PewDiePie made $4 million last year

Youtube Red also pulls out.

Well, he’ll still have an audience on Voat.

So no more monetization of his videos?

GOOD.

Holly shit. That’s some epic career suicide.

This is just crazy to hear / read about. How could he think that this was acceptable in any way shape or form?

I mean, I get that being offensive and snarky is part of his schtick, and I certainly don’t believe he supports Nazi ideology, but you work for Disney, man. There’s “offensive” and there’s OFFENSIVE. Disney doesn’t play in the latter arena.

No, I don’t think so. They cancelled the show he did for their subscription service, but that’s it.

I agree. Vloggers suck.

Look, I don’t really like his style of videos, and his style of humor, but this is kind of ridiculous. As the joke was basically, what kinds of crazy things can I get people to do for 5 bucks. And some people did it. It wasn’t a very good joke, all shock value, no substance. But, the guy is not an anti-semite, he just made a bad and immature joke. That was the equivalent of “haha jews is an offensive term haha”. He probably should have paid them 5 dollars to put up “PewDiePie is my leather daddy”. Mildly offensive, and probably funnier.

I could understand if this was some sort of pattern of abuse, but this really is crazy to drop that much money for less than 1 minute of video of a bad and immature joke.

But, this is what you get as youtube turns more towards .#brands and monetization. For better or worse you get the edges cut off.

This isn’t really going to destroy his career. His legions of millions of millions of followers will continue to watch, and youtube will continue to monetize. His even more lucrative brand deals, however, probably are going to be gone until he posts a heartfelt apology video, and donates 100k to some charity. And then, they will let him back in, because he makes them so much goddamn money.

Best reply

I think it doesn’t matter if he really hates Jews or not. He’s got millions of kids watching his channel (some of them are my Jewish son) and many won’t understand his sense of humor and will take this at face value.

It’s Disney. They don’t give a crap about his brand or style as long as he’s making them money and not stirring up controversy. Their acquisition of Maker Studios is an experiment for them. It’s them dipping their toes into this new media arena, and the financials aren’t as important as the lessons they’ll glean from the ownership.

PewDiePie should’ve known that making Nazi jokes while under the Disney name wasn’t going to go well. He screwed up. I don’t think anyone seriously thinks he’s a Nazi or supports hate crimes against Jews, but there are just some jokes you aren’t going to get away with under Disney. Whatever money PewDiePie brought in wasn’t worth the blowback to Disney.

Try reading more Disney Severs Ties With YouTube Star PewDiePie After Anti-Semitic Posts - WSJ

Since August, PewDiePie has posted nine videos that include anti-Semitic jokes or Nazi imagery, according to a review of his channel by The Wall Street Journal.

Disney didn’t cut him because of a single incident. They cut him because the Wall Street Journal had a story mentioning that in the past year he was now into double digits for variants of this “joke”

Can I get your WSJ login info?

Because I can’t read more.

But yeah, that is pretty bad, if this is sort of a pattern.

Oh yeah, for sure. That is what I was getting at. .#brands like Disney can’t handle controversy. Everything has to be inoffensive and free from any sort of controversy. Can’t make the brand look bad.

I’d feel bad for the guy, if he wasn’t someone who already has made more money than I will in 10 lifetimes.

Pewdiepie is a hugely prominent public figure no matter how you slice
it, and his recent gaffes have prompted reactions from all corners of
the Internet. People on YouTube came to his defense, believing he was
simply telling un-PC “jokes.” However, he also received support from
places like neo-Nazi website Daily Stormer, which reportedly changed its name to “The world’s #1 PewDiePie fansite” late last month.

And there goes any empathy I could have ever possibly had for a comedian in hot water over edgy jokes. When a neo-nazi site is your fan, you got a bad thing going on there fella.

I don’t get why you feel sorry for him. Reading wampus’ link, he may not be so innocent. Did he make similar jokes about blacks, Muslims or LGBT people?

He sees it as comedy, and isn’t an anti-semite himself. The real problem is that joking about these things normalizes hate speech.

Similar language is commonly used by the 4chan/voat crowd to deface comment sections, websites, chats, etc, simply because it’s offensive. They do it its shock value, for the lulz. Most of those kids aren’t anti-semites or racists. But they make it OK to say these things by desensitizing them.

“Hitler did nothing wrong” has become part of their patois, much like calling outsiders normies and cucks, and each other faggots. That’s a problem, but there really is no solution-- their language will evolve organically and it can’t be controlled.

What can be controlled is monetization. Even if his millions of followers don’t care if the cucknormies are offended, once YouTube, Twitch, and Patreon won’t support a vlogger like pewpewdie, and his sponsors run away too, how does he make a living? Direct PayPal donations, perhaps? Selling T-shirts direct for bitcoin?

PewDiePie and Flynn in the same day … maybe there’s hope for humanity after all.

I agree that normalizing such speech is the main issue.

Anyway, what his followers will take from this is that the Jews control the media.

Naw. They’ll chalk it up to political correctness. When they blame the jews (and they will do so in public) they’ll do so for the shock value, not because they actually believe it.

Pewpewdie has millions of devoted followers, and they’re kids between the ages of 13 and 20, not hardcore white supremacists. He’ll bounce back and be much more circumspect about his activities.