Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

Lol.

You clearly have read and watched more than myself.

Backer build #2 is out, I’ve not downloaded it to check it out yet, but here’s a stream showing play through of current state: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNhzKCbtxFg

Looking really good. This is a 2019 release right? It is , I saw it mentioned a few posts up.

Yeah, it was previously coming out later this year but they pushed it back at one point semi recently.

I’m staying away from the backer builds, just occasionally checking in to see how things look (e.g. streams and whatnot).

For the 2 or 3 people who join me in caring, the Linux version is cancelled at the moment, seems like it’s the 8th this year. I was going to wait a long while due to backlog, but this is sadly one more reason to avoid Kickstarter.

I’m very interested in this game. I love the squad level tactical play.

The odd thing is that as much as I like the strategic layer, I worry that it presents me with options early on and if I don’t make the right choices, it means I’m doomed in the long run. I don’t want to play a game and invest 40+ hours into it and realize near the end that my choices early on meant I was never going to win.

I’m trying to remember if, in original X-Com there was a warning before funding got pulled. So the monthly report would come up and the game would identify countries who were less than please with the lack of XCom activity over their area, giving the player a chance to dedicate the resources to potentially establishing a base in that region to turn things around.

Right, but that restriction was pretty easily overcome by setting up an engineering factory and just churning out laser rifles. Hopefully, the mechanic in Phoenix Point is a little more like the new X-Com rather than the original.

Well, there are more than a few people I suspect, especially those among us who were present when PC gaming got started who actually prefer the original, who would like to see this game by the original creator stick more to the design path of the original, only perhaps lifting a few of the better pieces the new two came up with.

That’s certainly why I kickstarted it…

That trailer worries me. The boss looks very powerful and if the aliens have upgrades, they looked difficult to kill. And in most of these games, your troops are typically puny, one shot will get them killed. How are they going to stand up against an alien that needed multiple shots to die? Sometimes, I just wanted the simplicity of the original.

There are quiet a few gameplay videos out (from earlier). Your troops are pretty tough, and have armor, so many shots against them may do no damage. Shots against enemies may also do no damage unless you aim shots well (e.g. front shields). Soldiers have significant numbers of options based on roles, and consumables like rockets, ammo, medkits can be replenished from crates on the map. And you can take over, drive, shoot vehicle mounted weapons. It’s more like mid to late game XCOM2 than old isometric XCOMs.

That’s the problem. I want to be able to do cool John Woo stuff like diving for cover and then one shot kill (or miss) and feeling a instant wave of victory. I don’t want detailed body parts tactical shooting, continuous fire (over a few rounds) from the same cover.

But because it’s Julian Gollop, it’s Day One for me.

In case anyone’s interested, this is a stream of a slightly earlier version than backer build 3, by Snapshot’s community manager. Seems pretty awesome.

Nice… I wouldn’t mind a dollop of gollop

And you expect this from a turn-based game?

Might be pining for the VATS.

For a split second I thought this thread was about Joaquin Phoenix and Julian Gollop collaborating on a future game.

Yes, at least in my mind. And that’s how good the first XCom was. The simplicity of the game forced the imagination to be on high gear and every action my troops took were worthy of a John Woo choreography!

Commodus - Ancient Rome tactical rpg

Gameplay from yesterday of backer build 3 with the start of a strategic layer. Looks great so far.