Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

Unlike X-Com, you can move and stop and then move again and fire or take other actions as long as you remain within the first highlighted area.

Which will certainly be good for avoiding e.g. whatever the equivalent of the Snakemen poison cloud is. XCOM’s lack of waypointing made stuff like that infuriating. “I can totally nove over here except I can’t avoid the cloud because of the pathing so I get poisoned THANKS OBAMA”.

(also, I hate to be that guy, but it there’s no dash in the Firaxis games’ titles. heh).

However the system is also necessary for another important mechanical difference (and really, Xcom and Phoenix Point are not very similar in terms of mechanics): if you spot an enemy while moving your movement stops immediately, allowing you to make a tactical adjustment to whatever you were doing. And no pods, thank RNGesus.

The only video I’ve watched of FP so far was pretty amazing. I can’t wait.

You do know about Ctrl+Click waypoints in XCOM2 right?

I was citing the original, hence “XCOM” and not “XCOM 2”. I realize people are tossing around “xcom” to refer to the Firaxis franchise (and I did it a few sentences later). But that was a first game reference.

I mentioned it because I played over 400 hours before I discovered it. :)

Holy shit!

http://fampz.abroaderperspect.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Mind-Blown-Kramer.gif

LoL, well I don’t recall them advertising it and I think a lot of people missed it. And it was one of those things that a lot of people complained about in the first (which would make you think they would want to get the message out).

Here’s Scott Manley (he does a lot of Kerbal and space related videos) playing through a mission in the backer build.

Looks great so far!

Has any environment other than brown mud been seen yet?

There have been only 2 gameplay videos and both have taken place in base type locations. So it’s kind of hard to judge what else there may be.

Guess it’s just as well I was holding off downloading it, I’m tied up with Battletech so much I just can’t pull away…

That said, I do very much want to check this out, so looking forward to hearing what your first impressions are if you persevere downloading. ;)

Must…wait…for full…release…

That’s weird becase there are no snakemen in XCOM, they are in XCOM 2. ;P

It had thin men, the snakemen precursors. They spit poison.

I was just trying to be pedantic :)

awesome.

That’s great to hear because that’s pretty much what I was hoping for too.

Did you ever get it and what do you think?

haha, you’re right, there it was all along, that sounds great, I loved the original xcom. I’ve also gotten sucked into battletech so bad it’s all i’m playing right now, when that fever wears off a bit I plan to download this and take a look myself.