PewDiePie made $4 million last year

http://online.wsj.com/articles/youtube-star-plays-videogames-earns-4-million-a-year-1402939896

In 2013, his operation pulled in the equivalent of $4 million in ad sales, most of which is pure profit.

I’m in the wrong business.

That’s a lot!

Sometimes people are just lucky and step in shit. :)

Hopefully he has half a brain in there somewhere and is banking as much as he can, his kind of popularity won’t last forever.

I find him super irritating and pretty much useless as a game reviewer ( is he a game reviewer? ) , I’d rather watch a TotalBiscuit review any day.

That’s amazing.

Surprised it’s not more.

I have no idea what we’re talking about.

There is actually a helpful link in the OP!

Who has time for that?

Same, but he doesn’t seem to be a bad dude when he’s out of character. There’s a video of a lecture he made at the university floating around on youtube.

Listen, he’s by far not the most annoying kid ever to grace a screen.

Youtuber is the new Radio Star.
Its like a business built on top some EULA, so can die one night with a eula update.

I found PewPewDie unwatchable for how hyperactive he is. TotalBiscuit is more watchable, even when I disagree with it, that is rare.

I like him. Find him funny and his let’s plays are entertaining. Definitely not a reviewer by my definition, but there are plenty to pick from there.
My kids like him as well, which is even better.

Still can’t quite grasp how big he is though (+27M subs!?!?!)

It’s kids at work. They talk up something and they all start checking it out. Young teens are like those giant flocks of birds that fly in formation and suddenly wheel in unison in the sky, seemingly out of whimsy.

I’ve watched a few of his videos, and I honestly have no idea how he’s so popular. I find his PewDiePie character to be one of the most annoying things in the world.

Kudos to him for turning his popularity into a very good living. Also, I’ll give him credit for donating some of his money to charities and for highlighting smaller games rather than AAA titles.

“Look, daddy’s watching dumb videos!” is what my wife said to bub when I watched my first ever PewDiePie after reading this thread.

“4 million”, I said, “that’s what that dumb video made that guy last year.”

Do you think she’ll let me quit my job to be a youtuber, though?

I love Gary Larson.

I find PewDiePie really irritating generally but he has made me laugh out loud a number times (usually during the highlight reels he does), which is more than a lot of comedians and comedy shows/films have managed in the past, so… bro fist and all that? I think I find Francis even more annoying but he seems a really stand up fella’ outside of that persona. Either way, $4m is a lot.

For those interested in the mechanics of why he is popular, this link goes into a lot of details about YouTube algorithms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgMqhEMhVV8. I’ll add my own theory, which also goes for Smosh – I think they are (comparatively) good looking in relation to their YouTube competitors in the same space.

[Quote]PewDiePie loses Disney deal as a result of anti-Semitic imagery

“The move comes after a Wall Street Journal review found that nine of Kjellberg’s videos posted over the last six months featured imagery including swastikas, Nazi salutes, and shots of Hitler. Last month alone, the YouTube star showed a clip of a man dressed as Jesus Christ saying “Hitler did absolutely nothing wrong,” and paid two Indian men to hold up a banner reading “Death to All Jews” via freelancing website Fiverr”[/quote]

Ouch. Bye bye $4M.