Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

You’re new to the internet I see.

Just realised Playnite doesn’t cover the Windows Store. I suppose if you’re going to neglect one, that would be the one…

Sure, ten bucks is not insignificant at this level. But the comparison is about cost overall, including convenience. Maybe ten dollars off is meaningful enough to you to justify having yet another store front to deal with. Maybe it’s not to someone else. You pay in different coins, but you always pay.

Scott you know I like simplicity and Steam is simplicity … lite it up and you hope you are seeing everything new that comes out.

But I have to admit it is very unlikely this competition beginning to swell in the online purchase game industry (generally) vs. Steam (the almost-monopoly) can hurt us (the consumer). My thinking now is starting to change: Maybe I need an epic pw and id so I can now start getting an exclusive if I want.

This development today has started to turn me back to Capitalism (vs. Monopoly). I will miss monopoly though…

One positive coming out of this is Xenonauts 2 just received an amazing marketing campaign for free on the Phoenix Point subreddit.

I bought Fortnite (Save the World) and have since lost access to the email I used to sign up for an account there. For a long time you couldn’t change your account info at all. When a few months back they finally got that “working” I attempted to change my email on the account to one that I use. Their software insisted on sending a confirmation to my old email address (the one I lost access to). So I contacted their Support. We spent about a month going back and forth, with me explaining the situation, and them sending emails to my dead address for confirmation, and me explaining that I had contacted them because that address no longer worked, and them sending another confirmation mail to the dead address until I finally gave up.
The likelihood of me giving them any more money is very slim indeed.

Sounds good, thanks for posting this!

I mean, I did - I go where the games are.

I just prefer Steam’s QoL stuff over all the other store fronts out there.

Hey man that sucks.

I just log into Epic using google.

I make a point of never using google for anything, and most certainly not for logins. Every single place I go has a unique insanely long password that 1password keeps track of.

Odds of me every creating an account for Epic are less than zero.

I use google log in for most things.

It’s pretty easy.

Some people use facebook login.

There’s also that disqus thing across several forums…

It neatly sidesteps what seems increasingly obviously Epic’s epic ineptness regarding certain customer facing issues we take for granted.

Regardless of what one thinks of Epic, this is just being shitty to your backers:

(From Reddit)

I wasn’t a backer, but I’ve gone from “interested in this game” to “wouldn’t do business with these people if they paid me” as a result of this.

Also, way to make it harder for every subsequent Kickstarter out there by showing just how bad faith some of them can be (again).

There needs to be a fundamental change in kickstarter. 50% up front, 50% on delivery. Otherwise devs take the money from backers for granted, and the backers have no say. They made a business decision that was good for the company with no regard for what the backers think. Who’s to say they won’t do it again?

Considering the dumptruck full of cash that Epic apparently backed onto Gollop’s lawn, it’s pretty much a given that this is going to keep happening if nothing is done about it.

Kickstart your game to get it made, making whatever promises get people to click the button, and then let Epic pay you more than the value of your Kickstarter for exclusivity. Profit!

That’s literally antithetical to the idea of kickstarter. If you are treating it like a preorder service you should stop. There are no guarantees. You back a project because you believe in the concept and the creator and trust them to make a good faith effort. Many projects would fail if they did not get the full amount up front. It’s always a leap of faith, and sometimes it’s not going to work out exactly like you hoped, but that’s the risk you willingly accepted.

Even if they need to raise more to make up for it, having some money on delivery means the backers have some say. I don’t think it’s antithetical at all – I think it’s a huge improvement on the current model. It doesn’t even need to be 50/50 – it can be 80/20, and the 20 can be delivered to the dev assuming any minimal product is delivered so long as the backers don’t decide to back out.

That’s pretty much what any preorder means, whatever the marketing-speak is. Regardless, if you want people to stop treating it like that the same, say goodbye to kickstarter and fig.

We have to remember kickstarter was born as a pure donation system. The idea of putting rewards, and then putting the product itself as a reward (so you are really buying a product, not doing a donation to help an idea) came later.

And I think the evolution, based on what worked and what didn’t, makes sense. It’s ok if the product doesn’t work out – the last bit of money just won’t be delivered. It’s a psychological incentive to keep things aligned with the way they were presented.

I’ll assume you’re aware of why using google or facebook for logins is a bad idea and aren’t concerned about the risks involved and leave it at that.