Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams

Overall, I liked it. There’s only one episode I consider bad (04), though it is unbelievably mega bad.

Here’s the episode breakdown with the PKD short story it was adapted from:

Episode PKD Story
01 Real Life Exhibit Piece
02 Autofac Autofac
03 Human Is Human Is
04 Crazy Diamond Sales Pitch
05 The Hood Maker The Hood Maker
06 Safe and Sound Foster, You’re Dead!
07 The Father Thing The Father-thing
08 Impossible Planet The Impossible Planet
09 The Commuter The Commuter
10 Kill All Others The Hanging Stranger

I’d say at least half of these are good to very good.

Huh. That’s definitely not the order they were shown in the UK. Not that it particularly matters, but weird that they’d reorder them for Amazon.

Yes well, the UK sucks. So there’s that. I mean you guys think Doctor Who is sci-fi.

I liked it overall but I do wonder why they bothered with the “Philip K. Dick” branding if they’re going to totally re-imagine all the stories. Only a handful felt PKD-ish to me in terms of tone

Wumpus, lol, those are fighting words! Ive spent half my disposable money traveling there I love it so much! :)

Just finished these last night and thought they were very black mirror like. Some (autofac) were very good. A few (impossible planet) were cringe inducing or hilariously bad depending on your point of view.

Diego

Well, there you have it.

Saw Autofac and Real Life yesterday. Both were HEAVILY adapted from the source material.

Liked both, though.

Okay, I’m rather curious now, because the one I saw was incredibly poorly made - How are these other episodes? Is that the same? Or are they of higher production values, so to speak? I’d love to see it, but maybe I have a different treshold for production values than others?!

The production value in Autofac was a bit varied. Some of the sets and CG seemed a bit low budget. But… I can see how that can be linked to the plot. The art design was good, though.

I think the production value on Real Life seemed to be generally higher, though.

None of it is high production value in the prestige drama sense. But the low-fi aesthetic works better for some episodes than others.

Maybe it’s that I have almost an entire shelf of PKD, but I can’t believe you guys aren’t crazy about this show. It’s Black Mirror but better. More concerned with the classic PKD-ian questions of “What is reality?” & “What is human?”

I’m only a couple episodes in, but I love the way it plays off the tone of things it riffs off of. The first episode knows it’s similar to the Star Trek episode of Black Mirror, to the point where it uses the same prop for the VR world, so it uses that similarity almost as a misdirect! That’s brilliant. The second episode does it again. It knows Autofac is eerily similar to Skynet, so it uses that cultural background to build tension without unnecessary exposition.

I don’t know what you guys are talking about with regards to it not feeling like Philip K Dick. So far there have been layers upon layers of paranoia & collapsing expectations in both episodes, built on top of deeply PKD-ian themes.

I’m gonna watch out for that 4th episode though… Maybe I should skip it?

Don’t judge it by just the first two as great. It’s not the level of Black Mirror IMO. There are several good episodes that I would put on par with BM but it’s also very inconsistent with several pretty weak episodes. I think they would have been served better by going with a shorter number of episodes and focusing more on those.

I’m kind of the opposite. I think they’d have been better served by having twice, or even three times as many, but much shorter. Make it like a true short-story anthology with 10 minute eps.Probably would have been very costly though.

I liked it, but nowhere near as much as Black Mirror. But that’s partly because I prefer different Dick stories. And I still want Ubik adapted, dammit!

This. I think I have 3 episodes left and I am starting to wonder if it will be worth it. I was looking forward to the Bryan Cranston episode but it was one of the worst.

Watched this via Amazon Prime video recently and overall enjoyed myself. The production values seemed fine to me, and it’s nice to have world-building in every episode to enjoy. Some of the individual plots were less than impressive, but isn’t that true of nearly all shows? Thought they shoehorned in unnecessary sexytime in several places, could have done without that. But each episode gave me something to think about and that’s successful in my book.

Just watched the episode about the father of a disturbed teen takes a train to an possible imaginary town. I am pretty confused on what was going on there. I know the purpose of the story is confusion and interpretation but I’m curious of your takes.

Was he going crazy? Was everything a figment of his imagination or real? The interaction with his co-worker leads me to believe that in the story there is a shared alternate reality that is real even if it’s a figment of their imagination. Why did he end up bringing devastation to that place and why were some things, (marriage proposal) always repeated?

The quality of some episodes is on par with Black Mirror. Hope they do a season 2 soon.

The fact that you’re asking those questions suggests they did a good job of adapting PK Dick.