Phantom Brigade

Sold. So. Sold.

Oh yeah, I shoulda known you’d be into this Brian :) If you’re interested I can probably get you a code for the alpha for your YouTube / stream / etc.

Nothing at all. :)

I definitely wouldn’t say no, sir. :)

Honestly, graphically speaking, it looks better than Battletech.

I REALLY dig the chunky, detailed look of the mechs. You get to see all the bolts and struts and motors and things that hold them together. Also, you can strip off the armor bits / limbs and reconfigure it all or even leave parts off if you’re out of parts/resources/etc.

I heard about this for the first time today and it’s now available on Epic in Early Access. I’ve no interest in playing it until it’s done but I was quite curious/confused to see the XCOM comments above having only seen this video…

…I then took a peek at the PC Gamer article in the OP and it looks like they’ve taken it in a much more interesting plan-then-execute simultaneous time-based tactics (WeGo?) direction, a la Frozen Synapse/Cortex. It looks fantastic.

I loved just about everything about that video, thanks for sharing! Now to convince myself not to jump on it right at the start of EA

That looks like a cool take on WEGO, I’m definitely in for this one when it’s done. Thanks for posting that vid, that looks so good.

I’ve been eagerly following this for years but I think I’ll wait for the 1.0 release. Their roadmap lists ‘narrative work’ to be done in the near future, so I’m happy to wait for the story to be complete-ish before leaping on.

Same! Must resist. Too many games already without being sucked into Early Access games…!

Looks like it’ll be on Steam for the 1.0 release, so that might be enough to convince myself to wait.

I purchased this the other day.

The gimmick is that you have a new tech that allows you to predict where the enemy is going to move and who they will attack and you set your response in a video type editor to plan everything out.

I am having some problems learning how to set commands and movement. I thought you would move a bit and then set an attack and then move again and so on. Now I am thinking that you set up the entire movement and then go back and select what you will attack and with which weapon on the movement path you established.

The other awkward part is switching to my second Mech. I keep thinking I set both Mechs with their orders but only one seems to do what I said to do. I have to keep practicing until I get it down.

For those curious you can ram other Mechs and there are shields and swords in the game. I do not have a sword yet. One of the starting Mechs does have a shield which can lead to some interesting tactics. Have the second squad member follow behind the shielded member and than dash out for an opportunity attack.

There is scavenging and I hope that they do not make it too difficult to gain parts ala Battletech. I want to be able to try different things and not be tied down to how much stuff I find.

The game looks very good but a more Japanese art style? The mechs remind me of some the anime Mecha I have seen over the years.

Has anyone by chance played this on EGS and have thoughts on how it’s coming along?

I saw it’s finally coming to Steam end of the month and thought I’d check back in on how it’s looking now.

I’m up for some rock’em sock’em robots doing the WEGO rodeo.

You could try the demo.

True, but what I’d really rather do is hear from someone who’s given it a good run through while it’s been on EGS for what seems like the last 2 years.

Oh snap, finally coming out! I haven’t heard anything from Epic players recently. I recall when it first went into early access people who played it said it definitely needed more time, but also think they stayed pretty positive about the prospects?

Yeah, I just thought I’d check if someone had grabbed it and played it over what feels like a long stay on EGS with the hope being they improved it.

The impression back a couple years ago I got was it was graphically quite nice looking but there wasn’t enough meat to the game.

And the reason this gives me pause is because another game of theirs, Industries of Titan, is getting knocked pretty hard in steam reviews for being pretty yet boring and a bit shallow (the suggestion being the devs either need to finish the game or worse don’t entirely grasp what they’re making).

I purchased it on Epic as I recall when it was supposed to be pure TBS. They changed it to the hybrid TBS/RTS system and I really didnt like it. To be fair I played it a long time ago and it could have improved. If there is a demo I would recommend giving it a try.

I tried the Steam Demo and it doesn’t make a great first impression. First, it defaults resolution to 1080 rather than the monitor resolution. Second, the tutorial is the very frustrating handholdy type where it just keeps telling you to click things and you can’t do anything else until you click exactly what it says. On top of that the UI just didn’t feel great to use, but that may be a thing you just need to get used to but after I played a couple of missions I still found it frustrating. But hey, maybe it’s really a very cool WEGO mech game, but I’ll wait for 1.0 and reviews and hopefully impressions here at this point.