Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

Unless they were from Dune using personal shields?

Yep, that’s what irks me the most. Not that folk found ways to break the game, that’s bound to happen, but that there could be such a simple fix to solve it and the devs choose not to bother. Does the game support mods yet?

Is your claim that Phoenix Point is broken because a dedicated melee build can one-shot an enemy? That strikes me as a specious definition of “broken”.

But perhaps I’m misunderstanding the claim. It is difficult to keep track of all the claims about Phoenix Point being broken from people in this thread who haven’t even played it. :)

-Tom

I’ve had this game forever, and have tinkered a bit over the years, but never really played it. Waiting for ‘1.0’, waiting for all DLC to be done, waiting for patches, just the usual reasons. :)

But now I finally started playing and it’s really quite good. I’ve mostly only played through the tutorial so far as a refresher, now ready to start a ‘proper’ game.

DLC-wise I’m thinking for a first real game I might disable the extra mechanics and difficulty of Corrupted Horizons and Festering Skies (and keep everything else on), what do you guys think about that?

There’s only one gameplay question I have so far… do I deal with Mist Sentinels in the early scavenger missions, or not bother? Does that mist spread over the whole tactical map if unchecked?

I killed one, and the mist doesn’t dissipate anyway. Threw a grenade in and it cleared a bit, but not enough for me to bother wasting future grenades on it. Is ‘steering clear’ a good enough strategy for these enemies early on? :)

It will certainly make the strategic layer less busy!

It does not. It will have a limited range. I’m not sure if you’re supposed to know this yet – the actual gameplay effect of mist might be locked behind research – but here’s what mist does, spoilered if you’d rather discover it yourself.

Mist causes a morale hit to any soldiers who end a turn there. It also gives the aliens “hivemind” awareness of that soldier’s location. So, thematically, it’s scary and the aliens can see you when you’re in there!

I believe it is permanent for the mission unless you use explosives to clear it. And, yes, steering clear is usually sufficient. Sometimes, depending on if the mission is going well, you can just freely walk through mist and not care about the consequences.

-Tom

Cheers, that helps!

The spoilered mist info there was actually in the tutorial when I first encountered the Sentinel. It also said it restores (boosts maybe?) enemy willpower when they’re in it.

I kill the Misters if convenient, but they are a low priority target. Usually there are a lot more dangerous dudes running around.

I guess they are still worth XP hey? Gotta get someback back for the cost of those bullets!

Ah, I’d forgotten that one! Thanks for the reminder!

Actually, no. One of the distinctive things about Phoenix Point that I wish were made clearer to players is how XP is earned. There’s a lump sum you get per mission, divided among your survivors based on their performance. Unless there’s some special mission requirement, that sum has nothing to do with the number of kills you get.

In other words, you’re NOT getting XP for killing units in Phoenix Point. You’re only getting it for accomplishing the mission.

-Tom

Ahhh! It does mention the lump sum and how it’s split amongst the squad based on performance, but not what ‘performance’ actually means.

I just assumed it was based on kills, because what else could it be based on? I guess for scavenging missions it could be how much stuff each soldier is carrying on evac.

Ok here’s another couple… I have 10 starting SP, should I boost some stats or save it?
What are good early stats to get up?

I personally would use it. I generally like to boost movement early on, usually movement/ strength for the Heavies.

One shotting an enemy is perfectly fine, my issue is that it is possible for 1 soldier on 1 turn to wipe out an entire nest (thus dozens of badddies) via an endless supply of AP. The most basic of caps on something like this (on the AI too if they’re allowed such an abuse) would make a huge difference.

Having not played it in quite a while, I can only hope this is not abusable as it looks on paper, it might be only a very rare occasion with everything needing to be set up perfectly, in which something this silly can occur.

Great, thanks! Seems the very first spend can only be strength or willpower, as speed is too expensive.

edit: What are these white glows? There was one in a tutorial mission, but nothing seemed to be there.

If you move to those spaces, your soldier will receive a willpower boost. I believe it’s +3.

Ah yeah I recall a popup mentioning that in an earlier game, though I didn’t notice the white glow on that occasion.

One more and I’m getting back to it… overwatch and cover. Will my guys step out of high cover to take a shot? Based on the cone, it sometimes looks like they might just shoot the wall.

The high cover stuff is kind of situational, in my experience. They should take the shot on overwatch, but you run the risk of shooting into the wall, or at least some shots being ineffective.

We needed some counter to the way they move slightly when we manually aim.

Sorry guys! :)

1. There’s a big orange circle around some enemies when I highlight them, what is this? Move range? I note the Arthrons have this, but Stranglers don’t seem to.
  2. What does it mean when enemies ‘alert’? If one enemy alerts, does that mean they all know where that spotted unit is?
  3. I see a temporary ‘alert’ text indicator on enemy when they spot me, but it doesn’t seem to be something that I can check anywhere after that. Any way to do this? Does it even matter?

edit: I think 1 might be related to Perception, and the reason I don’t see the circle for Stranglers is that theirs is 3 times higher than Arthrons, so it basically always covers past the entire map!

Again, I have never seen this and I have no idea why it’s “your issue”, since you don’t seem to know much about the game. From where I’m sitting, it sounds like you’re railing against something that doesn’t exist in a game you’ve never played. You and a certain other poster should start a club!

-Tom

Detection range! You have discovered how they eventually surface the stealth system so players could better interact with it. From the wiki:

You probably won’t be able to fully take advantage of it until you’re deeper in the tech tree, but it’s a good time to notice how it varies by whom you select and time of day.

As for alerts, I’d have to look this up on the wiki to answer your specific questions. But I’m pretty sure Phoenix Point has limited awareness, so that some aliens can be alerted, while others are still unawares.

EDIT: Ah, yes, just a few lines below the bit about detection:

-Tom