Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

Most of these stores release games at some arbitrary time, GMT or something.

11am PT / 7pm GMT Epic Store release time.

Well I’ll see what the hive mind is saying this afternoon, then! Though I’m unlikely to jump on this right now as I just got the XCOM 2 bundle on sale to fiddle with. Probably won’t need another alien blasting fix right away.

God I loved it. Port terror missions, underwater hyjinx, and those god . . . damned . . . ship terror missions. Opening every cabin door, ready for action. And the aliens! So alien. Even more alien than the original. I loved seeing some huge underwater monstrosity in the deep, hidden in the shadows.

Yeah - it was great. It was also horribly difficult. But it oozed atmosphere and danger, even more so than the original. The Crabmen were the worst.

Any idea if/when this releases on Game Pass? I was looking around for it last night and saw nothing on the site, but perhaps there is a one-year wait until Epic exclusivity runs out?

The closest I could find is some very old information saying it would be available on Game Pass “in December.” I sort of make the assumption it will be simultaneous with the Epic release, given the Epic release is also stated as “in December.”

See this page - https://phoenixpoint.info/faq - under the caption " Which platforms will Phoenix Point be distributed on?"

See, also, this - https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2019/11/22/november-development-update - " Microsoft Game Pass. Phoenix Point will also be available to play on Microsoft Game Pass on Windows 10 for those with the appropriate subscription. We are aiming for this release to happen simultaneously with the Epic Games Store release, but the exact timing depends on certification with Microsoft and is therefore out of our control."

That’s not incredibly inspiring, I know.

The Crabmen are some of my all-time favorites. I still shudder to think of them.

Installing now!

15.1 GB download.

I definitely have Phoenix envy.

Couple of other reviews if anyone is interested:

All the reviews seem positive, the biggest mark against the game is what was expected: technical issues / bugs, it doesn’t have the polish of an AAA game. I will wait a pair of months until the important bugs are cleared off!

This guy didn’t think it was different enough from the Firaxis XCOM, near as I can tell. 3/5.

Tom is going at it

Ohhh! That’s cool. Maybe I can sneak away from the salt mines for a bit to check it out.

I have only played past the tutorial and the first mission, and i only have one tip so far: install this on an SSD drive.

For some reason I wrongly thought this was coming to PC GamePass. Forgot it’s Epic exclusive.

It’s coming to GamePass.

It is coming, but they didn’t get the build to MS until late so it has a few days to go through cert process.