Picard show confirmed

The criticism is the volume density and the fact that they are all explicit callbacks (not just referential), not that the callbacks happened.

Off the top of my head, here were the things we physically saw in this episode (and I know I’m forgetting more):

• Voyager
  • Defiant
  • NX-01
  • NCC-1701-A
  • The Bird-of-Prey from Star Trek IV
  • Data
  • Lore
  • B-4
  • Lal
  • Moriarty
  • A tribble
  • James Kirk’s corpse

Every one of those things was on screen this episode.

Don’t get me wrong. There’s a part of me that really dug it! But it defied narrative credibility for all of these pieces of Star Trek history to be within an hour’s warp of each other.

Personally I’m of the opinion that fan service is something this show does well, and if it wants to do that instead of the many, many things it does poorly I say more power to it.

Yeah, in the end, it’s a dramatic story. The odds that one starship captain would be at the center of 85% of the universe-threatening stories of half a galaxy for decades are slim as well, but sometimes things are closer to allow a story to be told.

Your list of things all in one place is just fine with me.

I’m just wondering if James T Kirk’s corpse is just an easter egg or if Shatner’s going to surprise everyone with a last-episode surprise appearance, taking command of an OG Connie, and finally die a heroic death. Third time’s the charm!

Oh that would be astounding.

I suppose I did. I don’t even remember a drive section, but then again I wasn’t exactly a faithful viewer of Enterprise.

No, you’re right, there straight-up isn’t one (see the image with the purple nebula above). They appear to have added one with the refit. This raises some tech questions, really, because why would more advanced tech get bulkier? Then again, how was the original avoiding getting torn to bits by space debris without a deflector dish?

It’s almost as though Star Trek doesn’t stand up to this kind of analysis…

And on that day, Vinraith realized that every Enterprise was larger than its predecessor.

The deflector is in the front of the saucer

Ha, true, but in principle every new one seems designed (somewhat bafflingly) to carry more people. This is specifically making the engine-supporting part of the ship bigger. Not, of course, that any of this is really intended to make much sense.

Ah, OK. So yeah, every generation of ship gets massively less efficient. Neat.

Which is probably what’s driving it, yeah.

Of course, in that case, with increased size comes increased capacity. So far as we’ve seen the Federation doesn’t even have carriers, so it’s not an entirely sound analogy.

Now you’ve got me trying to find an equivalent historical size chart for cruisers, but I’m not having much luck. :)

And yes, I know the real reason is “big ships are cooler and more impressive” but now that I’ve started I’m compelled to keep going!

Best I can do is

Destroyers are a good example.

I can’t comprehend how this is confusing for you. More size = more capabilty. More diverse/advanced technology on board, more people to use it and keep it all running, more consumables, better, more spacious facilities for the crew, etc. Bigger engineering hull means less space taken up in the saucer by engineering functions.

Are you also baffled by SUVs being larger than Model Ts? Humvees larger than Jeeps? The ISS larger than Mir? iPhones now larger than iPhones then?

I can’t comprehend why you’re taking this seriously enough to evidently be angry about it.

“Bigger is always better” is a take, I suppose.

They absolutely are, and you can see there that they reach a sort of optimal operational size and stop growing.

I saw that one but couldn’t figure out if they were to scale because the print is illegibly small. I can’t imagine they are, since that’s leave many of the sailing vessels much larger than the modern ships. I don’t know a lot about naval history but that doesn’t seem right, does it?

I really enjoyed this weeks episode, Riker in action and taking some hits with a smile on his face!

The column of green bars lists the length in feet and is roughly to scale across all rows.

So yes, the Pennsylvania, for example, was bigger than roughly the size of Leahy class cruisers.

OK, it was worth going down this silly rabbit hole just to learn that. Thanks!

It’s like you “fans” don’t even spend your spare time browsing Memory Alpha. Sheesh.

The engineering section addition allowed for a bigger warp drive intermix chamber and a more effective deflector. I would have thought they’d have deleted the saucer deflector when they added the engineering hull one, though.

“Run for your lives! This guy’s trying to comprehend something! He’s gonna blow!”

Dude, if you can’t provide a rational defense for something you’ve said, just admit it instead of trying to play the U MAD BRO card. That’s just embarrassing.