Phoenix Wright

Is it as good as this commercial leads me to believe?

I didn’t bother watching the commercial, but I’m pretty confident in saying that it’s at least that good, if not better.

Seriously, it’s one of the best games on the DS. Also, it seems to be rare. Buy it if you can find it.

I just started playing it this week. It’s like a strange adventure game from the future. I give it thumbs up, but I can imagine that it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea.

I played through 3 cases and most of the 4th before I quit. I loved most things about the game but eventually it grew stale. I felt like I was reading, then reading, then reading some more. The video is not accurate - there’s no voice over - just text and lots of it.

The gameplay is good at times and at other times it’s… more reading. What I played was a solid B or B+ and I hope for a sequel they refine the gameplay a bit.

Definitely buy it if you see it. I traded my copy to someone but my local Gamestop has one copy just sitting there and it’s pretty tempting to pick it up.

So what we’re saying is, this game will really appeal to a certain faction of Morrowind players.

Morrowind doesn’t enter into it, really. This is a game that’s on a cartridge for a portable, not multiple CDs for a PC. Phoenix Wright doesn’t just plop mounds of static text on the screen either, it’s dialogue with animation, also broken up with frequent interactive sequences.

But to answer the question, the game is almost exactly like that TGS trailer. It and Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! were my favorite DS games last year. They have similar personalities-- irreverent yet enthusiastic. It’s self-aware melodrama done properly-- cartoon characters in cartoon (but humanistic) situations, executed with lots of craft and soul.

Warning and Gallant are both right. It has no replay value, so you’ll be tempted to rent, but it’s a bitch to slog through every episode one after the other. It’s got a lot of quirk and charm, but I can’t help but think it’d be better if I played an episoide, when away for a while, and then came back to play more. From what I’m seeing, it’ll hold its value should you be a re-seller.

Oh, and don’t think you’ll learn anything about any actual law(s). It’s in its own little universe.

Look, we once had a dedicated Phoenix Wright thread!

Just finished the game. Very enjoyable overall, but the writers’ reach seemed to exceed their grasp in the last episode. Some contradictions were left unresolved… or were they?

----- SPOILERS BELOW -----

The final testimony of Angel Starr doesn’t fit the facts. She says she observed the “murder” from the security station, then spent five minutes running around. Having arrived in B block, she snapped the photo showing Lana opening the trunk. But if Lana was only just opening the trunk at this point, there could have been nothing to induce Angel to run down to the parking lot in the first place!

Moreover, unless Lana actually dragged the body out of the trunk and propped it upright while stabbing it, there’s no way Angel could have seen anything from any perspective. In all likelihood the body was packed in the trunk the whole time, with Lana leaning over it and obscuring the view. So Angel’s testimony of “seeing Lana stab the victim” must have been completely made up.

Lana’s motivation seems bizarre as well. I can see that she panicked at the SL-9 scene and manipulated evidence to shift all blame away from Ema and onto the serial killer. I can also see that she’d continue to “help out” Chief Gant so as not to damage her career. But if she confessed to a murder she didn’t commit her career would be over anyway… so why would she do that? As a detective and prosecutor she knows perfectly well that Ema has nothing to fear, after all. I suppose this one can be blamed on cartoon sentimentality, though…

But the entire game is like that – half the time, the ‘gameplay’ is just guessing whatever completely lunatic logic jump the writer’s had in mind. The rest of the time, it’s desperately thumbing the A key. I find the game rather relaxing to play, but not very fun.

The one thing I do love? How Phoenix’s only legal strategy is just to blunder around blaming other people for his clients’ crimes… usually the witness. He

Sure the entire game is hilarious from a plausibility viewpoint, but except in the final episode I didn’t notice any obvious errors in the internal logic of the story.

And of course the witness is always guilty. Have you never watched any courtroom dramas? Duh!

Lunatic logic? Sure all the crimes are weird, but all the contradictions you were supposed to find made a lot of sense. When where was that not a clear problem with how the case was laid out? Even when you didn’t have all the info, the game would help you with hints to lay out Phoenix’s thoughts.

If you’re thinking the court laws, the game takes place about 10 years or so in the future with the made-up court laws. However, a lot of it is also based on some the ridiculous things that go on in the Japanese criminal law system, like you’re 99% guilty if you’re the most likely suspect and the entire prosecution is after you and the characterization of the judge is spot on. So it’s half-way made-up and a half-way ridicule of our court system.

