Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

Final update out on steam - workshop support, a demo and 45% discount on everything. I have this on Epic but that’s a good deal to have the complete version on steam with workshop.

Sorry if answered ages ago, but as I recall you can eventually have multiple squads sent out all over the world, right? Does the game let you bring more than 1 full squad into a particularly tough mission?

Yep, believe so.

That’s cool.

Sorry to jump in and ask a silly question, but is the complete edition really complete? If I get that on Steam is it all the stuff for Phoenix Point? Like, nothing is still lingering on Epic? I noticed the Steam one isn’t called Year One edition so I got worried. I’ve been curious to check it out as Tom and others have done a solid job of selling it’s departure from Enemy Unknown over the years. Maybe now is the time.

The Steam version IS called Year One Edition. I bought it during the recent sale. There was no Complete Edition then, and if I want to complete the Year One, I had to purchase the Expansion Pass, which adds 3 more DLCs.

I’ve been playing Phoenix Point for a week or so, my first experience of the game.

While it’s buggy and awkward and clumsy in various respects, it’s vastly deeper and more interesting than the recent XCOMs. I can see how it will get old after a while, though, but so it goes.

Yes, but each mission has a slot cap for how many soldiers/vehicles can be brought into a mission. As I recall, that cap is 8, with each soldier taking one slot and vehicles taking more.

Just did it last night:

1. Land the first plane with troops at the mission site, but do NOT hit the “Deploy Squad” the mission when it’s time to deploy the troops. You’ll return to the Geoscape.
  2. Bring in ANOTHER plane with troops to the site.
  3. Once both planes are located at the mission site, starting the mission will allow you to select which 10 “points” of all of the troops/vehicles available you want to deploy to that battle.

SamF7

The points must be variable, then.

most are 8, the final mission is 10, but other special mission may be higher as well. I think base defense has no limit

Thanks @David2! Sorry for the late reply. Thought I had already done so.

I wasn’t sure of where to put this. A entire retrospective of the xcom series

And now a video about Phoenix Point itself that I liked

I finally got around to trying this one (after picking it up in a Humble Monthly eons ago). I’m only a few hours in but enjoying it, which immediately raises the DLC question. So, is the DLC worth getting? Is it good to have on a first (possibly only? possibly not) play through? Anything to specifically avoid? Your help is appreciated!

I’d ignore the DLC for your first playthrough. I finished the base game, but once I got the DLC it became too much “busy work” and I couldn’t finish a game.

Each DLC adds additional missions, enemy types, etc. and it all becomes too much IMHO. Managing aircraft and the “Festering Skies” events, the extra missions and resource collection of “Legacy of the Ancients”, the corruption missions from “Corrupted Horizons”, etc. All interesting for the first time, but get annoying very quickly and stop you from progressing the main quest. The only thing that would make things worse would be Central from XCOM popping up and reminding you of them ;)

If you are a fan of XCOM Long War mod then the DLC is perfect for you as they increase everything you need to do by a factor of four.

Festering skies is a good addition in my opinion, the rest is clutter to your early playthroughs.

Living Weapons

• Pretty harmless. A few bonus missions for a unique suit of armor, assault rifle and machine gun.

Blood and Titanium

• Adds Cyborgs and some pretty nasty fights. You might want to avoid that on the first run

Legacy of the Ancients

• Adds some rather strong mid-to-late game weapons and some super annoying boss fights. Probably not a good idea for a first run.

Festering Skies

• Air Combat, airplane destruction, and extra stress. Avoid for the first time, this one makes the game a lot harder.

Corrupted Horizons

• Adds one super annoying enemy type and mutoid soldiers, which can be leveled up by spending mutagen instead of the regular way. Also probably not a good idea for the first run.

Kaos Engines

• A few missions that have you stealing cars, in exchange for some wonky weapons and much improved vehicle customization. Pretty useful.

Also, the game has an official wiki on wiki.phoenixpoint.com that is NOT hosted by fextralive. Highly recommended if you need to check something.

Agree with Thorne’s assessment about DLCs. Kaos Engines is good, useful and fun.

Would also caution you @vinraith that one of the big issues with the game in general is how much busywork accrues towards the late game. You might find yourself just wanting to get to the next story mission but have to put out a dozen fires beforehand. In my opinion, this is the game’s biggest fault. My humble advice is to steel yourself against a completionist defense attitude and just allow some events to pass, (and some people and places to perish), in the interest of getting to the end.

Oh, while we’re at tips…it’s nearly impossible to be friendly with all 3 human factions. The most common approach is to buddy up with one faction and use the other 2 for supply raids, target practice and nab their aircraft while you’re at it.

You can also steal their research, which quite frequently is more effective than waiting for them to become friendly enough to fork it over in the regular way.

It’s a bit counterintuitive with all the “save humanity from the evil mutated alien seafood” kibosh, but it’s a much more efficient approach.