Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

It is easy, but my assumption is if you use Google, for example, to sign into (say for example EPIC) and later EPIC comes out with a statement that hey, someone just stole 200,000 accounts username, email, and passwords then somewhere being traded around on the “dark web” is a database with your Google account/password in clear text for a bot to try and tackle. If you have two factor authentication and alerts set up you’ll probably, even then, be fine and just want to change your Google password, but that can be a huge PITA all by itself. Even best case, it’s a headache. I recommend only using unique passwords for every login.

This is definitely not true. There’s no way that Google is letting anyone else have their users’ logins. What happens is that the third party (here, Epic) asks Google’s servers what user is currently logged in here and Google says “Joe Bob”. So if Epic gets breached then there’s actually one less password revealed.

However, Google will know that you logged into Epic.

That’s good to know, I guess I just assumed the worst.

In that case, I don’t really know of what other possible issues logging into a service or web site as Google (or Facebook, for that matter) could be that maybe @easytarget was referencing?

Google knowing everything you do and when and where you did it?

Having 1000 doors with 1000 different keys is more secure than having a skeleton key. Now, you could argue that Google has the best security protecting your data (and you’d probably be right) but personally, I’m not going to trust them with the keys to every site I visit.

I don’t really care if Google knows I signed into EPIC, or whatever. I mean, if someone wants to pour through what I do online they are welcome to it. It’s probably going to be very dry reading.

Some things I care about privacy, some things I care about security, and at all times I measure both against convenience.

Google allows me security (Two factor authentication via SMS) but I don’t assume privacy, and it’s very convenient.

I agree, it’s why earlier I said it’s better to have a unique password for every site you get into, and use a password manage to keep track of it all. I can’t recommend doing that enough, it’s never too late to start.

That’s still a single point of failure. You just get to choose which one you want.

Snapshot are doing an AMA and… oh, my.

I hadn’t even thought of the backers in countries where the Epic Store is not available. Talk about screwed over.

Julian is a brave soul wading into that.

I like this question as I’ve had the same thoughts:

Two-parter.

You basically said you could hurt consumers and weather our refunds because the Epic deal would keep you nicely in the black no matter what.

1. Is “We don’t need our customers” the identity you wanted for your company?

2. Do you think Epic will be here for you next time? It doesn’t seem like your consumers will and I’m curious to know if you have a plan in place

That AMA is emblematic of why gaming communities are so often toxic these days.

Most of the posts are stupid, incorrect or insulting.

I backed Phoenix Point simply to help it get made, not for what platform it was being distributed on. I’ve got Steam, GOG, itch, Origin, Uplay and the Windows Store/Xbox app installed so what’s another at this stage? There’s a refund process if you’ve already chucked in and aren’t happy. Anybody would think they’re resurrecting GFWL or something.

I’m sure the decision wasn’t made lightly, Unstable Voltage says as much above, but ultimately Snapshot felt it was better for their long-term plans to accept Epic’s exclusive offer. Obviously it backfired! I wouldn’t have expected something like this to burn so much good will and inflame so many gamers but there it is. I’m not a fan of exclusivity but it’s for a year and we’ve been waiting several already and I’ve got a buttload to play in the meantime so…

Yeah, that I can understand.

I daren’t look!

It’ll be interesting to see how all the companies that cashed in their goodwill for money hats are doing in a few years. Especially the ones making games in niche genres - I’m sure Ubisoft will be just fine.

And the official response is “we’re looking into it.” In other words, “we gave this no thought when we made the deal, we were too busy counting the money.”

Paraphrasing is often used to be disingenuous. This is an example of that.

I’ve been pondering the same. If Phoenix Point doesn’t meet Epic’s internal measures for success on the store, will Epic be around or care enough to invest in their next project 2-3 years out? Crowdfunding is now a dead option for Snapshot and Julian.

If you’re doing crowdfunding, but also if you’re a small dev in general, there is nothing, nothing more important than your community and backers. You never want to piss them off. Saying “it’ll blow over” is the dumbest thing you can do. They’ve potentially destroyed their company for a little short-term stability.