Phone number spoofing

I understand - but it means that you are giving permission for someone else’s phone number to be in their database. I am a little leery of that.

Yep. Well, you can pay for Nomorobo, it doesn’t need your contacts.

By “blocking spam calls”, do you mean sending them directly to voicemail, or something else?

Not so good IOS reviews.

At home we don’t. On my cell, it’s the phone that businesses, doctors, etc. usually get, and not all of them show up on caller ID. So I tend to answer it as I get so few calls on the cell, though often yeah I just cancel it.

Oddly enough, the septic service I use is right across the dirt road from me; their number is literally my home number + 11.

You can choose to either label these calls with “likely spam” or send them direct to VM. I send them direct to VM.

I use HiYa as well, it is fairly good at auto-blocking spam.

Might just be a vestige of my small town roots, but quite a few of my friends shared those with me back home. Obviously not anymore with the proliferation of cellphones and everyone carrying around the area code of the last time they switched providers, but yeah…

Clearly these spoofers are just targeting the sad townies I left behind in Tennessee!

…then again, given how many of them have been suckered into selling stupid bullshit like essential oils and tummy wraps, they probably make a great audience.

I’m using Whoscall which use crowd sourcing to identify spam caller. If I picked up a telemarketing call, I could report it that wayang it would benefit others in future.

Yeah Hiya does that too.

Just had someone dial me using callback because they had a missed call showing my number. They really need to solve this crap.

Yeah I had a bunch of people call me repeatedly and curse me out. The first time, I tried calmly explaining that I didn’t call them, that my number was spoofed. The second or third time I may have mentioned their mom was a whore, which didn’t seem to calm their ire but certainly entertained me.

Same. Multiple times now. Apparently people still don’t know you can spoof numbers.

Apparently the spoofing technology is getting around NoMoRobo now. I get way more obviously spoofed called that ring through than I was getting even 6 months ago. I’m about ready to just shut off my main line and go cell only.

I block any number not in my local area, that tries to call me that doesn’t leave a message on my cell.

Not sure that it helps a lot - thinking they just move to another number.

How did you know that??!

Not that there is anything wrong with that, it is an ancient and respectable profession.

It was more of an educated guess.