Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Not sure if this was already mentioned here or not, but PoE 2 will be on consoles at the end of the year (including the Switch).

http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/blogs/generic/post.aspx?WeblogApp=news&y=2018&m=02&d=06&WeblogPostName=pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-coming-to-consoles&GroupKeys=

That’s… VERY interesting…

What? What?

Excuse me as I go off somewhere to silently scream “yes”.

The switch version is gonna need a special mode for handheld display. Otherwise they are going to need to pack in a magnifying glass with each copy to read the text.

Yeah, there will be a lot of challenges to make the port work on hand held mode, for sure. But if they can actually pull it off holy crap, I may have to get a copy then because playing in on the go would be amazing.

This could be amazing.

I’m one of those that love all the gameplay customizing and think that it’s all good, even if I don’t make use of a particular feature. When it’s nigh impossible to please everyone, you cancel out the complaints by letting people do what they want.

There was a stream last night Josh was on and I’m listening to it now as a podcast and he’s really selling me on the ship combat, especially once they make the tweaks he’s talking about (making it more readable/understandable). It sounds really fun, once it’s fleshed out I think I’ll love it.

And THANK THE MAKER - Josh talked about how both beta testers and internal folks really hated losing a spell when they moved or changed spells mid-casting (especially when the AI is the one that started the spell) or misclicking and moving. They are changing that so you don’t lose the spell, you can pick a different spell or move and cast and still have that spell slot available.

I still have about 45 minutes left to listen and I’ve heard some great stuff so far, very cool tips and details from Josh Sawyer in this stream. Here is a link.

Watching Josh Sawyer explain the ship to ship combat I apprecaite it and really like it a lot, actually. It has a ton of potential, and doing it like they did (text and sound) actually makes it a lot deeper and more RPG like which I’m a fan of.

Have to admit, I was not excited about the ship combat but watching them play out a scenario absolutely fascinated me. And Triumphs! Yes, definitely a collectors dream. As long as each ship battle feels somewhat different than the previous, it’s a cool mini-game within the overall journey.

Well all the hype for Deadfire got me to go back to PoE1 for what must be the 6th or 7th time to try and ‘get it’ - none of my previous starts got past Caed Nua before I gave up in frustration at all the made up proper nouns and the requirement to build your character stats before you knew what any of the stats were or did.

But I dove into it again - and I was rewarded with that great experience you have when you beat your head against a game over and over and suddenly it just clicks - what was maddeningly obtuse is now clear and logical. I started on easy, but I quickly ramped it up to normal, and then to hard, and microing fights with all my party’s buffs and debuffs and special abilities is the most fun I’ve had in a game for ages.

I started a playthrough with a Monk using this build. Scroll down to “Monk Akagi.”. I only made it to the village before a bug hit and then real life, but he was kicking arse!

I just started playing Divinity Sin 2 this week, I’ve never played a game like this until now (I’ve always been more of a JRPG guy) and I have to say it has been many many years since I’ve been hooked onto this type of experience, I haven’t been able to put it down and quite frankly it’s completely taken over my life and I’m okay with it. How does Pillars of Eternity match up in comparison? Either way I’m probably definitely going to try this and any other recommends like this would be highhhhly appreciated.

I took a look at PoE 1 and I will confess I’m kind of against playing it seeing how great the new one looks as oppose to playing the first one near release…

I can understand this. I really do like PoE1 a lot but the new game has a lot of new mechanics and cleaner gameplay so far. I think at this point with it only 5-6 weeks away and you still having weeks of Divinity 2 ahead of you, just hold off and play Deadfire. You’ll be starting over at level 1 and an all new adventure with just a few returning characters and such anyway, and my guess is there will be some sort of “refresher” on the story beats that do matter.

But to clarify - Deadfire is real time w/pause and not turn based, so it plays quite a bit differently than DoS2 in that way. Both are awesome though, so it wouldn’t surprise me if enjoying one leads to enjoying the other.

These games are crazy to me, they are like, multiplayer optional MMOs and i didn’t even know this kind of game existed, I mean, I know there’s Elder Scrolls, but I never really got into it, but I can’t put Divinity down AT ALL. I’ll do my homework on the combat system for Deadfire, I’m more of a real time guy anyway but I think what I love about Divinity is that I have to bring intelligence to my game play and it challenges my tactics and smarts, not just my coordination or stats.

All this Deadfire talk made me fire up the original, and to my surprise I found that I had two separate builds right at the end of the game. I’m just not a fan of jumping into that well and being stuck into the final section, with no means of leaving; not unless I’ve done every interesting side quest left to do. My one build, a cipher, has a pretty decked out party at level 15.5 and so I decided to hit the Siege of Cragholdt/Concelhaut section and I’m handling all those mercs outside fairly well. Helps when you can dominate half of them.

From the original Pillars thread:

I was under the impression the ship combat was entirely text based. This video shows I was wrong.

I will now buy this on release :).

Good deal, I’d hate for that to be what held you back, especially after I watched him walk some guy (some twitch person) through it for a bit and there are lots of crazy stuff that can happen, from a cannonball taking out the gunpowder reserves, to fires starting, to all sorts of fun “ships at sea” type events. Also, the idea there are different types of ships, sort of Elite Dangerous style, with different slots to put cannons and such (such as a really fast ship with forward cannons designed to give pursuit) really helped sell me on it, as well.

This is our first look at the character model for Ydwin, an elven Cipher (and/or Rogue; in Deadfire every companion has one of two classes or you can multiclass them into both, you (somehow?) get to choose when you first have them join your party). I really like the ways the models look in the new game, though she’s pretty creepy. Right out of Bloodbourne.

The ship combat, is that just your crew fighting on the deck or can you and the party join in?

It’s both your crew, and your party, and I actually am pretty sure it’s also unused party members (they are on the ship when not in your party).