Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

For me it was more of a content problem. The encounters felt much more repetitive in Tyranny. While the story was good enough in Tyranny, I enjoyed it more in Pillars.

Oh I completely agree, although I really enjoyed Tyranny, combat needed more enemy types and more interesting battles in general. Combat seemed tacked on at times. I just mean I really liked the UI, skill system, etc and would like to see them in POE 2.

Everyone seems to prefer the skeleton of Tyranny but the meat of POE.

Makes sense since Tyranny was a refinement of what they had done with Pillars. Even Pillars evolved a lot from release through all the patches and expansions.

Do we have an eta on Pillars 2? Frankly – Tyranny was better and for a buncha reasons, but was short.

Q1 2018 I think.

New backer video covers some more of the features and improvements they are working on, including proper flail physics, Ogre’s rather unique ability, and more.

Of particular note is they have implemented a feature where when you pause the action, the effects and particles onscreen will fade/become opaque which will allow the moment to be better read by the player, rather than having a red hot, recently detonated fireball confuse things. Best of all, they are hoping to put a slider in the options to control the translucence of the particles, so you can remove the feature, or even make all special effects completely invisible on pause.

Yep, these are great quality of life improvements for the game, and I’m happy to see them. Hope we can smash that ogre’s mug.

Love the new inventory screen.

In case anyone is interested, you can contact Obsidian support via their Deadfire pledge page and upgrade your pledge to a higher tier if you so desire. I bumped the $45 Premium Digital up to the CE + Statue, which ranked my inner Nerd class up to level 19. I expected to be told no, can’t be done, so was pleasantly surprised. Next is to probably buy the painted companion miniatures as an add-on sometime this fall.

I started a new PoE campaign, this time with a elf cipher. This game really shined for me once it was patched up and the DLCs were added. Probably my favorite game of this decade so far (which is how in my mind I’m justifying being dumb enough to pay $250+ for its sequel).

Heh, those are exactly the things I got as well (CE plus statue and the painted miniatures). I’m just finally going through Pillars for the first time, but everything I’ve seen about the sequel looks even better. I would like to play Pillars through a couple of times too before it’s out.

Looks like they’re really pushing the party stash as opposed to fiddly individual inventories. I think this is a good move.

Obsidian finally processed my tier bump so I have Steam keys for the Hero and Royal editions (one each). PM me if interested in playing the game (first come, first served).

Edit: Keys are claimed.

Update on multi-classing. Spoilers, it sounds awesome.

Diary that talks about it if you prefer text is here:

How did I miss this?

Ahhh - it was when I was on vacation :-)

I think I’m one of the minority that liked Pillars better than Tyranny, but Tyranny did have some game play and polish improvements. I just thought the content was so much better in Pillars, even though it could have used some better difficulty balancing.

The in-game stuff looks phenomenal. A real improvement to character and monster models, not to mention the effects.

Pillars is vastly superior to Tyranny in tone and content.

Yep, they are knocking it out of the park with what they are showing in these updates. If the multiclassing adds enough variety, it’ll boost the replay value even that much more. Love that they are showing the skill trees (active and passive) so you can see every bit of the progression from the start.

As much as I enjoyed Tyranny, PoE is a step above it. If Deadfire can take some of the good out of Tyranny and add it to the improvements from PoE, it will be fantastic.

I guess I’m not the only one who preferred Pillars! Has a release date been announced?

Yeah, there are a few gameplay mechanics from Tyranny I wouldn’t mind seeing added to Deadfire.

I’ve never been a fan of multi-classing in RPGs, even back to late 70s D&D. I only made one so I could have a 1st edition bard (OP as all hell). So I doubt I dabble too much with it in Deadfire. Seems counter-productive to lose those really high-end class powers for lower/weaker abilities. But we’ll see. A templar just sounds cool. Imagine that Concelhaut battlemage I linked a few times in the PoE thread having a few fighter levels thrown in since it tops out well before level 16.

Sometime next year, robc04.

Thanks John. No doubt I’ll be getting this. I haven’t looked at any of the dev diaries, but maybe I should. Do they tend to reveal anything that would be more fun to learn about through playing?