brands is playing with fire. Imagine, if you will, that Disney had PewDiePie mugs or whatever in Disney stores, or at Disney Parks. Imagine that happens when this blows up. That’s a nightmare scenario for Disney.

It sounds like the impossibility of discoverability. Popularity is both too random AND too ephemeral. There’s also an issue of the increasing professionalization of YouTubr content - places like Buzzfeed are reliability hitting 1m views by having a professional studio but churning through the kids.

PDP made a new video about the whole thing. I love the smell of hypocrites roasting in the evening.

Also, his previous video from yesterday where he kills Hitler to prove he isn’t an antisemite is awesome.