Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

Also reflections in 3d games weren’t hard – old 3d games just had limited polygons and couldn’t render you very well, or didn’t even bother creating a model for your avatar. This isn’t what Ray Tracing is about. Ray Tracing is about a new model of lighting that is far more natural than what we’ve had so far. The old rasterization model approximates lighting and then adds shaders to make it look realistic. Ray tracing is basically the same process that lights up real objects in the real world.

Makin’ crabcakes!

Stuff like this makes me appreciate the freeaim sooooo much. Even if, uhm, they were all bleeding so heavily they’d likely have all died on their turn anyway. But it was cool, damn it.

Harry Shum Jr. and Racaccoonie would be proud of your shellfish dicing skills!

-Tom

Overwatchin’

Overwatchin’ agai…aaarrRRRGGGHHH NOPE NOPE (Seriously! I don’t remember Scyllas doing this?!)

Perhaps Michael Myers will be proud of my bandit dicing skills! (Cyborg melee build is a tad powerful)

Holy shit! It wasn’t until fairly late on that I got Jericho onside so I was mostly fancy pants tech and mutants. That’s amazingly OP though.

Anyway, stop it, you’ll make me reinstall and start again.

I’m new to the game, but I guess I see the wisdom of this advice. After finishing the first three tutorial missions, I repaired my aircraft and was encouraged to explore a site. That turned out to be a scavenger mission.

It seemed impossible to scavenge anything! I landed and found myself immediately besieged by a half-dozen mutants. The nearest crate was a couple buildings away. After 3-4 turns of combat, the tutorial popups started encouraging me to stop looting and head for the exit zone. Well, I hadn’t done any looting at all!

Is there ever a reason to do a scavenger mission?

Scavenger missions are essential on the tougher difficulties where you get a lot less resources. Vehicles make them much easier though - they have lots of movement, can carry a lot of resource boxes (without slowing down) and your team can ride in 'em, pop out, shoot (or loot), then go back inside - 2APs to leave but going back in is free!

This is part of the latest Humble Bundle, the Year One Edition.

Yeah, what Rich suggested over two years ago definitely doesn’t apply to the game now. Scavenger missions are a big part of your early economy. I even suspect they exist as a way to push players into using vehicles, because as @fox.ferro noted, they’re the ideal mission type to show off how vehicles are helpful.

If you’re having trouble with a scavenger mission, remember that it’s not going anywhere! You don’t have to play them as soon as you discover them! You can wait to heal up your soldiers, or make sure they’re rested, or even just wait for specific time of day (nighttime if you want to try to stealth it, otherwise probably daytime for increased visibility and cover fire). You can even just leave them for a rainy day. But I wouldn’t recommend skipping them, since they’re one of the game’s ways of making sure you can buy the stuff you need.

-Tom

Ah okay, I’m glad I asked! I’m glad to know that scavenger missions don’t poof. And I didn’t realize they were important for the early-game economy. The mission I just did was exciting — I just didn’t do any scavenging.

Actually, this whole game is exciting. The mutants are scary and challenging opponents, at least for me, playing on the normal difficulty level. I love the free-aim mode, coupled with the disabling mechanic. I use it for every shot. Also, so far there haven’t been any timed missions. I’m sure they’re coming, and I don’t mind them in principle, but I need time to improve my gameplay first.

Other than a sorta-caveat for attrition, there are no timed missions in Phoenix Point (I assume you mean on the tactical level rather than strategic).

Yeah, I was struggling to think whether we could reassure @spock or not, but I’m not recalling any missions with time limits. There are certainly some that apply time pressure – for instance, spawning infinitely until you exfiltrate is fairly common – but I can’t remember anything with a timed fail state.

-Tom

And thank god for that. I have huge admiration for the XCOM/ XCOM2 games…the repeated timed missions were one thing that lost luster quickly.

Yep, I took an indefinite break from XCom2 after one too many timed missions. I don’t mind one occasionally, and I like the pressure of mutant reinforcements in Phoenix Point, but XCom2 had too steady a diet of them. I don’t recall them being such an issue in XCom1, which I finished.

I don’t remember the timed missions being that bad in XCOM 2, unless you never reloaded a save, of course. :D

The timed missions that did drive me a bit nuts were the XCOM 1 Enemy Within ones with the expiring MELD canisters.

If a game is going to have a time limit, then do it that way, as a ‘soft’ limit caused by spawning enemies, is my favorite way to do it.

I’m feeling pretty dumb for asking this… But how do I actually kill the Behemoth? I’ve researched and built the special manticore but am not seeing anything pop up for it and can’t seem to target it on the globe. It’s currently just floating around trashing things as per ushe. Mocking me.

That’s because they specifically added them in XCOM 2 to try to make it so that slow and methodical map clearing wasn’t the optimal way to play.

I’m feeling pretty dumb for replying this, but…I don’t know. I’m not sure if anyone here has played through a full game with all the DLC?

You might have to be our Lewis and Clark, @fox.ferro. :) Good luck!

-Tom

Yeah, I can’t answer, because I haven’t done it. I’m in a game now with all the DLC, but it’s not looking very favorable. It seems likely I’ll be restarting soon.

I did see some google search hits for your question from people who apparently are a lot better at the game than me.