Phil Collins is an underappreciated artist

You know he is.

Yeah, I dig the guy. Always liked a bunch of his solo stuff, and I think I’m a bigger fan of Collins era Genesis than Gabriel era. Not the later “I Can’t Dance” stuff though.

Under appreciated? Not ‘round these parts. He’s an amazing artist, and recognized as such. At least here in Montreal. We like our prog rock Brits. Just ask Supertramp.

Also, great choice of song. One of my all time favourites. So creepy, so rocking, so self-indulgent.

Coincidentally, the most recent episode of the Hit Parade podcast is all about Genesis and Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel, et al. It’s a pretty good listen.

I think suspenders and a thin tie need to make a comeback. They are almost as unappreciated as Phil Collins himself.

He’s also an Alamo-iphile for some reason and donated his collection to the Alamo a few years back.

Phil Collins era Genesis is just divine. I love all their output during that era. Including “We Can’t Dance”, which is a brilliant album. It was so unexpected for me as well. He’d been doing his solo material (which I don’t enjoy as much) for a while by that point, and suddenly there was this new Genesis album. I also really love their two volume live album from that era (The Way We Walk Vol 1 & 2). That live album was my first glimpse into pre-Collins Genesis, after which I was able to go back and enjoy the older albums. But I still think they’re best when sung by Phil Collins.

Concur.

Agreed.

My wife mercilessly mocks me for it though.

Putting out a solo album? Want to shake the foundations? Get Phil to play drums.

Phil is one of the greatest drummers of all time. I base this on the Genesis albums up to 1980’s Duke.

I mean, his playing influenced MASTODON’S drummer. How much different can you get than from Genesis to Mastodon?

He did a fantastic job taking over vocal duties from Gabriel. Though I prefer Gabriel-era Genesis, most of those four albums up to Duke were pretty great. Too bad about their later, more pop-oriented stuff (not that it was all bad, I liked “That’s All”, “Land of Confusion” and a few other songs, but overall, they lost me).

As a solo pop artist, no way he is underappreciated. At some point in the 80s it seemed he was even bigger than Genesis AND Peter Gabriel combined. Miami Vice, film soundtracks, top 10 hits, highly lucrative touring with and without Genesis, and the guy is pretty likable, it seems.

Sorry, nothing against Mr. Collins but the title of this thread made me think of…

There is no other drummer that can make me make the below statement.

It was disappointing to see Bruford behind the kit on that tour and not him.

There is Collins stuff I really like, and other Collins stuff that makes me turn off the radio or change the channel.

Contra the thread title, I’d say he’s perfectly appreciated just as he is…neither artistically over- or under-rated.

He produced a metric ton of inoffensive, radio-friendly light rock that’s easy to sing along with and he made hundreds of millions of dollars and won a bunch of Grammys doing it. That’s (quite obviously) a valuable skill, but we don’t have to pretend he’s a great artiste as well.

His first 2 solo albums were amazing. One thing about the second album that’s so interesting to me is that after the first album sold like gangbusters, his ex-wife, who had put him through the hell that inspired the first solo album, jacked up her divorce demands for a share of the profits because the pain she put him through was the genesis for the album, or so the story went… he even wrote a song for his next album “I cannot believe it’s true” all about that demand…

If this is all you’re basing your opinion on then your opinion is pointless. There is so much more to Phil’s career than his solo stuff. And when it comes to percussion he is absolutely underrated. There are very few drummers who have ever had his level of skill on drums. His work with Genesis, especially in the Gabriel years, when his focus was locked in on drums, is incredible.

Truth. As sure as eggs is eggs.

To:

And beyond and in between too.

Any Drummer’ll tell you…

Oh, yeah, and this too…