Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

This looks insteresting. In on the early bird level!

I’m in!

I’ve pledged, loved the original, should probably try chaos reborn at some point.

My life for you.

Btw 39% right now.

Will this be more involved than the latest X-Coms? More stats and stuff like his original games?

He did an AMA recently that might help answer that question. I would expect a middle ground. Somebody asked him about whether the game will use Time Units over XCOM’s dual-action system, and this was his answer:

It’s a hybrid - you have a move and shoot action as standard, but you can use ‘will points’ to extend or add actions depending on abilities, plus if you spot an enemy your movement is stopped and you can react - either by moving or shooting.

It also appears to have a limb-targeting combat system. He seems to think the main selling points are 3rd party human factions that you interact with at a strategic (and also tactical?) level and their enemy evolution system whereby the monsters learn what tactics you are succeeding with and procedurally evolve counters to them over time.

So I would probably say yes to “more involved”.

In terms of soldiers - its closer to XCOM 2012, but it will be more difficult for your soldiers to permanently die.

I agree with that redditor-- saddest news in the thread. :-(((

Thanks @JPR As long as it’s more not less. I think it would be a huge step backwards to have it be on par or more streamlined than 2k’s Xcom. I liked Firaxis one OK, but it didn’t draw me in nearly as much as the original X-Com and Terror from the Deep.

I’m amused that as of just now they’ve sold 1924 of the 2000 early-bird download keys at $25 and 25 of the non-early-bird download keys at $30.

Not sure permanent death being harder is necessarily sad news, depends on how it’s done, and at least for the majority who played Xcom:EU and Xcom2 and never won they might actually be cheered up by the news.

27% have the achievement Humanity’s Savior for EU, awarded when you win on any difficulty

35% have the achievment Earth Avenged for winning any difficulty on xcom2

My take, I don’t mind hard, I do mind it when it turns into a puzzle game with a narrow path to victory that takes away from strategy/tactics choices and removes some of the RPG feel that multiple victory paths and ability to lose the occasional mission afford me. Maybe I suck, but in both xcom:eu and xcom2 I felt the need to keep alive a core team otherwise I fell behind the power curve by mid, late campaign. I’d like more flexibility in the design to afford me paths back to the victory line so failure of course penalizes you but doesn’t wreck you.

Backed! I missed the $25 tier but I’m really excited about this. I wasn’t wild about Firaxis’ XCOM so I’m keen to see Gollop’s take on the genre and want as much money and support behind him and his team as possible. The horror angle sounds a lot closer to what I remember of the original X-COM but I imagine recapturing that kind of atmosphere and tension and sense of unknowing will be very difficult today.

You pulled those thoughts right out of my brain. What are you doing in there? :)

He invented it!

Oh balls, looks like I deleted a word during editing. I meant to add his take on the genre today! It’s his big return!

I found this fascinating:

Thanks for sharing that, cool story. Scary to think how close a masterpiece came to never existing in the first place.

You had me at Julian Gollop. In.

Edit: I would have gladly played Laser Squad 2. Laser Squad was one of my favorite C-64 games.

Why haven’t we heard this X-Com story until now? Why are we getting the story from a kid on YouTube instead of hearing it from the mouths of the creators?

It’s not that I don’t necessarily believe all that’s being said there, but that video seems to be more about the presenter being told things instead of hearing from the people involved…

My favorite part:

Bump

Not a whole lot new to report. The game was funded and is close to the first stretch goal. I’m a little disappointed they aren’t running this campaign better, though – the updates are too infrequent and haven’t provided as much information as would be nice.