PewDiePie made $4 million last year

It’s just today’s Shock Jocks with a larger reach and bigger paychecks. It’s not even a new type of approach.

Fuck that, we’re taking those gross little assholes with us.

We can try, but my odds are on them surviving that attempt.

I really don’t get the appeal of him. I watch streamers now and then to sample games they’re playing or see how they play popular ones well, and this guy is just impossible to see the appeal of for me.

We just need those mechanical bees from Black Mirror to wipe out all of his followers. (And followers of various other “influencers”)

That’s a perfect analogy. Howard Stern makes something like $100M a year. Steven A Smith makes $10M. I am sure there’s a ton of other examples but the two of them were the first that came to mind. So I am not even sure that larger paycheck is true. He’s maybe underpaid for being such a trash pile.

The big difference is kids weren’t clamoring to listen to radio shock jocks. Not the way PewDiePie appeals to kids.

Depended on the kid. It’s not like they were prevented from listening. The approach though, it’s pretty much the same with a younger appeal. These personalities are not new at all.

He took awhile to get there though right? These younger YouTube groups seem to get there pretty quick so by the time they reach the age of the others they might easily get beyond that… or just get passed by someone else I guess.

Yes. I’m sure there was the odd weirdo child that was super into ousting immigrants, worshipping Reagan, or talking about sex. PewDiePie made his fame by doing things that appealed directly to most young kids - videogames, cartoon humor, and goofy memes.

Stern grew up at least. He’s a pretty thoughtful guy at this point. I don’t know if PewDiePie will ever get there.

Did his screaming the n-word in a gaming session or paying someone to hold up a ‘death to Jews’ sign make any kind of dent in his user base or revenue stream?

Don’t answer that…

Stern grew up, but he’s still the same guy that (over the air) advocated genocide on 9/11, and doubled down when asked to clarify his statement in regards to Muslim kids, too.

Hmm, guess I missed that clip! I do remember Joan Rivers advocating torture on Bill Maher’s show just after the attacks.

I only know about it because last year I went down a Youtube rabbit hole of watching & listening to unedited news and other live broadcasts that occured when hosts learned of the event while on the air.

Stern was broadcasting at the time the attack began, and there’s a lot of off-the-cuff remarks made in the moment as the day unfolded.

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen an issue made of it in the press or anywhere, but it’s there in the broadcasts.

He, Howard Stern, didn’t start his career as an old man. I just think some people have forgotten about MTV TV DJs, Big Brother… all the stuff that was considered shocking and outrageous years ago, and yes, they appealed to young people.

This is just a different format that can reach a larger audience pretty easily.

Agreed. I have watched many different Dark Souls play thrus and I could never get thru his.

Stephen A Smith is a shock jock?

I mean, kind of? He’s an obnoxious boor who seems to delight in taking extreme, and unfounded, positions.

Of course that describes half of sports media commentators so…

Youtube recommended me this few months back

I was pleasantly surprised. I watched more of his stuff. Lot of it is just laughing about memes, but he’s not a bad guy and occasionally does a good video.

I only know Howard Stern from the movie Private Parts. I saw it at friend’s house when we were 12 or 13 years. I still enjoy it today :)

Pigvomit!

I am not really a fan of Stern or PewDiePew, but at the same time, I can acknowledge they’re and were not some sort of out of nowhere aberration. Also old guys saying this other old guy is better now, well, that’s not a huge surprise either, but it doesn’t really change the awful things Stern said over the years.

Would I choose either person as a role model for young people, nope… and I’m pretty sure that’s a large part of the appeal.