Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

That was an excellent campaign. I’m so happy to see Obsidian in the position to work on a sequel to one of their own properties. We don’t deserve them!

Do we know anything about what form the 50% off Tyranny coupons will take? I actually bought the game on sale from Steam the other day before remembering I was going to get that discount eventually. Luckily I hadn’t booted the game yet and Steam refunded me no problem.

This is what we know (unless there’s some other info out there I missed):

They can be redeemed on Paradox’s website for a Steam code after the campaign is over, they can be used for any version of Tyranny you would like, and they will be good for three months.

That’s from an update on Project Eternity Kickstarter page.

They mentioned that it may be a couple of weeks before the codes go out.

Yep, here’s the bit from the FAQ on fig:

After the campaign, your pledge will be moved over to our backer portal (website) - the same one we used for Pillars of Eternity 1. Once that is active, you will be able to get the coupon from there. Each coupon code will be unique, and if you want you can give it to someone else. The coupon itself will be good for 90 days, will be redeemable on Paradox’s website for a Steam key of Tyranny, and can be used for any version of Tyranny on Paradox’s website (not just the base version).

Backer Portal transition is complete for fig pledges.

So I went on over and completed my pledge to get the 50% Tyranny coupon to redeem at the Paradox Store. Not sure I’ll go ahead with it yet, considering the US exchange rate to Canada is so bad. Right now, at regular price, it’s about a $9 savings on the recent Steam sale I skipped while waiting for the coupon, likely meaning deeper discounts may be had without having to make a buy through Paradox. I have a bit of time to decide, so I’ll keep the price tracking going. I’ll be getting Tyranny at some point anyway, but I’ve no need to jump on the game just yet.

Man, so many great changes.

• Being able to change the ground target to re-direct where a mage casts a spell/ability is incredibly useful.
  • The new and improved tool tips look perfect.
  • The change to a Penetration vs the old Damage Threshold should simplify things without sacrificing depth.
  • I freaking love that you can now pre-cast a Touch based spell and hold it until your next attack (complete with sexy spell effect gloving your arm)!
  • Combat Log filters - sort the action by character! Genius!

I agree, these look all positive shifts. The usefulness of spells (area and touch) just bumped up a notch and is bound to make combat more enjoyable. Missing AoE spells is the bane of many a caster.

Since I recently started yet another PoE play thru, that video looks fantastic to this addict.

Some gameplay from E3 over at IGN. This is shaping up very nicely, indeed!

Don’t have time to watch that currently, but someone who has, why is the thumbnail for the video a POE 1 location?

IGN can set whatever thumbnail they want, I don’t really know why it would be a location from POE 1. I watched it, it’s entirely POE2 footage and it looks awesome.

Here is a screenshot from the video:

Do you revisit POE 1 locations in 2 by chance? Doesn’t really matter, just curious. Will watch the video tonight.

Screenshots like the one you posted make it look great. Can’t tell you how excited I am for this game. POE is easily my game of the year so far. It took me 3 tries over 2(?) years to get into it, but once it did, I was hooked.

Yeah, it’s one of my all time favs.

I didn’t actually see that thumbnail in the video that I remember, and I went back and skipped around looking for it, too. It’s really odd now you mention it, they would have had to manually put that in… you know what probably happened? Someone at IGN didn’t like any of the options YouTube gave, and wanted a nice looking full screen/no UI image to make the thumbnail and just used this. That’s my guess.

Video looks fantastic and this is probably close to the top, if not the top, game that I’m waiting for these days. I think I’ll be trying to find anything that limits being knocked down, stunned, grabbed, or slowed by the looks of it.

From the video: they are trying to slow down combat a little bit, and make the feedback clearer. While I got used to the combat in the first game, this is music to my ears.

I have to say PoE is in my top 10 of all-time favs. I just started yet another new game with a cipher this time. I just can’t seem to step away from it for too long.

I ended up liking Pillars a lot more than Tyranny, so Pillars 2 should be pretty good - especially if they incorporate some of the mechanics improvements from Tyranny - like how potions are used.

Oh yeah, this was an amazing idea I’d like to see implemented for sure.