Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Ok. Tyranny failed because -

• Poor marketing.
  • It wasn’t very good.

0 voters

Tyranny was a great concept and I enjoyed it, but it felt too short. Things started happening and then it suddenly ended.

I’ll give it another shot one of these days, but something about it felt off. I really liked where they were going with it.

It was also a little haphazard. Normally you can tell how the convo’s gonna unfold in rpgs but in Tyranny all bets were off. I don’t know about the others but that did put me off the game a little.

I was put off by the combat, more specifically by how it seemed to me how each fight was remarkably similar. I don’t recall any fights being very difficult, and I think I failed one fight once, due to my own negligence as opposed to any challenge.

In PoE I recall several difficult fights, like the Bear near the beginning, Magran’s Faithful, that annoying Monk Leader, Concelhaut, the various Dragons…

And the Tyranny seemed to end slightly too early…

Then again, I am comparing white march fully updated PoE with un patched Tyranny…

So people who bought it or knew about the game think it didn’t sell well because of poor marketing. This thread might get biased results. The game got plenty of attention on game forums, and as we can see in the comments here, a lot of people were kind of meh on it.

I only saw Tyranny because I was looking through the New Releases list on Steam, but I also think the game has enough missteps that it makes sense it would have failed to earn word of mouth.

I do think Tyranny was one of the worst marketed RPGs in recent memory and that both impacted sales and is reflective of a lack of confidence and support from creators/publisher

I didn’t hear about it until after release; which is very unusual for an Obsidian game. Even with the mixed reception, I would be tempted to give it a try… if I didn’t have three other RPGs from the Kickstarter flood to play.

I do not believe Tyranny failed. Per the quote above, “Tyranny did okay”. It came in “just under projections”. Is that failure in the gaming industry now?

If Tyranny had a problem it was the lack of polish and the failure of the 3rd Act to complete a good setup. The 3rd Act is little more than a series of boss fights with no exploration and a somewhat ambiguous ending. If these things had been better, the word of mouth probably would have propelled it to better sales numbers. If the marketing had been better then it would probably have sold better. But I would not categorize it as a failure. It was a case of it being almost a great game.

Marketing aside, there’s a bunch of posts in this very thread with a “meh” take on Tyranny. It doesn’t sound surprising that it did okay or came just under projections. It doesn’t sound like it was a bad game, but I haven’t seen many people that own it rave about it either. If it ever had good word of mouth, I would have picked it up.

Which is all totally fine, no one hits a home run every time.

Decided to buy the unpainted versions of the miniatures offered as add-ons to my Elite Collector’s + Statue Deadfire purchase like a good Obsidian fanboy yesterday. The latest dev update on multi- and sub-classing really got my nerd juices flowing for this game.

Ha. Good for you! I wish I had the extra funds to spend these days, I would be all over supporting them and grabbing some fancy swag.

Anyone note whether they’re using the ‘camping’ mechanic with four camping supplies again this time, to wash away wounds and rejuvenate spells? I didn’t really mind it, but it was a little odd that no one would interrupt my 8 hours of sleep in a creature infested dungeon. Perhaps they’ll add potential interrupts in hostile (non-cleared) areas? That was something that was around back in the day.

But then do you lose your camping supplies? I don’t think rest interruptions would work well with limited rests.

The problem with Tyranny was the repetitive combat. There was lots of it and it was all the same. PoE had similar issues, but it was not as bad as Tyranny in that regard. Part of the reason combat was the same was that you almost always fought a human, the only difference was the faction they worked for. Its not like you had to fight the acid blob that spawned smaller acid blobs, or phase spiders or whatever. It was just dudes in armor and sometimes they cast the same spells you did.

Also the magic didn’t have much utility. It was mostly a few buffs and then fire damage or ice damage or electrical damage.

DOS:2 should be looked at how you make combat in RPGs interesting. You have high / low ground. You have hazards like oil / poison / fire / etc… Then a lot of spells and abilities with reactive effects.

PoE and Tyranny pale by comparison. I am sure PoE did better because of the nostalgia, but other than the story, I found it to be a dull game as well.

The Backer Beta is live, according to an email I just got.

$20 to add-on the beta.

I am super fucking tempted…

I hate the new UI, I’ll say that much. I think I’m going to uninstall it before it jaundices me toward the full game too much.

What wrong with the UI? I just played for a few hours and didn’t have any problems with it.

If it’s the layout, you can actually adjust that in-game.

I don’t like the character or inventory screens at all. They’re probably more functional in terms of info presented and the layout, but first impressions based on appearance weren’t good for me.

I also hate the character bars. Turning on a chanter’s chant, for example, gives a green dot rather than a circling outline and it was abstracted out into a menu rather than being on the main bar.

I agree with the green dot vs. an animated/lit icon. I see others suggested something similar on the backer beta forum.

As for inventory, I’m not sure I follow. It doesn’t really seem much different to me than the first game?

Here is a shot I grabbed from a recent youtube video of the inventory from the first game.

I guess the layout is a lot more different than it felt to me, which could be why it didn’t bother me. You still pick which character you want to have selected, the party inventory is open on every character (a huge improvement in my book), and the stats are still on the left with inventory on the right. The main 3D model is larger which is fine, but the icons are too small to fit in the allotted equip spaces - though I assume a lot of this is all temporary.

Yeah, looking at these two, I don’t see a whole lot of difference, just some fine tuning here and there.

I do like the new mechanics, like penetration. I’ll play for a bit and try to get a handle on all this and hopefully be able to speak with more authority on it, maybe put a video together showing off character creation (which is awesome) or something here in a bit.

Does it include the Tyranny improvements like showing dps of weapons?