Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

Yes, at the start there’s little reason to use them. But the weaponry and specialization options make them much better later.

Not really. You could base it on the main questline, but IMHO when exploration becomes very difficult because you’re busy responding to issues everywhere is the mid-game struggle point.

Heavy Hybrids are good for the jump pack and bash.

This thread makes me want to play again.

They get the AoE shout that reduces enemy action points at level 3(?) which is incredibly useful when faced with a lot of enemies. Get them an MG to shred armour as soon as you can and as remarked above with the bash they become very effective. Bash is a very effective way of getting rid of those pesky worms early game, just use a medpack or somesuch for it.

I personally don’t spend the XP points on the level 4 multiclass very often when they get to that point, spending them on attributes is much more effective imho. Once you have the abilities you need for each class and get their attributes close to the max then it’s time to dive into multiclassing imho…

one word, grenade launcher (yes, I know that’s two). Once you get those, you’ll always want a heavy.

Yeah, my heavy does more damage with the grenade launcher than anyone else in the squad. Their direct damage weapons are inferior, however and result in the heavy taking a lot of damage due to their short range. The hellfire cannon or whatever it’s called does have its place, but without the grenade launcher they’d be the weakest class.

As one gets later in the campaign and enemies with lots of armor become an issue, the value of explosives goes up, too.

If I remember correctly, there is a skill in the heavy path that allows one to fire two grenades per turn at greatly extended range for a high will point cost (5, maybe?). This is one of the best skills in the game and makes WP very important on a heavy.

Absolutely, big bang or whatever it’s called is the best skill in the game. It not only allows two launches, but significantly increases range and accuracy. But you get to level 5 fairly early on with your first squad, so it’s still an early-middle game thing.

Since grenades are long range and the heavy has their rocket boots or whatever, they don’t need speed to speak of either (though eventually everyone will max their stats) so they can focus on willpower early.

Eventually when the heavy mounts a rocket launcher they can even do three explosive attacks per round.

Right after I posted I played a scavenge mission with my Heavy that has the grenade launcher, and before it started I upgraded her to Boom Blast and…whoa! She was lethal from a distance, taking out sirens and restoring her Will Points with each crate opened. Rinse/repeat.

I still don’t love the class, but maybe I’ll outfit my others with a GL as well.

My fears of a shallow Strategic side of the game, akin to XCOM, were unfounded. The geoscape is awesome. I’m so much happier building up little dudes to die when I’m surrounded by this kind of depth.

I’m really glad you’re enjoying Phoenix Point and it’s great hearing your progress too!

This game is so good. I just signed up for Game Pass after 18 months, due to some other supposedly popular and good game coming out, but who cares about that - Phoenix Point.

On Game Pass I don’t have access to the DLC. I’m sure it’s covered upthread, but are the DLC worthwhile for a first playthrough?

I see the discussion of Heavy with grenade launcher; is Heavy with melee also a good path for the class? I can recruit and axe wielder but can’t recall if they’re that good later in the game.

It was Phoenix Point that made me sign up for GP too. That and State of Decay 2. Ridiculous value.

Personally I hate melee in games with guns. It’s a recipe for taking damage, no matter how good the melee weapon damage may be. Tactical combat game designers often don’t seem to understand how important range is in their own games.

I had a berserker class later in the game and she was a monster if you could get her in close. I’m sure there was some downright busted perks that paired well with her too. The hybrid class system is one of my favourite things in Phoenix Point because you can get some really nice synergies going on.

There are more than a couple of ways to close the distance and a Berserker can wreck anything in the game. Also, if you want to capture, which is a huge resource advantage you need to get familiar with how to maximize melee. Even if it’s just equipping a Neurazer on your Assault Hybrids and Dashing in.

Rangers in XCOM2 say “errr hello, have you seen me operate?”

Ha, for me the “melee” types are spiderbots.

I know very little of this melee you speak. I have one Beserker on the squad and after a rough encounter getting up close, he’s my healer (helps to have that perk) and the guy who rescues all the civilians. I need to look into melee.

My only Pandoran capture came from an Aspida. I need to look into capturing. I have’t multi-classed. Even though I believe my entire squad is eligible now. I need to try multi-classing.

There’s a lot going on here. And I don’t have any DLCs enabled (expect alien tech). I’m sure I’ll turn on Festering Skies next time as I want to rename my aircraft (and can’t without it).

Speaking of next time, is the process of losing a campaign particularly clear? Is it a super slow burn? I am still not too far into it - I think - and I see the human population dwindling, but still around 70. I’m just curious if I should continue my current plan of playing it out until I officially lose, which I’m sure is inevitable given some early poor choices. Or if that can be forever from now (in game time).

If there are no DLC’s I think you can only lose if you totally ignore the encroaching mist and don’t progress the main quest at all. As long as you are reasonably spending your time on a mix even if you are getting taken over you should be able to rush the main quest.

You’ll find they’re basically one and the same. And when you do look into melee, be sure to take into account the way heavies can use jump jets to get around. Early game doesn’t afford many opportunities for melee, but the jump jet + punch combo is definitely one of them!

It will be such a slow burn that you really don’t need to worry about it. The point you’re at is like a child asking about death: there’s a lot to explain, but no hurry for you to learn any of it. : )