But if you’re thinking the actual evidence and the way the cases turned out, I’ve heard some people make this criticism before, but it doesn’t make any sense. All the crimes and their eventual true happenings make a great deal of sense in the end.

-Kitsune

I had Amazon want orders in US and CDN for new and used on this title since maybe Sept. till their systems gave up and cancelled them. I lucked out a few weeks ago and saw a single new copy at EB. I figured the title wasn’t being distributed till I saw some news to the contrary. I was soooo happy.

As the game goes, it’s innovative and quirky like “Lost in Blue” and “Trauma Center” and “Trace Memory”. Yeah, parts are predictable (as most games are), but the whole approach is different enough from anything else I’m familiar with that kept me going. And yeah, I’d buy the sequel.

It’s coming out in another rerelease this August, so it will be less rare then. Amazon will start having it again in early September for $30; this is the cheapest I’ve seen it, even in the projected rerelease.

I haven’t played it. In fact, I don’t own a DS, and I won’t until tomorrow (buying it used for stock price, coming with Meteos, Mario Kart, Sonic Rush, and Nanostray) but I’m definitely going to pick it up when it comes out again (if waiting means I can pay $30 instead of over $40, I can wait a month or so).

Another opinion.

Is there a chance that trama center will be re released as well?

I would say the chances are slim, but at least the Wii version is coming.

See, this is where experience in the game comes in handy. In the first case, chances are you’ve either figured it out, or you’re clicking blindly, shouting “Hold It!” at everything the witness says, desperately trying to find some small contradiction.

But when you get further, you start to remember all the facts about the case, look through your evidence, and see what clashes, or what looks suspicious, then something clicks and you’re like “A-HA!” and you shout HOLD IT into your
DS mic and feel generally awesome. Unless of course, you’re in the company of other people, at which point you begin to notice all the badly stifled laughter.

Nope, everything holds up, as I will explain to you next. Obviously there are even more spoilers involved in this so don’t read if you’re not familiar with case 5.

----- SPOILERS BELOW -----

The final testimony of Angel Starr doesn’t fit the facts. She says she observed the “murder” from the security station, then spent five minutes running around. Having arrived in B block, she snapped the photo showing Lana opening the trunk. But if Lana was only just opening the trunk at this point, there could have been nothing to induce Angel to run down to the parking lot in the first place!

I don’t blame you for getting confused, it takes a good memory and solving the entire case pretty quickly in real life time to get all the facts straight, but here goes.

She did observe the “murder” from the security station and then run there to apprehend. Her guess is that it took five minutes, so it’s not written fact that it did take five minutes. The only fact is that Lana began her job of hiding the evidence after 5:12 and the phonecall to Ema was around 5:18 and in that space of time Angel saw something and then ran to the scene and twisted the cellphone out of her hand. So whether it was four minutes or six minutes, whichever one is closest we don’t know.

In either case, it wasn’t a photo of Lana opening the trunk, way later on in the trial if you remember they prove it was a photo of her in the action of removing the evidence for Gant. It’s essentially unknowable exactly what Lana was doing at that point, but she wasn’t OPENING the trunk because it had already been opened and that point was proved at that junction in the trial.

So the trunk had already open and if you remember, Lana said she saw the knife that was proof for the old case inside Tadashiki (the murder victim, I haven’t played the English version of this case and am just taking names from wherever I see them) and really hated that Gant had done that. So she took it out. Then she stabbed him with her own knife and hurt herself at the same time, not exactly be an expert knife handler. That’s why Angel mistook that she saw Lana stab him multiple times, the act of taking out one knife and inserting another from the security station looked that way, if you remember, she amends to exactly something like, “I’m pretty sure I saw her stab at least twice” and she sees the blood from LANA’s wound. If you remember she mistakes that as Tadashiki’s blood.

