Picard show confirmed

Agreed. Khan is damned close, but UC hits my Cold War upbringing perfectly.

First Contact rules and is right up their with Kahn and Undiscovered Country as the best Trek flicks.

I can’t think of any reason for any Trek fan not to experience it once. No true fan would have skipped any of the films, you filthy casual.

That’s the same argument my wife used on me to get me to watch Batman and Robin last year. I still have regrets.

Nemesis is absolute garbage.

It’s better than the Orville movie will be.

For Science! Which was the worst?

• Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
  • Star Trek Nemesis
  • Sh!t Bonerz

0 voters

Aw man, I can’t do it. They’re both so bad in completely different ways. And as much as I love Trek in general, they’re probably the only two movies that if I were to come by them while flipping channels, I’d just keep on clicking.

I’ve seen V more recently. This means it has that big strike against it. I’m not sure it’s onestly worse though! @divedivedive I feel your pain.

Going with V simply because the original movies could be quite good. While the only TNG one I enjoy is First Contact.

Yeah, I said it, I like first contact, especially the ending.

Indeed! On one hand, dune buggy. On the other, what does God need with a space buggy? I can’t pick between them.

And, warts and all, I did enjoy First Contact, like @CraigM .

Mostly because nothing about it is Star Trek.

It’s a car chase with purple bazookas. In Star Trek.

It feels just so random and out of place. It’s like I’m watching Schindler’s List and then a little girl with a red dress appears and the film cuts into a musical scene from Moulin Rouge.

At least he’s on Earth and younger, so it sort of makes sense in context, though I wasn’t a fan of it.

Dune buggy chases on another planet though? Uhhhh. No.
Red Letter Media goes over it many times over the years and how silly and annoying it is.

Oh right Beyond. I never saw that, but same thing would apply. Stupid action for stupid action’s sake in a series that was mostly defined by being smart.

I actually don’t consider the dune buggy all that bad, at least in the balance of the other crimes Nemesis commits. And while I don’t generally like to dwell too much on things that I don’t like (hey, there might be Nemesis fans, I don’t need to piss in their cereal), I’ll at least mention a couple things that bug me:

1. It’s basically a Khan rehash, and not a good one. As much as the destruction of the Enterprise has become a tired trope, so has the sacrifice of a crew member. And then they go and cut the legs out from under Data’s sacrifice at the end with B4!

2. Shinzon makes absolutely no sense. The Romulans brilliant plan was to clone Picard, age him up, and send him back as a spy? Step 3, profit I guess? Then some other Romulans figure out this is kind of a dumb idea and discard Shinzon, which brings me to:

3. Oh yeah, there were totally Remans all this time, you just never saw them. Look, I’m all for finding ways to shoehorn Ron Perlman into your movie with weird makeup, but what the hell? The Remans just hang out on this whole other planet which, oh yeah that was always there to (whistles innocently)

So yeah, next to all that, I don’t much give a damn for a dune buggy here or there. May as well have made the whole movie a dune buggy race as far as I’m concerned.

I mean sure, but it was still stupid. It’s just that the rest of it was so much more stupid.

When I see that dune buggy scene, I’m always reminded of Kevin Smith’s story about Superman, Jon Peters and the Giant Spider. I can imagine something similar went on with this, “you can write a new Star Trek movie as long as you include a buggy scene.”.

Also, I quite like Insurrection. I wouldn’t claim it has the greatest story but I always thought it captured the essence of TNG best. Nemesis seemed like a massive over correction to it, ramping up the drama and jeopardy as much as possible.

That’s one reason I don’t like to unload on stuff I personally don’t like, because there’s always fans out there and who am I to tell them they’re wrong? It doesn’t offend me that this movie exists, it just seems, I don’t know - superficial is the word that comes to mind. Not that Trek is always deep, nor does it always need to be, but yeah, I’m sure they could have crafted a story that made me forget that they invented the Remans whole cloth for this movie.

For what it’s worth, I don’t consider myself much of a TNG fan, but neither am I really a hater. It doesn’t have the tight grip on my imagination the way TOS did, so maybe that makes it easier for me to criticize. I will say that, like @Synth, I kinda like Insurrection. It feels like a slightly bigger, slightly higher budget episode, but it was at least consistent with what TNG was all about in a way that First Contact and Nemesis weren’t, in my opinion.

Well I think it sucks that you don’t like to unload on stuff, and totally shit on your opinion!

I tend to agree. It was the only TNG movie that felt like TNG really.