Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

You must have missed it, because the download status screen tells you all sorts of data on your download speed, and read/write speed when applying a delta patch, complete with graphs and a little visualizer. I thought it was novel watching a Fortnite patch saturate my SSD’s write speed. So it’s definitely there.

Thanks for the write-up! Nice to see someone talking about the game itself ;-)

If that’s the case that sounds like a nice way of easing you in!

Thanks, sounds fantastic.

Thanks, that’s very reassuring.

Sounds brilliant, thanks!

Do you have to be at a particular tier to have access to the betas? I looked to see if I could find an epic key but couldn’t find one.

Yep, it was at the tier that was something like $10 more. They opened it up again so you could pay the extra to get into the betas right before they released the first one. Not sure if you still can or not.

A video from RPS https://youtu.be/rIX4Yw0Q7Po?t=17067

I like the combat system better than the one in Xcom. More flexibility thanks to really using a TU system under the hood, even if it has the UI commodities of the modern Xcom.

I’m watching the backer beta 4 update video and overall I think this is going to be a neat game and I’m excited to hear impressions and read reviews, fingers crossed it’s as outstanding as it’s potential indicates it could be.

I do have some concerns/questions. I’m not sure I like the idea of “free aiming” because it feels like something that you HAVE to do every time you go to take a shot? And I don’t like that you can barely tell (or I can’t much at any rate) what’s happening as the camera is showing the shot taken from behind the character firing, limiting a lot of your view of the action. I’d rather the action stayed entirely isometric, personally.

The new system for setting up angles of overwatch is… kind of a pain, it looks like. Holding down CNTRL to adjust the shape and length of your cone doesn’t seem intuitive and it also seems like it’s going to get annoying pretty quickly.

Has anyone been playing this? Thoughts (if you’re allowed) on the game so far?

Yeah, I feel like I want it to stay first-person or zoom out to top-down rather than go third-person and miss the shot.

Also for Game Pass PC

Oh wow so instead of backing the game all that time ago I could have waited and paid a dollar instead! :)

F#ck yes!

No way. I was planning on getting that and Metro from Epic… I wonder if the Epic sale was to grab some sales before MS moved in.

But September will be free trial month for Uplay+ !

Someone needs to do an app or site telling me what to subscribe to when. It’s like timing the Humble bundle on steroids.

Ha! That deal conversion is the best thing ever.

Yep! MS Gampass has fulfilled my prophecy of all games eventually costing $1. And now even when they release!

Paid a dollar how? You can actually own (as opposed to have some monthly pass) Phoenix Point for $1?

Xbox Ultimate Game Pass is $1 right now. If you have Xbox Live Gold or regular Game Pass on your account, the $1 special offer converts all of your current Xbox subscriptions to that level.

For example, thanks to old card purchases on eBay, I had Gold valid out to Feb 2021. I did the $1 special deal, and I now have Game Pass Ultimate out to Feb 2021.

I don’t own an Xbox, so I’m not sure what this means. Like you get all games for $1 so long as you “buy” them before 2021?

A lot of their games are either exclusive to PC or work on PC. You just get the Game Pass for PC.

It’s a subscription service. As long as you subscribe you get access to whatever is currently in the Game Pass library. It’s like Netflix.