Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I put one together this morning that covers a Sorcerer (special nod to anyone that gets the reference to her name) and another look at the Psyblade, this time built as a Black Jacket ranged character.

In addition, I cover how camping works in the game, as well as answer questions about power levels, character resource pools, and empowered abilities that you guys all know already but may still get some info out of.

A great article!

It’s been a long time since I played PoE1. Any idea how much it would enhance the experience to have the PoE1 story and characters fresh in my head when I play PoE2? I’m hoping it doesn’t matter too much because I think I’d get burned out playing PoE1 now and 2 when it comes out soon.

I was wondering this myself, because reading through the “import choices” I don’t remember like… half of them? But I don’t think it’s going to make a massive difference. I mean, you’ll enjoy picking up on stuff you did or recall from your time with the first game of course, but I think that’s a net positive from a neutral state. By contrast, I don’t believe not remembering stuff is going to take away from the experience.

That said, a simple read on a wiki to recap things might not be a terrible idea. I started over a new game and had completely forgotten about the Saint’s War, for instance, and I suspect a lot of those things will be referenced. But with the new tool tip system borrowed from Tyranny, I’m hopeful anything we may not remember will be easily picked up on by simply taking the time to hover over those highlighted text options and talking to NPCs.

That’s a good point. Also, I still enjoyed The Witcher 3 even though I didn’t remember much from 1 and 2. I guess I won’t sweat it.

Something else I just realized you could do, is if you have your poe1 save load it up and read your journal. It tracks all the decisions you made along the way as an ongoing story, if I remember right?

That is a good idea! I’ll have to check that out. Thanks!

Some of the extras may be good reading material too, like the Digital Campaign Almanac.

New code found here:

i2MrLF

Any idea what these scavenger hunt items are? I usually avoid any pre order type items because I worry that they will unbalance the game. Are they just cosmetic stuff, or extra lore? That would be OK, but I don’t want bonus equipment that is better than the regular starting stuff.

It’s all minor and/or cosmetic stuff. If you put all 55 codes in you’ll end up with an adorable cosmic pig wearing a pirate’s hat!

Here is what can be unlocked to date:

The last two items will be a sail (with the same symbol as the cloak of Berath) for your ship, and the last will be the cosmic pig pirate.

Thanks. That stuff doesn’t seem bad.

I fired up PoE1 and the journal does have the biography for your character, It appears pretty brief but it may be enough to spark some memories.

@AWS260 Awesome, lol!

Stream of a little high level gameplay starting any minutes now.

This video is awesome. The higher level stuff is f’n dope.

Fuck yeah it is.

Also, confirmed, new quality type past Superior! Yay!

Ask if there’s any fist weapons like cesti in the game for unarmed monks.

Is there a jai-alai minigame?

Interesting (non-spoiler) observations I made during the stream.

1 - As mentioned above, we have a tier of quality above Superb, called “Legendary”. If it follows established patterns, it will be +15 Accuracy, +4 Penetration, and +60% damage for weapons and +4 Armor Rating for armor.

2 - Multi-classed characters will have Power Level 6 (out of 7 max) at level 18.

3 - Single-class charaters will have Power Level 8 (out of 9) at level 18.

2a & 3a - In the last few months special care has been made to balance tier 7 abilities so they feel really good and powerful, being the high end for multi-class, and then again for 8th and 9th so single class characters are feeling good about that choice, as well.

4 - Level 18 characters have 5 uses of Empower.

5 - All the items that they did show off were freaking incredible.

5a - Some items seem capable of scaling off skills, such as Metaphysics.

6 - They showed off some of the pet bonuses, all pets have a little passive bonus applied to the party (and Eder will comment on the pets!) that seem neat, but not crazy. Like, +1 to the Power Level of anything with the Fire keyword.

7 - Confirmed, and not a surprise, no more Beta updates coming at this point. The game is so close to launch that there wouldn’t be turn around time to implement any feedback it could even provide.

8 - Lots of other details, like two-headed enemies having wider vision cones, were awesome little touches to hear about and see. It was a really cool dungeon with a fantastic few moments played on Veteran difficulty (and some Path of the Damned at the end).

I imagine it will be like BG2. Which is one of my favorite games of all time, even though I literally never played the first one and still haven’t really (I don’t think I’ve ever made it out of the starting zone transition). Low-level 2nd Edition suuuuuucks.