Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

Sharillon

35 points · 31 minutes ago

Question: Backers who backed the game from China can’t even install the Epic Launcher, since Epic Games actively blocks the Launcher there. Why do they have to wait 1 year now because you decided that?

How could I, as a backer, even play the game in China? I could easily do it via GOG or Steam.

level 2

daedalus2

Business Guy-9 points · 18 minutes ago

We’re looking into our options for China right now, and hope to have something to share on that topic soon.

How is that any different from “we’re looking into it?”

It’s a single point of failure you have to break into my house to get to. I can assure you my house is more secure than the internet.

Ah ok so you’re managing a local password manager. That’s fine – it’s just painful across multiple computers.

In other words, “we gave this no thought when we made the deal, we were too busy counting the money.”

Isn’t “we’re looking into it”.

It also isn’t paraphrasing. It’s not what they meant, but it’s certainly what it distills down to.

I’m not sure what your investment is in defending these people, but I see no point whatsoever in trying to turn this into something personal.

express the meaning of (something written or spoken) using different words, especially to achieve greater clarity.

I’m pretty sure it is paraphrasing. Can you show where I’ve defended these people or turned it personal?

Vinraith’s comment was pretty clear. He provided the official response then added his own commentary following that. I don’t see any problems with how it was written.

So I guess we’re assuming now the EGS will never be allowed in China? Weird for a product I’m repeatedly told is built on Chinese dark money.

So the developers approached EPIC store for the money and 1 yr exclusivity, wow.

Reading that AMA is just, wow…

It’s more complicated. China doesn’t really respect gaming in general and sees it as a nuisance. They really hurt Tencent’s profits by barring many of their games there. At the same time, every Chinese company must comply with government rules, and those are often subtle and nefarious.

And if Epic doesn’t want to be associated with China, all they need to do is buy out Tencent’s shares to the point that they’re at a more reasonable level.

I don’t even care about this game, but this sets one hell of an awful precedent if it’s financially successful.

Backers should be feeling a sense of pride and accomplishment for the success of the game.

I was kind of already leaning toward not using crowdfunding for any video game type projects already. This just cements. If they want to make a game they can’t afford on their own, these devs can apparently go ask Epic for some money. If that’s the new star child, then they can do that… I just think that leaves the ones they turn away out in the cold. I am thinking they’re not going to accept everyone.

I’m certainly not bluffing when I said earlier this will be the very last kickstart I participate in ever.

Yeah, I don’t blame you. These platforms operate on trust and violations like this do permanent damage to the viability of the entire business model.

Looks like this forum doesn’t have the latest scoop from the AMA. It turns out Snapshot went to Epic and asked for the money for the exclusive. They literally brought this on themselves! And they had no financial difficulties whatsoever – they just wanted ‘additional security’. Talk about shooting yourself in both feet!

If the game is good, it’s probably going to sell, even on Epic. They didn’t shoot themselves in the foot. They screwed future devs who wanted to work with the existing funding options and not hope and pray Epic wants them.

One of their employees called a fan a toxic cock waffle as well. I’m sure he probably was being one, but that’s a bold move for a company already dealing with PR issues.

I’m not going to hold that against them. The employee is a nice guy, though a little too honest at times. They’re a small company, and the few PR people are doing all-nighters trying to deal with this mess. Can’t expect a person to perform well under those conditions.

Numbering by me. I understand Gollop’s and Business Guy’s answers differently.

1. Your infos were already posted above.
  2. Gollop indeed said this …
  3. … but he didn’t say that, and he actually denied it. He wrote they approached Epic about being listed on their store. IMHO that’s just good business sense, because visibility there is very high. Whether or not he expected Epic to show him the money is a different question. ;)
  4. I agree.
  5. Yes, he wrote that.