At this point that’s enough to know to run to the scene of the crime. So Angel is doing that. Meanwhile, Lana is trying to hid the old Crime SL-9 knife somewhere, as well as do something about that cut she got from using the knife. On top of that, she has two more predicaments, she had to unseat the body (which BTW, makes it look like its still living to Angel) and when she took the knife out, it didn’t go too well, with blood spurting out (probably not much more Tadashiki as he’s been dead for a while, but a lot from her wound and Lana did say she had to upright the body somehow to do this stuff with the knife). She’s trying to get all these problems fixed poste haste. It is around this time that Angel appears and takes the picture and what she is taking a picture of is Lana trying to close the trunk so she can call Ema, if you remember when you talk to Lana before the last day of the trial, she says she tried to close the trunk, but at that point Tadashiki’s corpse was kind of ill wedged in and it wouldn’t go, that’s when the mishap the shoe goes on and how she gets her blood on it as well.

So why is she trying to get Tadashiki’s corpse back into the car? Because she tries to call Ema so that she can the knife removed from the scene. That’s when Angel pops up and she’s driven to go behind the barrier to make the call, because she’s already been caught. Angel hops the fence. Lana finds out the the phone is not operating and tries the cellphone, but that’s when Angel twists it out of her arm and muffler is the only word she can get out. And this is when the altercation with the barrel and the water goes on a little after as well.

That’s how the scene went, but its not crystal clear after it is pretty much dropped because you need to combine with later case facts in order to get the whole story.

Lana’s motivation seems bizarre as well. I can see that she panicked at the SL-9 scene and manipulated evidence to shift all blame away from Ema and onto the serial killer.

She didn’t though, that was a lie to help Gant. Gant did it for her. Remember what she saw was the real crime that Gant committed but had to been out to be Ema’s, right? But the way you get to the evidence is when you see through her lies and find the truth that it wasn’t her who tampered with the evidence. Yeah, she knew about it and agreed to it, but it wasn’t she who did it herself.

I can also see that she’d continue to “help out” Chief Gant so as not to damage her career. But if she confessed to a murder she didn’t commit her career would be over anyway… so why would she do that? As a detective and prosecutor she knows perfectly well that Ema has nothing to fear, after all.

Um, she continued to do that for Ema, because Gant had created proof anytime he wanted that Ema committed the murder. She didn’t know of course about the extra stuff, but to her it looked like Ema did it, so she was protecting Ema.

Her mistake was in calling Ema on the cellphone first and thus connecting her to the current case so Ema gets involved, but the bigger mistake being that through that phone call Ema knew without a shadow of a doubt that Lana was innocent (Phoenix deducts this later on when the two are talking about it). She already knows that the current case is connected to the last case. So, there’s still a chance that the truth about Ema comes out. If she just keeps her mouth shut about everything, she can avoid pissing off Gant to reveal something and she can protect Ema no matter what gets unearthed about Case SL-9 and the current case. You’ll notice the shock that Ema receives when she find out its Aoikage (Blue Shadow?) case.

Understand?

-Kitsune

Goddamn, this is where me and Nintendo don’t agree on what a handheld should be. This game really sounds like something I’d like to check out, but I play my handhelds while commuting - if I have time to play at home, handhelds are far from my first choice. So I’m not going to play this at home, and there’s no way in hell I’m talking to any handheld device that isn’t a mobile phone while on the train, so that leaves me out.

Is there an alternative to using the mic?

Good point, that sounds plausible. Assuming that Lana could actually see these actions from her vantage point which I’m still not quite buying. But I don’t have a 3D model of the crime scene so I can’t prove it…

Lana did say she had to upright the body somehow to do this stuff with the knife […] if you remember when you talk to Lana before the last day of the trial, she says she tried to close the trunk, but at that point Tadashiki’s corpse was kind of ill wedged in and it wouldn’t go, that’s when the mishap the shoe goes on and how she gets her blood on it as well.

HOLD IT! Yeah, that would resolve this issue… but either I completely missed these lines or they were cut from the English version. I certainly don’t recall them.

Yeah, she knew about it and agreed to it, but it wasn’t she who did it herself.

You’re right, but that’s a minor point here.

Um, she continued to do that for Ema, because Gant had created proof anytime he wanted that Ema committed the murder.

Nope, she caused an accident in self-defense! That is explicitly stated in the English version, too. That’s my beef with this part of the story. No judge would pass a murder sentence for what happened there, as Lana would have known. Ema would be temporarily inconvenienced but she would never get a prison term or death sentence.