Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I put a screenshot up just above your question that shows the weapon “card” and I don’t see a DPS - there is a weapon speed and damage, but there are other factors well which might make it not work, like penetration value + armor of target. Displaying “18 dps” doesn’t work if you are fighting an enemy with no armor… or super heavy armor.

I did drink a potion and it was not instant like in Tyranny, either, which is a shame and maybe I’ll bring that up in the backer beta forum.

{As for the beta itself}

The game seems pretty solid right now, but there are a lot of little things (a few typos, frame rate issues, temporary artwork, etc.) that you’d expect in a beta (the day it is released) for a game that’s half a year out. Not as many as I was prepared though, but then they had an entire previous game and two expansions to build their craft. The new mechanics run hot and cold for me. I like how multi-classing works, that seems kinda awesome, and I am intrigued (but not completely sold so far) on Penetration (which works like this - if your total penetration value is equal to or exceeds your targets armor score, you deal normal damage on a hit. If you are under, you deal 70% LESS damage, and if you are double his armor value, 70% greater damage). Some tweaking to enemy armor values and the mechanic itself needs to be made, those are too big of jumps, I feel like.

I’m also less a fan of the changes to feats/abilities. Previously, you could pick from a master list of feats every few levels and those also contained your class abilities. Now your abilities come in the form a skill tree, which is itself great, but what’s on the tree is all you get. Wizards pick their spells here, so do Priests, and that’s all they seem to get. What if I wanted my Wizard to have a +20% fire damage feat? What if I wanted my Rogue to have a bonus against Will tests? That’s the biggest kerfluffle on the threads right now, I haven’t read anyone that likes this change, so like many of the systems in place (and there are several not yet in place, according to the video I linked above) I suspect it will change at least once before launch, probably a few times.

There are some really cool ideas here, like being able to assign a food item during camp to provide a boost, like giving some meat grants +1 might or eating some type of fish could grant you +5 health. I like that all abilities are per combat, even spells (I had 2 level one, 2 level two, and 1 level three spell to cast as a 6th level Wizard, per battle) and that every class has some uses of an Empower ability that can either super charge any one ability/spell or could be spent to restore some of your per encounter abilities. That seems cool so far.

I don’t know how much of this I’ll play, at least this early in, but I do want to get a notepad out and maybe jot down my thoughts and observations so I can be part of the process and help shape the game a little bit.

Let me know if you make a video.

Another thing I didn’t like was the weapon proficiency. . .felt too DnD-ish.

You’re such a millennial.

Overall I’m pleased with where it is with 8+ months left until release. I’m surprised some of the things from Tyranny didn’t make it in - am I confused, or isn’t Tyranny the same engine?

Heh, I’m actually a baby boomer. Scott made quite a few PoE videos a few years ago that I enjoyed. . .thus my comment.

I was trying to oblige, even had about 10-12 minutes of footage as I walked through my thoughts and realized I hadn’t resumed recording after a very early interruption. So I’d been talking to myself. Now all the TV the kids and I watch is starting up so I’ll do it tomorrow. On the plus side I’ll know more about what I want to say for sure for the first bit of the video! :)

I know. I was trying to make a funny.

Great. Nothing I like better than obfuscating an already murky RPG system! Looking forward to debates about which does more dps, a “slow” pistol vs. a “very slow” arquebus.

I thought baby boomers were better with irony.

Better still with very irony.

Update 1 dropped a little bit ago, with some big changes based on feedback. One that’s a bit decisive amongst the fan base that I personally love is now Might, rather than being a representative of overall damage for all things from spells to weapon use, is now physical weapons only (in terms of bonus damage) while Resolve is now how you boost spell damage. This is a wonderful change to me - no longer will EVERY class need at least a 12-14 Might minimum, which was kind of boring.

I rolled up a Wizard to play around with and I’m happy with every change I noticed, though there are still some oddities in the UI and gameplay/performance that I attribute to more polish needed, but it’s a huge step in the right direction.

I freaking love the way this game looks. And that combat log is glorious!

One interesting thing they changed, the average cooldown on many things, especially one handed weapons, was increased. This gives an overall heavier/slower “pace” to the combat that I really noticed/appreciated immediately. I’ll probably roll up a proper character and try to do some actual fights (the above was way over my starting level, and I was warned it would be but wanted to try it out anyway).

Here are all the changes/additions:

It works only if there’s still a good reason to take Might on a caster, just at a lesser quantity. Otherwise it becomes the Diablo 3 problem, where sure there are 3 stats but each class takes one and ignores the others so you might as well just call it “Attack Power” and stop wasting everyone’s time.

Kind of. Strength contributes to Fortitude, as does Constitution. Dex/Per contribute to Reflex, and Int/Res contribute to Will, while each has a primary benefit. SO you can lower your STR but doing so weakens your Fortitude checks (and also reduces weapon damage).

So a purge glass cannon mage can get away with low STR but a multi-class character or a character on a higher difficulty setting may not as easily.

I saw this mentioned in the notes but completely forgot to look into it, but the beta now lets us customize the AI routines, sort of like Dragon Age Origins or FF12 did. I haven’t looked at this myself but a video that just came out shows off the changes made to the latest backer beta (including global reduction in speeds by 15% to make the combat more methodical/better paced) shows it off pretty well.

Oh hell yes

Now I am very excited!

Ugh. At the very least, I hope it’s all available up front, not commands that are given out to you piecemeal over time.

I can’t think of any reason for such a reaction, unless you believe this stuff will be mandatory. It won’t be! There are already pre-sets you can use if you want (like, “Fighter Aggressive” or “Wizard Defensive”). Otherwise, this should either be neutral news or amazing news to everyone.

And yes, this isn’t like the gambit system where you have to “collect” anything - it’s more like Dragon Age where you just define your options immediately, probably after you level up and encounter something that makes you want to tweak.

I personally prefer mostly manual control, but having a few “attack target” for melee attacks, health and maybe debuff recovery, and a few staple abilities ready to go is just awesome to me.

After it worked out so well in those two games, I expected most every RPG to copy the system. Instead it just faded away. Really glad to see PoE2 adopting this.