Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I think the further stretch goals may have a chance if funding is kept open after the fig campaign, which seems to be the norm these days.

I do really like the ship feature and related gameplay. From my earliest AD&D sessions, I always thought ship battles and travel, etc. would be a lot of fun in an RPG and I loved the way the Ultima series dabbled with ship combat, but nothing since has really picked up the baton and done it in comprehensive way (spelljammer, I guess, but not really the same). About time.

[quote=“Desslock, post:153, topic:128205, full:true”]
I think the further stretch goals may have a chance if funding is kept open after the fig campaign, which seems to be the norm these days.[/quote]

Sure, although 5M still seems like a stretch. It’s probably worth repeating that of the current 3.2M in funding, half of that is coming from Fig. There’s some agreement in place that will say whatever it caps at but we don’t know it, and I would assume that it will be tied directly to the fig campaign and not paypal/etc. But this is another way of me saying it could easily clear another 500k in total, just during the campaign. So I won’t be at all surprised to see multiple goals hit this week, and more down the road. Or if it just sort of peters out. I’m satisfied with what we’ve gotten so far. I would certainly love to see more islands make it in.

For me, obtaining a ship in Ultima 3/4 is an indelible memory tied into 80s gaming. It was an amazing “I need to go explain to every human being that I know that I just did this thing in this game even though most of them don’t even understand computer games let alone of the significance of getting a ship in Ultima” moment. I’ve rarely seen it’s comparison.

It won’t work exactly like that here, but the presence of the ship will still capture a lot of the same awesomeness that came with it. Just the idea that the map suddenly opened wide, and that far off mysteries were now there for the finding. It was such an emotional high to kid me. Didn’t matter how many times I played 3 or 4. Every time I got a ship it was the same rush.

You know, if I hadn’t seen these videos I’d say we were 18 months out minimum. Maybe longer. But this stuff looks pretty polished. Do we have any sort of ETA for POE:D?

Yes, I agree ship bases feel more down-to-earth (I get the irony) then getting a huge free fortress.

I keep seeing “2018” so I assume about a year from now…

This will be the third game Obsidian made with the engine. I imagine they’re pretty good at rapid prototyping by now. There’s still a ton of content to be made for a huge RPG like PoE2.

Second-best tabletop campaign we ever played back in the day was centered around being the “senior” crew of a pirate ship. So much fun.

Yes Tyranny was out quick from announcement (it felt) though ultimately shorter (maybe MUCH shorter) on content than Pillars.

Tyranny took me 50 hours, but I took my time and read everything, explored what I could, etc. It took me 50 hours, but it seems there are people that it did in half that. Wasn’t PoE more around 100 hours? Tyranny also felt kind of rushed to me, I think they could have done a lot more with it.

Pillars took me 63 hours according to Steam and I did basically everything including both DLCs. All I skipped was a couple of bounties (because there’s no story to them and I didn’t need rewards at all by then) and the companion quests for the companions I didn’t use.

Almost $500k today already, closing in on $3.5. Guess a lot of people wait.

Not entirely sure I understand that - isn’t the amount coming from Fig just the amount that has been crowdsourced from people who would rather “invest” rather than just preorder a game? The investment terms seemed difficult to decipher

[quote=“Desslock, post:162, topic:128205, full:true”]
Almost $500k today already, closing in on $3.5. Guess a lot of people wait.[/quote]

Up to 3.7M. It hits the 3.75 stretch goal in a couple of hours tops I would guess.

The 4.25M stretch goal is an intelligent soulbound weapon. I hope we make that (and think we will at this pace)

You know, I’m not sure either. I just read the caption again and we may both be right (from the help icon):

[quote]
The anticipated amount Fig will directly fund the developer for the development of the game, from its [Fig? how I read it - PD] working capital funded in part by the investment process[/quote]

I. . . I feel even less sure of what that means than before. I hadn’t paid much attention to the “funded in part” bit. But that makes it sound like it does come from people who opt to invest instead of just back. But I also still read it as coming from “Fig magic”. Maybe the fig magic is in helping to match the game with angels who have spare change lying around, who are getting game shares or whatever at 1 per 1k.

Investments are absolutely being counted-- all the crowdfund tiers add up to only $1.16m right now.

Very interesting to see how successful Fig is in attracting investors. I guess it makes sense as PoE1 sold at least 700k copies so you’re looking at a potential 13-20% return and get to support something you love.

Is it fair to compare the number of backers? Did 1 pick up more people after the end of the Kickstarter? POE 1 had 73,986, while 2 has 29 thousand so far.

Going off of achievements, not even half of the people who played the first one even completed Act I. Makes me curious how well 2 will do. How many people tried the first game, didn’t like it and won’t be buying a sequel?

That’s absolutely fair. PoE1 had 40k backers at the “just give me the game as cheap as possible” tiers, and PoE2 only has 14k.

While both products raised around $4m, we know that $2.2m of PoE2 came from investments, not crowdfunders. And investing doesn’t include a copy of the game.

The pertinent question was “what else is being counted” (if at all).

Not sure where you got that 1.16m figure from. The “graph” says they have 1.84m in pledges (they hit the 3.75m bonus goal just recently, heh).

I literally added up the numbers from the pledges on the right side of the page. If they don’t match whatever graph you’re reviewing, there’s another discrepancy.

I assume a significant part of the downswing in overall backers is that they are using Fig, which a) doesn’t have the internet presence of Kickstarter and b) many people are suspicious about for reasons that seem mostly spurious.

Click the graph icon next to the “progress bar” and you can see the breakdown. I did an unofficial tally of the numbers on the right side and came out way higher than you: just under 1.8M. have no doubt I’ve missed things (missing tiers, numbers changing before my eyes, etc). The time difference between your claim and mine can’t explain it (only 480k in total funding has appeared since then).

I can see reasons for the current “graph” being at 2m but my total being below that, beyond any mistakes I might have (probably did) make.

It’s also a post Kickstarter boom era. I’m not saying a game can’t do with Pillars did (or games like Torment), but I think it’s less likely now. I think backers are more likely to be the sort of people who don’t care if the project pans out, mixed in with the gorgnard fans of this dev or that genre (or both). Some people are miffed Obsidian is returning to crowd funding (not me, it mitigates significant risk), and those sorts of people p robably aren;'t inclined to back a lot of crowdfunded projects anyway.

The only reason I was asking about subscriber numbers previously is I was wondering how close the “per subscriber” $$ numbers were. And I think they’re pretty close (just figuring the pledges/backers here, assuming the pledged number is right heh), which is pretty cool. Lots of people backing this one at luxury levels, just like the first.

And we’re within 70k of the intelligent soulbound weapon, with 6 hours to go give or take. 4.5M is hiring a crew for the ship, and they can level their crew abilities over time.

I am curious to know if the saved games are accessible even if you have deleted Pillars. I played the game, bounced off it, left it alone, bought White March 1 and 2, enjoyed it, finished it, and mostly enjoyed the ending.

Then deleted it and played Tyranny. So, should I play Pillars again to have a save game ready or is there a cloud save floating about somewhere?

I know there’s a multiple choice thingy for starting Pilalrs 2 but I’d rather have “me” back in the fray.

Might have another playthrough anyway, try that melee wizard build linked a few posts back…

Deleting/uninstalling a steam game doesn’t remove save games except for rare (and old) games that store them in the game directory. Most games use your Documents\ or Documents\My Games folder. So unless you deleted them yourself, you should still have them.