Phantom Doctrine - XCOM meets spies in the Cold War

I watched Tom’s video of the strategy layer this morning, and it seemed like a lot more busywork than XCOM - especially the board where you connect the evidence, or clues, or whatever that stuff is.

I’m still interested, but more inclined to shop around for a sale.

Is Hard West any good? Currently on sale for $1.99.

For $1.99, it seems like you should let everyone know by jumping in first. 😉

hard west is good, not great but good. well worth 1.99!

Pulled trigger. So to speak. $1.99? Sure, why not?

Edit: Not a bad little TBS. $2? Yeah, get it.

That’s a weird policy. Streams of Battletech got me to preorder when I had resolved to wait for a sale and your two streams had me leaning towards doing it for this title. A third stream probably would have broken my cracking resolve.

Just a heads up, as far as I can tell you can’t pre-order this. No idea why, some games just don’t have the option before launch on Steam (usually DLC). I read the price will be $40 at launch, with speculation going towards the “10% off” for the game’s first week.

EDIT - Looks like GOG has pre-orders for some reason? Christopher Odd is giving his viewers 15% off, too.

Yeah, I got an email from GOG this morning quoting list price of $39.99 with a discount, plus an additional discount if you own Hard West (I do, but not from them).

It’s the only place I’ve seen the price so far._

Per Steam forum, the price will be $39.99 with 10% off for 1st week, and 5% more discount if you own “Hard West”.

Looks great, my only concern is “mind control” and the magic tech stuff might end up being the new panzerkleins.

Lol. I love this. So true.

Oh man, those games where great. Too bad they never continued.

Anybody calling? Hello friends

Apparently some streams are allowed, and this one sold me on the game completely.

That’s a good find, I like Party Elite. Christopher Odd is another guy I like for watching games like this and he was able to stream as well. Some really good looking gameplay for sure. I won’t be able to bite at launch (I’m spending all my free money on Magic cards this month, the Commander 2018 decks come out tomorrow!) but I am hoping it gets a good initial reception and improves even with a patch by the time I can pick it up!

Good video, thanks. The deciphering docs stuff seems busywork but it could be a fun distraction now and then. Otherwise what I see I like. Looking forward to the release. Hope the campaign holds together.

Haven’t watched the video yet, is it something like in the old Sid Meier covert action game, where you had to do a simple substitution cypher?

No, it is way simpler. You have to find codewords in documents and then connect documents that contain the same codewords. If the connections are complete it is resolved and something happens. In the example a mission to find a mole. So more busywork and less brain work. But it looks cool.

It definitely looks cool and makes for great flavor.

I didn’t play all that much of Hard West, but the flavor and atmosphere was really great. I’m usually looking for strategy games that I can play for hundreds of hours, but I imagine tying string between notecards is less fun 80 hours in.

If this offers a fun one-time experience with lots of atmosphere, I’ll take that, too, and I do like the looks of the video.

The most annoying thing in far west for me was the lack of overwatch. That’s just how I play these games. Looks like they fixed all my niggles in this one .