Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

That was as much as I got on my skim through… and I’m fine with that. As long as it’s pretty ok content and xcomical mechanics, good enough for me.

I’m glad I kickstarted this or whatever it’s called.

This is gonna be good!

We figged it!

This looks amazing. Can’t wait.

Me too! I backed this thing as soon as it was announced. I’m just curious how that surface similarity affects people who don’t know anything about Julian Gollop and assume this is just an XCOM clone(oh the irony). Does it make them more or less likely to pick it up?

I figged it too. I started watching that video last night but then was like ‘What am I doing? You loved X-COM, you loved Chaos Reborn, you don’t need to watch this and spoil some of the surprise’ and closed it down. It looked great from what I saw and I can’t wait to see how all the mutation and faction mechanics come together. Really excited about it.

I don’t think this will be a problem because any coverage I’ve seen of Phoenix Point tags Gollop with the original X-COM somewhere in the dialogue, often right out of the gates.

Hahahahaha me too!

Backers build realease on April 30.

Glad they’re doing well.

Keeping myself in the dark on this but really excited. Xcomlike is an underserved genre, and who better to further it than its creator?

This looks great. It looks like Gollop reeaaaally liked Jake Solomon’s X-COM design because he straight up copied it. The blue vs yellow for movement, the lines, the way the camera moves, etc. Looks like the UI is not quite as polished or streamlined as Solomon’s but that’s ok.

Hope we get some really good destruction modelling.

That blue/yellow thing can’t work the same way because they’re using time units instead of two actions I recall. Not sure how it works.

The smaller distance is how far you can move and still have enough AP/TU/whatever to fire your currently equipped gun.

Ah. Cool.

Unlike X-Com, you can move and stop and then move again and fire or take other actions as long as you remain within the first highlighted area.

Which will certainly be good for avoiding e.g. whatever the equivalent of the Snakemen poison cloud is. XCOM’s lack of waypointing made stuff like that infuriating. “I can totally nove over here except I can’t avoid the cloud because of the pathing so I get poisoned THANKS OBAMA”.

(also, I hate to be that guy, but it there’s no dash in the Firaxis games’ titles. heh).

However the system is also necessary for another important mechanical difference (and really, Xcom and Phoenix Point are not very similar in terms of mechanics): if you spot an enemy while moving your movement stops immediately, allowing you to make a tactical adjustment to whatever you were doing. And no pods, thank RNGesus.

The only video I’ve watched of FP so far was pretty amazing. I can’t wait.

You do know about Ctrl+Click waypoints in XCOM2 right?

I was citing the original, hence “XCOM” and not “XCOM 2”. I realize people are tossing around “xcom” to refer to the Firaxis franchise (and I did it a few sentences later). But that was a first game reference.